Mixing track sizes?

  • drumwoulf
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13, 2014
      I know how to mix 027 with Gargaves track, but has anyone here mixed 027 with Fastrack?  For instance would a standard cork roadbed raise 027 track up high enough to mate with the Fastrack w/o problems?
      Reason I ask is I'm currently running my tinplate on 027 tubular but in the planning of an expansion of my layout I saw some Fastrack straights on sale, and I'm wondering If I could use some of it on my straight runs? (I wouldn't want the Fastrack 036 curved pieces tho, as my new layout will still be rather small so I need the smaller 027 curves space....)
      Thanks,
      Skip
    • Norman Weiler
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2014

        Hi Skip,

        I'm not an operator, but I have heard Lionel FasTrack in action. It was on a temporary Holiday layout around the Christmas tree ...and even though the FasTrack was on a carpet, the noise was enough to drown out the RailSounds on the Lionel loco. You could only hear the sounds when the unit was stopped at idle. Granted, he could have bumped up the volume of the RailSounds, but then it could have been annoying to guests trying to carry on a conversation (...non-train enthusiast guests anyway).

        Cork is a great insulator, so if you do find the appropriate height cork for the O-27, you'll really hear a difference when your train hits the FasTrack sections.

        Best regards,
        Norm Weiler
        Branchville, NJ

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13, 2014
          Hello Lionel Caretakers:
           This response to noisy track is from me ... one who is annoyed by just about everything in todays world... So, track is track and noise is noise.
           I've used every type of track that exists and even some I made myself, and never once in all my years did I say... "no", can't use that track cause it make to much noise!
           So, thanks Guys, since this batch of posts started, I stoped and listened to some of the noises made on different track. I can now report that I am properly annoyed by it all.
           I guess next will come talk of the smells and scents emitted... man I used to love the smells.... what's next???
           George... annoyed as all get out, and now I got to sound proof everything...  I wounder if Fabreez will work on the smells?... maybe ear plugs....

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 14, 2014
            Skip,

            I run 95% PW but my layout is 100% FastTrack.  I have two small straights of traditional O tubular for the 3356 corral and 497 coal loader.

            As you may have seen, there is a "O" transition piece - the height of the top of the rail on Fastrack is the same as O tubular.

            You could easily check your cork roadbed - does it raise the height of the top of the rail of the 0-27 pieces to that of O?

            - Luther

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2014
              Thanks guys for all for your suggestions and opinions re various types of  trackage...
               -Since I want to use 027 curves to better utilize the smaller layout space I have, and since my smaller tinplate locos handle the 027 curves very well, I've decided to not bother with FasTrack at all but will go with my 027 tubular and some Gargaves bendable.
              As some of you may or may not know, Lionel 027 tubular  and Gargaves are exactly the same height and all that's required to join them are inexpensive conversion track pins that are thicker on one end and thinner on the other.

              This way I can also add cork roadbed under both types of track for quieter running w/o having to worry about varied height adjustments.

              Tinplate trains sound fantastic to me when running, but let's face it, the combination of having sometimes buzzy older open frame motors with also not having much plastic in their car bodies means they can get pretty noisy at times! Train sounds? -With prewar tinplate you don't need any prerecorded digital sounds, you'll get all the natural running sounds you could ask for and more!! LOL!
              Enjoy,
              Skip  ;>})
            • Tom
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 18, 2014
                Lol! Funny post, George. Noise, smells, appearances are part of the railroad modeling world. To each his own. Annoyance comes only from not sticking with what you like. Do what makes you happy. It's all about having FUN!

                Tom - Myrtle Beach
                "Unless God is my engineer, my trains go nowhere"

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 18, 2014
                  It ain't track noise, it's train music!
                  John ('Ski) Warren