F3 power truck cleaning

  • jerry_in_ct
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 16, 2014
      Hi guys,
      So I have this Santa Fe F3 with a pretty decent shell that someone has spent some time rewiring, but the power truck was so super gunked up that it wouldn't even turn. I pulled the nylon bushing/central gear assembly out and cleaned out almost a thimble full of caked up grease out of the truck. I can now get the wheels to turn but not really freely. What is my best course of action for cleaning/lubing the power truck for best operation without pulling the wheels? The parts and gears are all in excellent shape.
      Thanks!
      Jerry in CT
    • trainlarry
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014
        Get some naptha from your local hardware store and soak the truck, gears and bearings in it. It will remove all old grease and dirt. Reassemble and relube the gears with white grease. You can use the naptha for all your cleaning of track, motors, e-units, accessories, etc. It is an excellent solvent that leaves no residue, does not attack paint, and is safe on all plastics. Be careful around decals though, as any solvent will loosen them.

        Larry
      • kennybaughman
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014
          Hello,I have had excellent results by spraying the trucks down with a can of brake cleaner.Make sure to use it in a well ventilated area,and it will take ALL of that old crap out of there!!Also,do not do this unless the truck is removed from the frame,because it will damage paint.It will not however damage anything on the truck.Remove the brass looking top,and spray away,holding over a slop sink or out doors.You will be amazed at how good of a job it does.Ater that lube it back up with some fresh grease,and oil the wheels,as there will be absolutely no lubrication left.This is just the best,fastest way I found of doing a thourgh job on this.You will also be amazed at how much better and faster that F3 will run!!-Kenny Baughman
        • Luther Stanton
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014

            I cleaned up the power truck in a similar gunned up state from a 2337 yesterday.  I always use mineral spirits for cleaning - all trucks (loco and rolling stock) and steam engine motors.  I always "dry" everything with a good dose of compressed air and finish up with some WD-40 to keep everything in good shape.

            - Luther

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014
              Plain old rubbing alcohol will dissolved this grease, and evaporates quickly when you  are done cleaning.
              Non-toxic and no residue.

              I'd stay away from brake fluid, naphtha, etc - not necessary.

              I use white lithium grease, and found that synthetic "Liquid Bearings" is the best oil - you can find it on EBAY or Amazon
              John ('Ski) Warren

[...]

            • Tom Thornton
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014

                Lads,

                Some of the cleaning suggestions are scary

                I  believe naphtha is very  flammable

                Brake fluid fumes  are just plain toxic

                Mineral spirits coated rags also  burn well,  without a match

                Radio Shack sells a excellent contact cleaner that is neither toxic nor flammable

                FWIW

              • Toni & Brian
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014

                  Brake fluid?  It is a great paint remover if you spill it.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014
                      Tom - I have had success with WD40. I saturate the mechanism and let it sit overnight and it seems to dissolve the hardened grease. You may have to apply some more after the first application to remove all the residue.
                      Good luck,

                      David Argent

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 17, 2014
                          It also attracts dust.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 22, 2014
                            I've just started to overhaul a 2333 F-3 pair, and the embedded gunk is quite a problem.  I've seen several possible answers in this conversation, but puzzled as to which to try.

                            I'm working on the dummy unit first to get used tothe truck assembly before doing the motor unit.  I see that the axles are embedded in the frame casting and only 1/4 inch of the axle is visible.  They have some reddish gunk which seems to have been sitting there for 50 years. (These are recently liberated from long term attic storage)..  I can get to that, but I suppose there must be more gunk around the axles where they go through the casting and I can't get to them.  Should I just fill up he trough in the truck with solvent, or dip the whole truck in a solvent bath, or what else ?  What will best flush the gunk out of the parts mof the axle that can't be reached ?

                            I've seen suggestions for using Naptha, alcohol or mineral spirits.  I have all three, and I can deal with the hazards so please no more warnings.  But will anyone say that one is better than the others to get at those concealed axles, or are they all about the same ?

                            Malcolm Laughlin
                          • kennybaughman
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 22, 2014

                              Malcolm,I am the guy who uses Brake CLEANER in an aerosol can,not brake fluid like I believe some people misunderstood what I said I use on these.They misunderstood it as brake fluid.
                              I take it out to the garage,hold it over a slop sink or trash can.I usually use the slop sink.

                              With  the red plastic extension that is on the side of the can,you can really get into those areas,and you will not believe all the gunk that will get flushed out by the pressure from the can!!!

