diesel horn

  • chooglin40
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2014
      HEllo, newbie here. Recently retired  and attending train shows more often. Bought beautiful a b a Baltimore and ohio diesels (I think from 84). But no horn. What is best way to have a horn?  I have 027 but these mite be 0....I am not real. Knowledgable .
    • kennybaughman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2014
        Hello,your diesels should run on your O27 layout,even if they are O gauge.The only difference is the height of the track,and the radius of the curves.O gauge is higher than O27.O gauge is 31 degree radius turns and O27 is 27 degree radius turns.One way to get a horn going is to look for a Horn and a Horn relay on ebay,buy them and wire it in the Power unit.Wiring diagrams can be found in Greenbergs Operating and Repair book.You may have to drill a couple of holes in the frame to mount both the horn and horn relay,it depends if your units were set up originally to have a horn.You can also check your local hobby shop to see if they might have a horn and horn relay,or buy them from Olsen's Toy Train Parts.I also hear good things about Traintender.com,as far as getting the parts needed to put a horn in your diesels.I would think you should be able to acquire the parts needed to do this for under $50.The guys on this group are a fine bunch,and I'm sure they will help you further if you run into any problems installing it.-Kenny Baughman
      • Bruce Sherman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2014
          Easiest way is a dedicated box car with a diesel horn.  They also sell small buildings that has a horn built in.

          Bruce

          Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:02 AM
          Subject: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] diesel horn

          HEllo, newbie here. Recently retired  and attending train shows more often. Bought beautiful a b a Baltimore and ohio diesels (I think from 84). But no horn. What is best way to have a horn?  I have 027 but these mite be 0....I am not real. Knowledgable .

        • rjdenes
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20, 2014
            However, the diesel frames for the earlier diesels will rub against O-27 switch housings.