Motor maintenance - brushes and commutators.

  • mlaughlinnyc
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22
      I'm looking at the commutator of a 152 locomotive, and it's black with some streaks of copper showing through.  What's the best cleaning technique for these.  Also should I do the same with the brushes ?  They look like cylindrical slugs of copper - from 1925 or earlier so probably not replaceable.  Would a fine sandpaper or file do the job ?

      Malcolm Laughlin.
    • Tom Thornton
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 22

        Never file

        Try a Cue tip first,  fine sandpaper  only if it doesn’t respond to cue tip

        After you clean use wooden tooth[ick to pick out between the copper

        Just a good brushing on the brushes, if you remove them que tip in brush holder

        and around  holder…( be sure and replace so the worn curve fits the armature

        no liquids  no abrasives

        Even if a grove is worn or out of round, the copper  is thin

        And if you penetrate it the motors finished

      • Robert Stockton

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26
              Pure copper is a very bad idea. Pure carbon is not a good idea either as
              it wears out quickly. The correct brushes have copper mixed with carbon.
              Carbon provides some lubricatiing properties and copper increases
              current capacity.

              Pete

              > Hi All, I have seen those copper brushes before and assumed that they
              > were harmful and somebody just used what they had at hand. Some looked
              > like someone just cut off a piece of heavy copper wire. Are they
              > really correct for the time? Thanks. Lon Walker

            • Thomas McLean