tmackinator video

  • kennybaughman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23

      Hello,I saw the recent video Tom put up on you tube of the Marx#333 and it's passenger cars.

      I have to say,that just may be the nicest Marx train ever produced.

      I do a little side work for a train seller based out of Georgia,and one of these was in one of the boxes of engines I was to inspect and make any needed repairs.

      I had never seen one before,and I was amazed at the quality,detail of the linkage,and die cast tender!

      I put a new pickup on the bottom of it,lubed it up,and that train had it own kind of magic!!!

      I wanted to keep it then,and after seeing Tom's video,I think I will begin to look for one,as that thing ran like a clock!!!!Thanks for the video Tom,great stuff as usual!!!

      Was that a pre-war or post war train?What year was it produced and do you know the numbers of the passenger cars??????Thanks,Kenny Baughman

    • tmackinator
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24
        The Marx 333 was the top line steamer for Marx. This is a post war unit. The Marx 333 was made from 1949-1954. There were two versions one without awnings over the windows and one with, the difference being that the model with the awnings was a smoking engine. The die cast tender was a nice piece also. There was a plastic boiler version of the engine, the 1829. There is some discussion of the 333 with a traction tire also. The engine itself although it is a cast piece is not as heavy as the comparable Lionel unit and as such suffers from traction issues when trying to pull a large consist. I have added traction tires to one of my units and it makes a world of difference. The 1829 I believe has traction tires. The NYC cars are lighted. The coach and vista dome are both numbered 234 and the observation car is a Meteor. The Marx pieces are 3/16 scale . If you have never investigated Marx trains it is well worth it. The motors run well and are basically bulletproof. The smoking steamers usually put out a ton of smoke rivaling some fan units. With Marx you usually got more than your moneys worth. Marx had an entire line of F type diesels ,NW type switchers, steam engines, and some great rolling stock some of which are quite nice and very collectable, realizing prices of collectable Lionel type pieces. Best of all in general it is less costly to collect. -TM
      • M & T SCHREDL
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24
          this might be veering off-topic, but was not the 333 mold used by k-line later to make a number of different steamers?

          mike g. s.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24

            Thomas M. McLean

             Indeed,  a lot of the Marx tooling was used to produce many items later on . The k line steamer is quite a nice engine BTW. -TM