                              Some old authorized lionel train repairman showed me this,it is fast and there will be absolutely nothing left inside of that truck anyplace.

                              Once you do this and relube everything and get it running,you will not believe how incredibly faster the train will run

                              I'm a madman,who uses several oddball techniques picked up over the years.There is no right or wrong way,just find something that works for you.

                              Just don't use it in the house,it smells toxic(because it is)and the wife will NOT be happy.I did this once in my basement and will never make that mistake again!!!

                              Also,Make sure the truck is away from the shell or any other plastic parts or painted surfaces,because it will eat them alive!!! Take it completely off the frame.

                              Just what I do.-Kenny Baughman

                            • strodude

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 22, 2014
                                  Hi Darrin,I always took off the top "brass or copper colored top,and the sideframes,and the brake cleaner seemed to do no damage to the truck whatsoever.
                                • Thomas McLean
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 23, 2014
                                    Out of the three solvents you listed, Naptha is the best degreaser. This is the one I use. It will not attack most pained surfaces (be sure first however). It is commonly used to clean old furniture finishes.  I clean armatures in it all the time. I have never seen it attack plastics and it dries relatively quickly. Lacquer thinner is a better degreaser but is not plastics safe and will attack any non metal materials and is a greater health risk. -TM
                                    Thomas M. McLean

                                    On Sunday, February 23, 2014 1:13 AM, "kennybaughman@..." <kennybaughman@...> wrote:

                                    Hi Darrin,I always took off the top "brass or copper colored top,and the sideframes,and the brake cleaner seemed to do no damage to the truck whatsoever.

                                  • Phil Vollelunga
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 24, 2014
                                      Great tip😄

                                      Phil Vollelunga

                                      Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                    • Jack Schrader

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 25, 2014

                                          Good Day Everyone,

                                          I ONLY use brake cleaner to clean that grime out of the trucks!!!!

                                          Everything else, like e-units,motors,and commutators I use CRC QD Electronic Cleaner on.

                                          Usually a couple of shots on a non-working or quirky e-unit drum will get the e-unit going good again.However,there are times when further work is needed.(it will not fix a broken drum or worn out finger contacts!)

                                          But this is a good product to use,the CRC.It is plastics safe,and has never done any damage to any surface I have used it on,and never will.

                                          I have found it to be a great alternetive to the Contact cleaner I used to buy at Radio Shack.

                                          At $4.50 a can at Wal-Mart,it is much more economical than the $10.99 the Radio Shack Cleaner costs.

                                          If you do use the CRC,wait a few minutes before applying track power,as it is quick drying,but flammable also.

                                          It's main intended purpose is to clean the electrical plugs on today's automobiles,but I highly recommend it as a safe,all around cleaner for any electrical contacts(whistle relays,horns,commutators,transformer contacts)  or components on electric trains.-Happy Railroading ALL!!!-Kenny Baughman

                                          ---In Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com, <schrader@...> wrote:

[...]

                                        • Jerry King
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 3, 2014
                                            Wow…what a great bunch of responses. I don’t remember if I started the thread but I wanted to let everyone know the info was greatly appreciated. Sometimes questions are asked, answers are given and then not acknowledged. I didn’t want to be guilty of that.

                                            Seems to boil down to whatever works best for you & with what method you are most comfortable - or summed up in the phrase “there’s more than one way to skin a…”

                                            Thks,

                                            Jerry in CT

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 4, 2014

                                              I should have said what Jerry said a few weeks ago.  TYhis group is a great resource.

                                              I'm going to try yhe Naptha first.  The reason I'm not going to start with the brake cleaner is the weather.  If we  have  an ove 40 sunny day, I'll try it.

                                              Iv'e got both NYC and SF sets in the same stage of gummed up mechanism.  I'mm thinking of trying those two methods on the two sets of F-3's and see if one does a noticeably better job than the other.  Will report findings if I do tht.

                                              Malcolm Laughlin,

                                            • jerry_in_ct
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 20, 2014
                                                OK sorry to bring up another message on an OLD topic but I had to provide some feedback. I tried all the methods everyone described. I found that rubbing alcohol worked best for me. At least in this case. It's cheap, you can get it just about anywhere, it's relatively non-toxic, won't eat through your skin or irrevocably ruin your wife's good rags, and it has plenty of uses outside of cleaning old train parts. No complaints about "what is that smell?" either. - Thanks for everyone who weighed in! - Jerry_in_CT (sunny CT FINALLY)