736 Berkshire Magnetraction

  • first43113
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 23, 2014

      Greetings all-

      Do any of you happen to know if the iron poles can be easily removed (after removing all the wheels) in order to get access to the alnico magnet in the frame?

      I don't really want to remove the wheels only to discover that the iron poles won't come off easily.

      Many thanks!

      -Darrin

    • rjdenes
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 23, 2014
        It depends upon what loco you are working with.  Most magnets are tightly crimped into the frame to prevent them from migrating toward one of the drive wheels.  I recommend against attempting to remove them.
        Jim

        In a message dated 3/23/2014 2:30:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, strodude@... writes:

        Do any of you happen to know if the iron poles can be easily removed (after removing all the wheels) in order to get access to the alnico magnet in the frame?

      • Phil Vollelunga
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 23, 2014
          Hi all. I really enjoy this forum. This is a different topic, but can anyone give me some advice on a MTH F7 SP Daylight?

          It's been sitting on the shelf in my train room for about 7 years. I took it down to run it the other day and I get the bell and sound features but no motor. I use my trusty ZW for power and I'm sure I'm just forgetting something. It ran great last time I took it out.

          Thanks!

          Phil

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 23, 2014, at 1:30 PM, <strodude@...> wrote:

          Greetings all-

          Do any of you happen to know if the iron poles can be easily removed (after removing all the wheels) in order to get access to the alnico magnet in the frame?

          I don't really want to remove the wheels only to discover that the iron poles won't come off easily.

          Many thanks!

          -Darrin

        • Thomas McLean

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 24, 2014
              It could also be the rechargeable battery is beyond its shelf life, wont take a charge.  I once had to do a factory reset on a locomotive, took a couple of hours to get the sequence down.  The instruction manual didn’t have the proper sequence, but it gave me ideas of what I needed to do.

              Bruce

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 27, 2014
                Has the electronic reverse unit been accidentally locked in neutral?

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 28, 2014
                        Thanks. I pulled the body shell and found the rechargeable MTH 8.3V battery. Looks a lot like a standard 9V rechargeable battery.

                        I will get a new one. I bought this F7 SP Daylight set in 2001. Ran it a little and put it on a display shelf in my collection.

                        Most of stuff is prewar and postwar Lionel and Marx. Does anyone have MTH experience? I'm doing emails with their service department but it is a slow process.

                        Thanks for the help.

                        Phil

                        Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 28, 2014
                            Please start a new thread if you need to change the topic. It's not cool to Hijack.
                          • Bruce
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 28, 2014
                              Can you ? I would think the unit may attempt charge the battery. This may not be good for a non rechargeable type battery ?

                              On March 28, 2014 10:07:10 AM EDT, Thomas McLean <tmackinator@...> wrote:

[...]

                            • Gary Glaenzer
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 28, 2014

                                9 volt rechargeable @ Amazon:

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 28, 2014
                                  Thanks Gary😊

                                  Phil

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  On Mar 28, 2014, at 11:12 AM, "Gary Glaenzer" <glaenzer@...> wrote:

                                  9 volt rechargeable @ Amazon:

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 28, 2014
                                    Sorry😞

                                    Phil

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 29, 2014
                                      Thanks everyone. The engine was stuck in neutral.

                                       I spoke to a nice MTH technician and he helped me with the reset procedure (cycle the ZW throttle from off to full power 18 times, the with full power cycle the direction switch a few times and poof! Engine power!)

                                      I replaced the battery with a rechargeable 9v, tested the unit with a regular 9v.

                                      Thanks for the ideas and help. This procedure is something to tuck away in your tool kit if you run up against something similar.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 29, 2014
                                        Hi All,

                                        I've got an issue with my 623 Santa Fe switcher engine's front truck lifting off of my 022 switches when it makes the inside turn.  I've tried it on a number of different switches to make sure its not an issue with the one particular switch.  The 623 seems very light up front and that appears to be why it is the only engine I have that has an issue with the switches (ironic since it is a switcher engine).  Has anyone in the group run into this problem?  I opened up the 622 and the frame is rather hollow and I don't see an easy way to put a weight up front.  Has anyone from the group put a weight in the front of their 622/623 switcher, and if so what is the easiest/best way to do this?

                                        Thanks,

                                        Andy Parks

                                      • Thomas McLean

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 1, 2014
                                            Does it de-rail on both left-hand and right-hand turnouts?  If not, check the centering of the pickup roller assembly.  It can be as much as 2 degrees off center either way, and may be coming in contact with the center rail in a mis-aligned fashion.  This will cause a derailment.  If it de-rails on both left and right turnouts, check the spring between the top of the truck and the frame.  If it is missing, the truck will not pivot smoothly, and could cause derailment,  Good luck!
                                            Jim

                                            In a message dated 3/29/2014 11:36:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, m1raje@... writes:
                                            I've tried it on a number of different switches to make sure its not an issue with the one particular switch.
                                          • Geoff Geffken

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 1, 2014
                                                It only derails when making the left hand turn through the switch.  It seems to lift up at the black 'V' shaped area where the rails come together.  I will take your advice and check the skew of the rollers.  The wheel flanges are in good shape and the shoe doesn't seem to be the problem.  The spring is present on the front truck and is in good shape.

                                                Thanks,

                                                Andy
                                                On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 11:08 AM, "jimpaterno@..." <jimpaterno@...> wrote:

                                                Does it de-rail on both left-hand and right-hand turnouts?  If not, check the centering of the pickup roller assembly.  It can be as much as 2 degrees off center either way, and may be coming in contact with the center rail in a mis-aligned fashion.  This will cause a derailment.  If it de-rails on both left and right turnouts, check the spring between the top of the truck and the frame.  If it is missing, the truck will not pivot smoothly, and could cause derailment,  Good luck!
                                                Jim

                                                In a message dated 3/29/2014 11:36:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, m1raje@... writes:
                                                I've tried it on a number of different switches to make sure its not an issue with the one particular switch.

                                              • Chuck McConnell

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 1, 2014
                                                    Hi,
                                                    Are the 022 switches in question the postwar models or the newer 1990's ones?
                                                    Lionel had a problem with a slight hump in the area of the frog on some newer switches that would cause many engines to derail.
                                                    Rick

                                                  • Dave Short
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 2, 2014
                                                      I am sorry but i made a mistake when i joined your group as my interest is in real trains,not moodel  ones.I am sorry for  any incomvenius caused.

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 3, 2014
                                                          Dave - Stay with us a while longer. You may find you really like both real trains and toy trains. I'm Marketing Manager for American Train Excursions and an over-committed toy train collector and operator. Best regards, Frank Corley