072 switches

  • jkurac55
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24

      I set up a large floor layout for the holiday season using 072 curves and switches. The switches were manufactured in the 1990s and several need repair, primarily to the locking mechanism. I took one apart last night and discovered that the spring on the lock hinge would not stay in position. It also appears to be very flimsy compared to one in a properly operating switch motor. I have looked around the internet a bit and have only found one source. The photo is so poor I can't make any judgement on the quality of the spring. Short of cannibalizing other motors, any ideas where to get proper springs?

      Another question regards the points. Some of the switches I have seem to need a bit of filing for the points to fit the stock rail properly. Any others out there have tips for getting these switches running as reliably as the good old 022 switches? Thanks!

      Bob Lalich

    • bearstud49
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24
        All of the old 022 and 072 switch motors are the same and interchangable. I would look on Ebay for an old 022 switch that works or for just and 022 switch motor. Sometimes you can get an old O22 switch for$20 as opposed to an older 072 one.
        The old switch motors are sturdier and well-made in comparison to the MPC or post 1970 switches.
        Jeff Maltz
      • Bruce Sherman
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24
          Years ago from a local hobby store they sold a large bag of assorted springs.  Seemed like a good idea at the time, even though I never touched it.  I don’t know if they still stock it or not, but I bought it at Trainworld here in Brooklyn, NY.

          Bruce

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 24
            I have a bunch of 022 switches that I rarely use, and I agree that the motors seem sturdier even though the design didn't change. I'd rather not cannibalize them for a little spring. I think the MPC or LTI motors can be made to work reliably.

            Bob Lalich
          • jkurac55
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24
              That is a good idea. I will try some of our local Lionel authorized service centers for the springs.

              Bob Lalich
            • Michael Rinaldi
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 24
                Bob, I'm new to this hobby and learning fast but I recently went to a train show in my area and stopped by this booth

                GeorgeTebolt.com

                You will have to call or fax but this man has been in the business for 38 years and looked like he had every part ever made.
                Shoot him an email or fax
                Mike

                Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 25
                  Thanks Mike. I took another look last night and discovered that by slightly adjusting bends in the bracket and lock hinge, I was able to get the spring to stay in place and perform its intended job. Curiously, this particular switch motor had two springs on the lock hinge, one of which is now a spare.

                  I have also been shaping the points on a few 072 switches with some careful filing. For the price Lionel charged for these switches, these adjustments should not be necessary, but at the time, these switches were the only choice for large radius. They can be made to work as they should though.

                  Sorry for veering off post-war stuff a bit.

                  Bob Lalich