Just some musings re the different marques...

  • drumwoulf
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2014
      A difficult decision perhaps, but I’m gonna give up on prewar Lionel and stick with Marx, AF-O, Hafner, Ives, etc.
      The Lionel has been giving me more problems than the other prewar; it’s heavier, noisier, more unpredictable AFAs operating goes, and then they have those *%$*%&  miserable box and latch couplers too? Some may like these but they sure as heck ain’t fun for me!  IMO the tab/slot couplers of the other brands are much better even if they are non-“automatic”!  And I do know there are also some older Lionel trains with tab/slot couplers too, but these seem to be very few and far between on train sale lists?

      Anyway, so now the only Lionel I’m gonna stick with is my well liked red 1950’s  #520 boxcab as I can use it to haul my other brands of tin rolling stock on my club’s modern O gauge layout. (As I can also use the smaller geared AF-O and Marx DR engines...)
      And actually it’s really not that much of a difficult decision for me, as there’s just so much great stuff I have yet to explore with Marx and American Flyer O gauge? There’s seems to be an endless variety of well preserved, well operating, prewar trains available in those two marques alone...! {–And one can’t do it all, right? ;>})

      Anyway I’ll soon be posting my Lionel prewar (some postwar too) for sale on ebay and on the prewarOgauge yahoo list. Stuff won’t be too expensive either as I’m not looking to make any profit; -iffen I can break about even I’ll be satisfied as I did have the Lionel to learn about and play with for a little while... ;>})

      -Great hobby this, right? –An endless fascination with beautiful old time toys that still operate!
      Enjoy,
      Skip  ;>})
    • drumwoulf
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2014
        Okay, I have decided no more box or latch couplers! But I'll still stay a bit with Lionel postwar, using my neat little Lionel 550 boxcab and also I just picked up a cool looking (somewhat decrepit) K-Line NYC MP15 switcher. Not only can I use these two engines with Lionel knuckler cars, they're also small and neat enough to haul around my AF and Marx 3/16" O gauge tinplate over my 027 layout.
        (Not that anybody cares, right ;>}) LOL...
        Skip