No. 145 gateman sticks

  • jkurac55
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2013
      I'm setting up a temporary layout for Christmas and pulled out the old 145 gateman. He gets stuck in the out position about half the time. I haven't opened it up to look for trouble yet. I'm wondering first of all about bending the tabs. It would appear that it would only take a few bends to break them off. Any suggestions on opening the base and what to look for once I do?
    • Thomas McLean
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 2013
        Bend the tabs the minimum amount to access the internals, then when reassembling them, twist them slightly as opposed to bending them over, This works well on all tab construction.-TM
        Thomas M. McLean

        On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:01 PM, "jkurac55@..." <jkurac55@...> wrote:

        I'm setting up a temporary layout for Christmas and pulled out the old 145 gateman. He gets stuck in the out position about half the time. I haven't opened it up to look for trouble yet. I'm wondering first of all about bending the tabs. It would appear that it would only take a few bends to break them off. Any suggestions on opening the base and what to look for once I do?

      • lionel4bob
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 25, 2013
          I had the same problem. I found that the return spring was too weak. I cut off a few turns of the spring and reinstalled it. Viola! It now works perfectly.

          Bob Spivock
          TCA 87-26186
        • Robert Bunge

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2014
              I finally got around to opening up the base of my gateman to determine the cause of the sticking. The spring is fine and there is no excess friction or mechanical binding. I was surprised to discover that the solenoid plunger is slightly magnetized and sticks to the lever that moves the gateman. I am hoping that degaussing will correct the problem.

              Bob Lalich
            • kennybaughman
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2014

                Hello,I've found that sometimes you can just give the gateman figure himself a twist or loosen him a little by hand,and I have fixed more than one with that simple adjustment.-Ken Baughman