Ot: dealing with manufacturers

  • Bruce Sherman
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7
      Unless you can build a time machine and go back in time to have your 2037 smoke element fixed under factory warranty, this is off topic for this group, but I am sure someone can give me their experiences.

      A couple of weeks ago, I emailed to Atlas a request for some replacement parts. I supplied the model, part numbers, and even a photo of the area where the part was missing.  I found the email address under their support on their website.

      So far I heard nothing.  Has anyone ever dealt with Atlas before and what was their experience??

      Bruce
    • win zip
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7
        I have had very good experiences with Atlas. When they moved their operation to Mexico the quality of products went down. (and as a result they later moved back to the US).
         I had purchased a dozen switches and they fell apart in my hands.  It was no big deal to put them together again, but I wrote Atlas suggesting that they check quality control.  About a week later I got an e-mail offering to replace the switches.
         I told them no, I had fixed them--but they wouldn't take no for an answer and a couple of weeks later, a dozen unrequested replacement switches arrived in the mail!
        That's what I call customer service.  Incidently the replacements worked just fine right out of the box--however, much to the dismay of my family, I had to put them to good use, so there went the spare bedroom.
        Jack

        To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7
          Jack, thanks for the response.  I was hoping the no answer meant they would send me the parts gratis.  Only talking about a couple of small pieces of plastic.  Don’t get me wrong, I would gladly pay, but no answer doesn’t make me feel good.  I will try and contact them again.  Thanks again.

          Bruce

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8

            Bruce, I have had very good dealings with Atlas, involving my turntable.

            You might give them a phone call. It might be easier & quicker to find out what is happening.

            Norm Schreck

          • Bruce Sherman
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8
              Thanks.  I just figured there can go less wrong when they have a written part number as opposed to being told that over the phone.  They may not understand my Brooklyn accent ;)

              Bruce

              Sent: Saturday, February 8, 2014 9:20 AM
              Subject: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] RE: Ot: dealing with manufacturers