Lionel Train on Antique Roadshow

  • brmjlm_5
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2014
      Was watching a episode of Antique Roadshow on PBS, and guess what was on? Nothing less than a orig Pink Lionel Train. Kinda fun to watch
      http://video.pbs.org/video/2230714717/

      Enjoy and don't forget to wipe up the drool when your done LOL

      Brendan
    • Toni & Brian
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2014

        Boy is Noel dreaming on the value!

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 19, 2014
          I see the appraiser is out of touch on the market..... IF had track and transformer....$1500

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 19, 2014
            Since they said they played with it, and had the original box, wouldn’t the track and transformer still be in the box?  I know, don’t assume what you don’t see.

            Bruce

            Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:44 PM

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
              Yes, agree, Noel is really out of touch with what is going on in the train market.  Lehigh Valley Coal Car shows evidence of some type of stain or rust on side.  The Book -  if only used once looks really tattered. 7 to 9 K in value is quite high even if all of the set was presented.  Yes as stated, no track or transformer and no evidence of the rest of the material (envelopes - CTC, etc.) which accompanies the set.  Will have to pass on this one if offered for sale.

              All for now.  bcd9  ∑:=)      (Bill P.)

            • blackcatd9
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
              • blackcatd9
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                  Just one more:   http://www.postwarlionel.com/1587S.html   the complete set as issued.

                  bcd9  ∑:=)

                • Tom
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                    There is a large brown box under one of the cars that has Lionel stamped on it.  It probably contains tracks and transformer.

                    Keep in mind that what they estimate and what you might actually get are two different things. It's a TV show and they need participants so naturally they're going to make the estimates much more attractive to get more people to come to the Road Show. It's a gimmick like all the other reality shows.

                    Wonder how many people are scouring their attics and basements this weekend looking for pink Lionel trains? Stay tuned to eBay and we'll eventually find out.

                    HAPPY EASTER!

                    Tom

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:44 PM

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                      Thanks for sharing .. I enjoyed it .. It was good to see the original owner..
                      Nobody wanted that set until it was considered rare
                      Thanks!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                        As far as price, I looked up the original air date, this was done several years ago. And to get a hefty price all you would have to do is get 2 or 3 people at auction really wanting the set and up the price goes
                         As far track, transformer etc. who knows. She said they played with it back in '57, but then put it away, and had not seen it since then. Parents may have kept it separate or they simply did not show it, or maybe the parents got rid of the track and other misc. and only kept the engine and cars. I guess will never know unless someone knows who that lady was and asks.

                        Happy Easter all

                        Brendan
                      • franktrainman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 20, 2014
                          This makes me happy. A few years ago I purchased from a going out of business local hoppy shop a lightly used girl's set for $400. Best regards, Frank Corley