Multi-level plans

  • Thomas Kincheloe
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2014
      I'm really giving this new layout some serious thoughts. I have an empty room that is 12'x8' and am looking at putting together either a 10'x4' or 12'x6' layout (with access wells) but also seriously thinking of a 2 or 3-level plan so that I can run as many as 4 or 5 trains at the same time by overlapping several levels to save space. I already have a pretty good idea of what I would like to build based on many track layouts I've eyed on-line and elsewhere. I haven't discounted starting off smaller, maybe with an 8'x4' with two levels. I've seen many layouts with multilevel tracks.

      Where can I find sample plans for layout support bases and instructions for building multi-level supports for 0-g?

      Thanks.
      Tom

    • Bruce Sherman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2014
        When I built my HO layout I measured my room and then I took two feet away from all sides and that is how I determined the train table size.

        Most people freelance their layouts because not everyone is into the same thing to do.  Some people just like to watch the trains go round and round.  I like to stop the train and have the trains interact with accessories.

        Just some advice.  When you operate a train on a new layout with accessories, you never know if the train my bump into a accessory on a curve.  Never make it permanent till you operate a train without problems.

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
          Thanks for the advice, Bruce. I may be getting more adventurous than I should so pulling the ropes back a wee bit. Need to do a lot of reading, discussions and self-study before I go out and start throwing money around.

          I, too, am more interested in interactive vs just watching. Sometimes I think the scenery and accessories draw me more than the trains do. The availability of miniature working and fixed accessories today compared to 30 years ago just blows me away. The internet just brings it all together at the fingertips.

          Tom

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
            Accessories like milk or cattle cars require straightaways for their trackside accessories.  Do you already own the accessories or plan to buy them?

            The reason Joshua Cowen went with a 3 rail track was so they create reverse loops.  Maybe with that much room, you may want to forgo a rectangle and make a point to point layout?

            You need to make a list of priorities of what you want your layout to do.  I did more design on my HO then O gauge layout, so I will use that as a example.  I wanted a roundhouse with a turntable, Train maintenance building.  Some parking siding and industrial siding.  And of course two ovals, a outer and a inner.  Now remember, I built my HO without DCC in mind, so I needed to have DC only.  I wanted to create a connecting track between ovals so the train would travel clockwise on the other loop, but when going to the inner loop, it would be going counter clockwise.  I use software and it took me about a month to create my perfect layout.

            The software I used was a free download from Atlas.  Some people use graph paper.  Some scale paper pieces.

            your first suggestion would be what radii to make your curves?  The numbers go from 027 to 054 (maybe there is larger?  072?)  Wider radii means more tracks it takes to complete a circle.  Larger locomotives require wider curves.

            Bruce

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 18, 2014
              Bruce - I'm getting my Post War layout ready for the transition from storage to operational, and have decided a roundhouse is necessary.  I've found two different Kits on line, Atlas and Walthers, one about 190 and the other in the 300 range...is it worth doing a kit?  Is the a source of dimensional data that I could reduce to 1:48 or 1:50 and do myself?  Three to 5 stalls That will hold my 682 and my 736.  Ideas from anybody who's thought about this are most welcome!
              Dick Lawrence
            • Bruce Sherman
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 18, 2014
                Are you going to use a turntable??  My only concern would be a turntable that could hold my largest locomotive I would place on the turntable.

                As far as scratch building a roundhouse, I have no experience scratch building items.  I am sure there are instructions somewhere online.  Just don’t know where to look.

                Bruce

                Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 10:35 AM
                Subject: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] Re: Multi-level plans

                Bruce - I'm getting my Post War layout ready for the transition from storage to operational, and have decided a roundhouse is necessary.  I've found two different Kits on line, Atlas and Walthers, one about 190 and the other in the 300 range...is it worth doing a kit?  Is the a source of dimensional data that I could reduce to 1:48 or 1:50 and do myself?  Three to 5 stalls That will hold my 682 and my 736.  Ideas from anybody who's thought about this are most welcome!
                Dick Lawrence

              • win zip
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 18, 2014
                  Dick: I've done both the scratchbuilt and kit model of roundhouses and frankly the kit model just looks sooooooo much better than my efforts.  I found the Walthers to be the best and (in ho at least) it is expandable with additional stalls at a later date.  The only problem I had was I bought the Walthers turntable along with it and it's not very good.  Plastic gear wheels get chewed up pretty quickly.  If I were to do it again I'd go with a more expensive model with indexing because trying to line up the rails perfectly by eye is too time consuming and prone to error.
                  WIN

                  To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                  From: rrlawren@...
                  Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 07:35:47 -0700

                  Bruce - I'm getting my Post War layout ready for the transition from storage to operational, and have decided a roundhouse is necessary.  I've found two different Kits on line, Atlas and Walthers, one about 190 and the other in the 300 range...is it worth doing a kit?  Is the a source of dimensional data that I could reduce to 1:48 or 1:50 and do myself?  Three to 5 stalls That will hold my 682 and my 736.  Ideas from anybody who's thought about this are most welcome!
                  Dick Lawrence
                • toytrains2
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 18, 2014
                    Yes Bruce , but I think I will not try to do a turntable myself.  I may have to leave retirement for another job to afford one of the better ones, but I don't think I can produce a reliable one in my own .  My challenge will be the roundhouse.

                    Dick Lawrence
                  • Bruce Sherman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 18, 2014
                      If you want a Engine Storage building, but don’t want a turntable, how about a non round house storage facility??  It would just be a building with tracks going inside.  Be easier to build and don’t have to worry about aligning the tracks correctly.

                      Bruce

                      Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:08 PM
                      Subject: Re: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] Re: Multi-level plans