Horizontlal Pullmore Bearings

  • William Manley
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6
      I decided to replace the bearings in a last ditch effort to revive my F3's motor. The bearings came today but I am puzzled about a ball bearing that came with them. The original rear bearing did not have a counterbored section. I could not find a new bearing that matched the old one. This new counterbored bearing has with a very small ball bearing about 1/16". That came with it. I'm not sure where it goes or if it's needed.

      Is the bearing needed?
      Does it go in the counterbored part of the bearing ?
      What is its function?
      Will the motor run fine without it?
      If it goes in the bored end how does one get it in? It's so small I think it will just fall out.

      Any advice would be appreciated.

      Bill Manley

      p.s. I had trouble trying to post this as a new topic. I hope this email gets posted.
    • BYRON ALLEN
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7
        Hi Bill,  I have a 2333 F3AA that I have restored.  I don't recall any ball bearing in the motor shaft bearings.  If you go to: http://http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/searchcd2a.htm you will find pictures of the Lionel F-3  locos.  The diagrams for the 2333, 2343, 2353 twin motor locomotives show that the motor shaft uses circular bronze bearings (2020M-17 & 671M-20 or 28) is stabilized fore & aft by a thrust bearing (671M-19). http://http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/cd/locos/f3-5.pdf
        The Power Truck uses 2 rectangular box bearings (2333-65) on the worm shaft & has a ball bearing (2333-54) that stabilizes the worm shaft for & aft. http://http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/cd/locos/loc2333e.pdf.
        Are you replacing the motor bearings or the power truck bearings?  I haven't kept up with this discussion, but it seems to me that you are working on the power truck.
        The answer to your question is that the ball bearing is needed to keep the worm shaft from moving forward or back under load.  It should be placed in the box bearing that supports the end of the shaft opposite the drive gear end.

        Byron