Lionel 1110

  • Chuck McConnell
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14
      I have bought several old engines at shows that needed repair because I enjoy working on them to bring them back to life. I bought a Lionel 1110 Scout that the engine was missing the two drums, brushes, drum contacts and drum plate that were missing on the side. I bought all the parts in that the parts schematic shows. I powered it up and it just hums. My question is what turns the drums? They have gear like teeth on the drum, what rotates them?
    • tmackinator
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14
        The scout engines are the low end of the line. How they work is there is a moveable part of the field laminations that is spring loaded. When you apply power to the motor, the magnetic force draws the movable part of the field laminations down. this caused the pawl attached to the laminations to cycle the cogged wheels of the reverser. when power is removed, the field laminations return to the up position and the cycle repeats every time the power is applied. Please note there is a specific position and  orientation of the cogged drums.The brass contact of one drum must face a blank space in the other drum. The pawl acts on the drum with the more pronounced teeth which goes on the right side when facing the motor. The scouts are totally troublesome and it is just luck if one works correctly. The best way to repair a scout engine is to replace it with the motor from a 2034 engine which is basically a drop in.-TM
      • apaton7@netzero.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15
          Hello, I share your interest and enjoyment repairing old Lionel trains.
          The Scout 1110 and other engines use the dual cog system described perfectly by the previous posting.  The important part is that these two cogs can only go in one way.  If you have the diagram in the repair manual, look carefully at the drawing and you will see the cogs are actually different.  The diagram shows a specific placement of the cogs that must be exact, or the engine will not work.

          It is also difficult to hold the cogs in place while reassembling the motor.  One tip is to hold the engine above the cogs and brushes so they do not fall out or off.

          If you do not have access to a repair manual, let us know.  A picture can be posted to show positioning of the two cogs.

          Good luck.
          Art

          Best Dividend Stocks 2014
          Six solid dividend stocks to give your portfolio an income boost.
          WealthyRetirement.com
        • Chuck McConnell