Lionel 8041 & 8141

  • Chuck McConnell
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20 2:10 PM
      I can't find information on the Lionel 8041.  I picked up a bunch of Engine shells and one was a 8041 because I needed one to replace a damaged shell.  I thought I read somewhere  that the 8141 engine will work in it. So I found all the parts for a 8141 except for the shell for a good price on ebay. So far I have not been able to get the hole on top to match match the engine exactly. Off by a sixteenth of inch. I don't know if I should play with it more or look for the correct parts. Also I noticed that some pictures of the 8041 with the wire from the engine to the tenders sound card and some had no wire. Were there two versions of the  8041 using two different motors?
      Any info would be appreciated.
    • Thomas McLean
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20 3:20 PM
        I looked at both engines. The boiler shells appear identical. Is it possible you do not have the correct motor? The screw on the top of the shell is in the same location on both shells.-TM

        Thomas M. McLean

        On Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:57 PM, Chuck McConnell <chuckmcconnell@...> wrote:

        I can't find information on the Lionel 8041.  I picked up a bunch of Engine shells and one was a 8041 because I needed one to replace a damaged shell.  I thought I read somewhere  that the 8141 engine will work in it. So I found all the parts for a 8141 except for the shell for a good price on ebay. So far I have not been able to get the hole on top to match match the engine exactly. Off by a sixteenth of inch. I don't know if I should play with it more or look for the correct parts. Also I noticed that some pictures of the 8041 with the wire from the engine to the tenders sound card and some had no wire. Were there two versions of the  8041 using two different motors?
        Any info would be appreciated.

      • Ken Allan
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20 3:55 PM
          Re: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] Lionel 8041 & 8141
          Two different engines.

          The 8040 is a diecast 2-4-2, with a smoke unit from 1970, usually found with a NPR tender.

          The 8141 is a plastic 2-4-2, with a smoke unit AND The Mighty Sound of Steam sound board in the tender.
          This is why you will see a tether wire with this engine.

          The 8141 was the first engine to feature the MSOS, and was sold with a Pennsy tender.

          Ken

          On 3/20/14 5:10 PM, "Chuck McConnell" <chuckmcconnell@...> wrote:

          I can't find information on the Lionel 8041.  I picked up a bunch of Engine shells and one was a 8041 because I needed one to replace a damaged shell.  I thought I read somewhere  that the 8141 engine will work in it. So I found all the parts for a 8141 except for the shell for a good price on ebay. So far I have not been able to get the hole on top to match match the engine exactly. Off by a sixteenth of inch. I don't know if I should play with it more or look for the correct parts. Also I noticed that some pictures of the 8041 with the wire from the engine to the tenders sound card and some had no wire. Were there two versions of the  8041 using two different motors?
          Any info would be appreciated.

        • rjdenes
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21 5:57 AM
            It was the "Mighty Sound of Steam", a white noise generator activated by contacts on the smoke unit and electrically transmitted to the electronic sound board in the tender.  MSOS is the "Mechanical Sound of Steam", a totally different concept where BB's roll around a drum in the tender which turns because it makes contact with the middle rail of the track.  So, the 8141 was the first engine to feature the "Mighty Sound of Steam."

            Concerning the difficulty in getting the shell to fit, the smoke unit assembly and front truck motor retainer must be loosely installed, and then the screw in the top of the cab, and the crosspiece with the "hole" cam rotate, and must be aligned before tightening all mounts.

            Jim
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21 11:01 AM

              Thanks I will try that
              Chuck

              Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

            • chuckmcconnell@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 21 5:16 PM

                I tried your suggestion and it worked. Thanks, I was doing the opposite. Also thanks for the information, I did not know that about this engine & tender.

                 I have one of those tenders with the BB's and I don't care for it as well. The wheel probably needs some work, because it does make the sound all the time. I haven't looked at yet but it appears the wheel does get good contact all the time to the middle rail.

                Chuck