Uncoupler.

  • petethegricer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2014

      Hi All. Am i the only person that finds the lionel uncoupler system a bit "Hit And Miss". I'm using 0-27, have wired the uncoupler correctly (At least im certain i have, because being in the UK, i've had to use an MTH "Z controller" rehostat controller, fed with transformed power from a locally, well known makers transformer, and i'm not totally certain which terminals on the MTH controller are power or common). The loco's draws a lot of power so i have to run the train at full blast either way to make it uncouple, and then it dose'nt always uncouple. Suggestions will be most welcome.

      Peter Bird. England UK.

    • Skip
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2014
        Instead of using track power for the uncoupler there's usually ways to hook it up to constant power direct from the transformer's accessory posts?
        Skip

        There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is...
        -Albert Einstein-

        On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM, peter.frederickbird@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains] <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hi All. Am i the only person that finds the lionel uncoupler system a bit "Hit And Miss". I'm using 0-27, have wired the uncoupler correctly (At least im certain i have, because being in the UK, i've had to use an MTH "Z controller" rehostat controller, fed with transformed power from a locally, well known makers transformer, and i'm not totally certain which terminals on the MTH controller are power or common). The loco's draws a lot of power so i have to run the train at full blast either way to make it uncouple, and then it dose'nt always uncouple. Suggestions will be most welcome.

        Peter Bird. England UK.

      • bigal_956
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2014
          Yes, you can connect an O27 remote control track to external power making life a bit easier. However magnetic coupler uncoupling has always been 'hit-or-miss'. That's always been part of the fun.
        • petethegricer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2014

            Thanks for your answers chaps, i get the picture, it's always been hit and miss, LOL. Still I'll try powering the uncouplers from a separate power source, to stop the power drop to the loco's. Will just have to make sure I'me not getting the supply and common returns mixed up, since having to transform down from 220/230 volts i dont have lettered posts, so am not shure what is what.

            Regards.

            Peter Bird. England UK.

          • bigal_956
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2014
              To power an O27 control track from the transformer and not the track track take the bottom off the controller The wire going to the bottom most connector blade goes to the common return outside rail of the layout. The top most wire is the one that you need to route to another power source.
            • bigal_956
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 11, 2014
                Sorry I phrased that incorrectly. You unsolder the wires going to to the top and bottom contacts on the controller and solder new wires onto the terminals. The top most terminal connects to power and the bottom most goes to return. When you are finished only the center two contact wires need to be routed to the track.