072

  • winzipped100
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20
      Hi.  as a child I had several 072 guage Lionel trains which (much to my dismay now) I wrecked.   (Another reason why kids shouldn't be allowed to play with trains...lol.)  While this is a postwar train group, Can anyone tell me when Lionel stopped making 072 and a little history about them?  My uncle and aunt bought the 072 Olympian set the day Pearl Harbor was bombed.
      You can reply directly to me if the moderator doesn't feel the information is valuable to the whole group.
      Thanks
    • Bruce Sherman
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20
        I think a train set that was produced before the war, but sold on the day war broke out is ok to discuss here :)  It’s a gray area as it was purchased during the war :)

        Bruce

        Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:40 PM
        Subject: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] 072

        Hi.  as a child I had several 072 guage Lionel trains which (much to my dismay now) I wrecked.   (Another reason why kids shouldn't be allowed to play with trains...lol.)  While this is a postwar train group, Can anyone tell me when Lionel stopped making 072 and a little history about them?  My uncle and aunt bought the 072 Olympian set the day Pearl Harbor was bombed.

        You can reply directly to me if the moderator doesn't feel the information is valuable to the whole group.
        Thanks
      • kennybaughman
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22

          Hello,I am not familiar with the Olympian Set.

          What Number is on the Engine and what are the numbers of the cars that were in it?

          Was it a passenger or freight train?

          I am not sure if Lionel stopped making regular O72" track,but it comes up on ebay all the time for sale.

          There are also several other companies that produce O72" track.

          I know Atlas makes it,and I'm pretty sure Gargraves does as well.

          I also am certain that Lionel produces O72"radius in their new Fastrack,which just snaps together,and has a built in roadbed.

          Could this train possibly be an O27 train?

          Like I said,I have studied a lot about lionel, and I would love to hear what kind of train the Olympian set was.They produced so many different trains,and continue to do so,if you live twice you will never know about all of them!!

          I look forward to hearing about the contents of the set.

          Thanks for your post.-Kenny Baughman

        • win zip
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22
            Well first of all let me apologize for the name of the train. It wasn't the Olympian, it was the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha...and was engine, tender and three passenger cars--all articulated-- and made out of what seemed like cast iron (of course it wasn't, but the cars were very heavy and after toppling off the table onto the floor several times broke into chunks. It went to the scrap yard (read garbage can) in the mid-50's so I don't have any details on car/engine numbers etc.  Taking your advice I checked on line and there are several up for bid. http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1024376
             It is listed as 0 gauge but I distinctly remember it on 072...because it took an 8x8 foot table to make a single loop. The Olympian was a companion train in real life which is probably why I was confused. Interestingly it was the first Lionel train to introduce a realistic whistle  and was produced between 1935 and 1942 and sold for $32.50.
            Thanks for your information Kenny..this is a great group.
            WIN

            To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22

              Hello Win! Wow,did you have a nice set there!!

              And for sure,O72 track was needed.

              This is because of the length of the passenger cars,they would have binded up and not been able to be ran on Lionel's 31" curve radius,which is what the majority of their trains ran on.

              I recently acquired an old "Flying Yankee"set,and this is when I had to go out and buy some O72" radius myself,because I could only run the power unit on the O31" track that I had.

              My O72" track is made by K-Line,which was a division of Lionel I believe,intended to sell their cheaper outfits.K-line is out of business,I believe this happened within the last 10 years.

              I got the track from ebay,for $38.00+$12 Shipping.

              I can never go back to regular 31"radius again,because now I can run all of the bigger stuff,and for my regular O gauge,I can really crank up the voltage,because the trains derail less,because of the curves are not as sharp as they are on the 31" track,and I really like to run'em!!!

              I have a video on you tube of the Flying Yankee,with the O72" track,it was one of the first ones I posted.Look for "Flying Yankee before Restoration by Streetrain77,that is my you tube ID.All I had to do was oil it up,give it a shot of contact cleaner on the e-unit,and she ran as smooth as she did 70 years ago.Check it out if you have time.

              I'm on a break from work,I will send you more info on the Hiawatha if you would like,and be able to give you a good idea of how much to pay for one if you're thinking about getting one again.And let me tell you,it's gonna be a lot more than that $32.50,you originally paid!!!That was one fine trainset you had there,and it is a highly sought after by most collectors.But you would be surprised,if you look around,on the right day,at the right time,it could be yours again.-Kenny Baughman