Photos and a Video

  • Geoff Geffken
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 22, 2014
      Hi,
      Several weeks ago, I posted a couple of pictures of the 736 engine that I have.
      I've now added a few more general photos of my layout and a video.

      The video was fun to create but also frustrating.   The free software, was not really free,
      it had a quick trial that expired and then they wanted $79.99
      Tom Mclean also suggest Microsoft's Live Movie Maker, not quite as feature rich, but it did
      the job  (thanks very much for that).
      I spend a few hours from start to finish - just to get 3 minutes of video
      Went to post and it was very much over the size limit (shame on me for not checking first).

      Looking for alternatives, I realized YouTube would be it; so if you are interested, click on the link:
      http://youtu.be/Y-qCwP0D4iI
      Not going to win an oscar (hopefully not a razzie) and a bit out of focus at times, but you should get the sense
      of what is happening in 15x15 plus 8x3 for the helix.

      Geoff

    • Bruce Sherman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2014
        My first attempt at video editing consisted of two video decks, Apple //GS for additional video animation, a sound fader board to control different sound inputs.  Getting everything queued properly by yourself took several efforts.  Those were the days :)  Doing it all digitally now is faster and better.  But dealing with Hi def video made the process take about an hour to do 10 minutes of video, and that is just compressing video to make uploading happen a little quicker.

        You are just the cameraman.  Blame the director for not getting the actors in proper position :)

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2014
          Nice video Geoff....I especially liked the helix...I've never seen one in operation before (usually they are hidden in a tunnel or mountain) so it was great to see the bare bones.
          WIN

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2014
            That is one of the most interesting layout I have seen in a while, very professional quality. I like that you did not try to cram track into every available space which made for a nice track plan with some interesting alternate routes. The helix was fun. I take it you have it blocked so that the trains cannot ever tag each other. Nice job to be sure. When I built my layout, I researched every don't that was suggested as a not to do, and then I did them!  I crammed in track and accessories plus I have inaccessible parts of the layout etc. I just didn't care and I knew what I was in for!-TM
          • jerry_in_ct
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2014
              HI Geoff, If that is threaded rod in the framework of the helix it is one of the best uses for it I've seen in a long time! What a super cool idea with excellent execution! Would put a smile on anyone face! - Jerry_in_CT
            • Geoff Geffken
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 25, 2014
                Hi,

                Following up on the video posting; there were a some comments from Win and others on the double helix.
                Thanks for compliments and yes, the helix has blocking.
                I used 2 separate transformers - so I can regulate the speed but once set it takes quite a while for one train to sneak up on the other.
                My theme from their from the beginning / I wanted it to be visible.   This was not a coal mining operation from the 1940's but rather it was King Solomon's mine or maybe the Humphrey Bogart's Treasure of Sierra Madre.; think of Alan Quartermane's adventures or the ending of one of the Nicholas Cage National Treasure movies (those wild, out of control train rides.)

                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                I am curious if anyone else has had a recent problem with Yahoo.   I thought the group had gone silent - no more emails were showing up.
                However, noticed in the groups tab that there was still the normal volume.    Checked my emails and everything had gone into the spam folder.  Pushed all messages back to the inbox.  Hoping it was just me but if things go dark - check SPAM.

                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                For those that want the detail on what went behind building the helix read on; feel free to skip if it sounds boring.

                I built the double helix after seeing a Lionel video a number of years ago that had a 3 level double helix and wondered
                if I could do the same.   However, I can't leave well enough alone and said I can top that - not really having a clue on how.

                I bought some 18 inch  threaded rods, and stuck them on a sheet of plywood, and fixed cross pieces with hex nuts
                and ran the curved pieces around.
                Wow,  was that wobbly, sure to wreck some nice trains.
                Back to the drawing board.    Learning from my mistakes, the first thing I realized was base needed to be sturdy.
                So used 2 layers of 1 X 10 pine which was built into  34 in squares with the grain going in opposite directions on the two layes.
                The most critical part of the project is to lay the outer and inner circles in a perfect circle and to mark the points for drilling accurately.
                To do this I made a paper template (placed a ring of track and made two concentric circles.)
                I drilled holes for the rods and counter sunk a hole in the bottom so I could put hex nuts with lock washers.
                     Trust me, this wasn't going anywhere now (it was getting pretty heavy too)

                Here is the bill of materials:
                    900 hex bolts (give or take a few dozen)
                    32 3 ft long threaded rods (I cleaned out several Home Depots before my brother-in-law told me I could have gotten them on-line)
                    60 ft of oak 1/2" X 1/2 rods to act as cross pieces for the track to lay on
                    112 curved pieces of O gauge track - the 31" diameter works nicely.
                    8 straight pieces of O guage track to join the circles
                        I went to a number of Train Shows and bought good clean 2nd hand track - when I told vendors what I was doing
                            I got a very good prices - 25 to 50 cents a pieces - some were actually free!
                    120 small screws to fasten the track to the cross pieces
                    Band Aids (bit of a klutz and they are some wire shards from the rods and wooden splinters that seemed to bite me at times)
                    2 small transformers (a 40W Kline and a 60W Lionel - downhill uses less power)
                    18 gauge wire

                Tools
                    Surprisingly - not many:
                        Ruler, pencils, level
                        Electric Drill / ideal to actually have a drill press for the drilling out the cross pieces
                        Saw for cutting 1 x 12 and second fine tooth one for cross pieces
                        Solder gun / Solder/flux

                You should cut all the cross pieces first, 5 1/4 inches - its tedious - but think of it as an assembly line.

                After your base is set and you have 16 rods sticking up comes the fun part.   Endless twirling of hex nuts.
                One nut on outer rod, one nut on inner rod - slide the cross piece down the rods - the one nut on outer rod, one nut on inner rod.
                    7 more of these makes a circle.   Each piece is slightly higher than the previous one - you want a gentle incline.
                    Each circle rises 4 7/8.   Each track piece rises 39/64 in (a template helps a whole lot - you don't want to measure.)
                    6 more circles on the right side helix.   Repeat on the left side helix.    Thread the track - join the track pieces with the least
                        amount of gap possible - not just for connectivity but to get that perfect circle.
                    Test with a car that rolls very smoothly/easily - ideally it should roll from top to bottom without any additional pushes.
                    Now tightening all of these hex nuts.

                    Solder wires to track once per loop (or neat trick from Classic Trains - Ken Johnson - cut small tabs from tin can - solder that to wire
                        - it slides into the underside grove of track - much easier)

                    After joining the top and bottom with the straight track - I did find it necessary to create
                    block system so the trains can't in theory catch each other - probably should have 4 but 2 works nicely.

                What cars/locomotives to use?
                    I tried various locomotives but found any full size car or full size locomotive either derailed or caught on the rods.
                    The best was either using Lionel motorized units, like the Lionel US Army / Navy units;  KLine - mini's; or what I settled on was small Geeps (under 8 inches long) and short Hopper cars.    I weathered one engine and its hoppers.

                 I bought several sheets of Black 1/4 poster board and enlisted my wife in painting silver and gold veins.   We pasted jewels too.   And fixed them to the 3 sides of the helixes.    One train has coal loads / the other has silver and gold dug from the mines.   At the bottom I set up a 'mining' camp with a few miners and some Plasticville shanties that were also weathered.

                Probably took me 3 to 4 months of getting up early on Saturdays, but it was fun to do and is nice to show to visitors of our house.

                Geoff

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 25, 2014
                  Thanks for the description of the helix. Sounds like a good project for next winter and a different sort of small space layout.

                  Rick D