Cleaning tubular track

  • jkurac55
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21
      Curious to know what you guys use to clean your tubular track. I'm getting ready to dismantle my seasonal layout. I usually use a generic track cleaning fluid and an old t-shirt to get any grime off the tops of the rails before storing the track. Wondering if there is a better way.

      Bob Lalich
    • Bruce Sherman
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21
        WD 40 sprayed on a rag.

        Bruce

        Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 11:08 PM
        Subject: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] Cleaning tubular track

        Curious to know what you guys use to clean your tubular track. I'm getting ready to dismantle my seasonal layout. I usually use a generic track cleaning fluid and an old t-shirt to get any grime off the tops of the rails before storing the track. Wondering if there is a better way.

        Bob Lalich

      • kennybaughman
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22

          Hello Bob,

          I just wipe mine down with 50%alcohol put on with a paper towel, and then wipe it off with a dry paper towel.

          I cleanup a lot of old trains,and this has worked great for me.

          I have heard that it can remove the tinplate coating on the track,but I haven't had any problems with it so far.

          Just be sure your transformer is off,and never use an old t-shirt with the alcohol.I used the alcohol one time with a t-shirt and the power was on and poooofff!!!,the t-shirt went up in flames!!!LOL!!!

          I can clean it with the power on with a paper towel,and nothing happens,but with a rag or t-shirt it goes up in flames!!!But I recommend turning the power off,just to be safe.

          I think all track cleaner is somehow petroleum based,and lighter fluid works good also!!

          Just unplug your transformer,and be SURE to use PAPER TOWELS only if you try this alcohol trick.I have not noticed any loss of the tinplate,as I check it quite often with a magne-traction engine,because I have heard that alcohol will remove somekind of protective coating.

          Has anyone else heard of alcohol taking the tinplate off your track???

          Also,you can just run a scotch-brite over the tops of the rails,and this does not require the use of any flammable chemicals.

          Just what I do.No need to buy expensive track cleaner.-Kenny Baughman

        • Roger Schillig

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22

              Hello Roger,I have had an oval of fastrack for 3 years now,and the alcohol has not discolored the track,it only has wiped away some of the paint on the ties,making them look pretty cool !!!

              I have heard stories like yours,and was waiting to see if anyone on here had problems with alcohol.

              I just use this oval for test running trains after I buy/repair/resell.

               I admit,I do abuse it,as I do all kinda offbeat tricks to save time/money/energy.

              Maybe I will buy some good ol'track cleaner to use on my layout,as I have had my layout track around a year now,it is used K-line O 72 and regular 31"O.I have been using alcohol on that too,and have had no problems.

              May I ask you what you think this Lionel "Goo"is made of/based off,as I found most commercial track cleaning fliud is petroleum based,or smells kinda like the  old "Ronson"lighter fluid for cigarette lighters.I would like to find out what is in it,if they list it on the bottle.

               I just can't understand why your fastrack rusted because of cleaning with Alcohol,and mine did not.

              It is as clean as the day I bought it,besides the paint on the ties is worn from using alcohol.

              But I apply it fast and furious at times,because I use this track to clean wheels and I have really abused it.That is why the alcohol wore the paint off the ties.

              Thanks for your post.Please reply if you can find out what that "GOO" is made from,or what it smells like.-Kenny

            • jkurac55
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 23

                I decided to simply wipe the track with a rag. It picked up most of the dirt and grease on the rails. I think leaving a bit on the rails isn't a bad thing as a protective coating.

                Bob Lalich

              • Rob Miller