Painting red/green bulbs for Lionel 022C controllers (432R/G)

  • first43113
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14

      Greetings group-

      I've been pretty disappointed lately regarding the quality of the paint on 022C controller bulbs I've been receiving from various Lionel parts vendors.  Most seem to be a lack of paint coats sufficient enough to cover the bulb evenly and eliminate the "spottiness" and "lightness" when illuminated.  In most cases, they look ok when they are not illuminated but look terrible during night operations.  I'm thinking all the vendors are stocking from the same source in China since the same issues are present in the bulbs I get from different vendors.

      I'm beginning to think that the only way I will be satisfied is to just paint them myself.  I am somewhat of a stickler for trying to be as close to the original finish as possible so fingernail polish and magic markers are out.  What I'm looking for is a flat paint (probably enamel so it has some durability to heat and scratching) that will coat the bulb evenly and give an even color glow at night.  I imagine the same paint and process can be applied to other bulbs, e.g. those in the 148 Dwarf and 153 Block signals.

      I found a message (#11396) from Don Johnson in the archives and was wondering if anyone here has tried his technique and could report here on the results, or has come up with something else that works well.

      Again, I'm looking for a result that resembles closely the finish on the original Lionel bulbs as issued in the postwar years.

      Many thanks in advance for your comments!

      Darrin Strosnider

    • Roger Stoel
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14
        Hi
        Read the letter on page 10 of Classic Toy Train, dated May 2013.
        The red paint used was Tamiya Number X27.  The green paint Number is X25.The letter is asking about the paint used in one of  past issues. In the February2013   of Classic Train magazine there was a article  "tune up and improve post war switches".
        I have not found the Tamiya paints ay my local train store.

        Roger Stoel

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14

            Several years ago I bought a bunch of green and red bulbs for the 022-C1 switch controllers because they are STAINED red and green. I too was disappointed in the painted bulbs. They are very uniform in color. And they match the bulbs that came with a brand-new pair of Lionel 022 switches (straight from the factory) in about 1953. I have more than I need. If you are interested in buying some, please send me a message.

            Bob Spivock

            TCA 87-26186