Re: [Linux_Egypt] Modem on linux

  • Weiky
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002

      Date: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 09:37:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [Linux_Egypt] Modem on linux

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2002
        On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:52:56 +0200

        cheers,
        Alaa
      • Linux Info
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2002
          Dear All members

          Now we have both services:
          (1) Forum (Montada)  http://www.m0h.net/users/linux-egypt/
          (2) Another forum in   http://www.zagazigOnline.com

          As a matter of organizing our mail, news, questions, contributions, and in order to reduce mail flow.  In order to categorize our efforts, and contributions and replies.
          You are cordially invited to use the forum (either or)  to submit your articles, and technical discussions.

          I appreciate your understanding, and cooperation
          Thank you very much

          Hesham Bahram

          so motoral driver will not work
          beacuse it work only from kernel 2.4.0 -> 2.4.5

          btw i write it agian in Bold

          Motorola driver( internal sm56 PCI  ) only work from

          kernal 2.4.0 -> 2.4.5

          so who want to upgrade take care :)

          S a 6 r y <Sa6ry@...> wrote:

          > what is the kernal of madrake 8.1 ??
          mandrake 8.1 has a 2.4.8 kernel

          cheers,
          Ala

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          572abe.jpg
          572cbc.jpg

          Regret any inconvinience
        • Alaa The Great
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2002
            Hi all,

            ever wanted to download a huge number of files that have enumerated filnames like foo1.pgn foo2.png foo3.png etc.
            well most download managers come with a some feature to generate a list like this right.

            last week I needed to download a very big number of files (in the order of 8000) but I needed a more complex series
            for the filnames, since it would have taken me forever to do this manualy I sat down and made a couple of tiny programs
            to solve this problem.

            series and nseries are coded in c++ (using awk would was the correct choice but I'm crap at awk and I needed this quickly)
            you can compile them by typing
            g++ -o series series.cc
            g++ -o nseries nseries.cc
            to excute the files you type ./series or ./nseries (or put them in your /usr/bin if you think they're that useful ;-)

            now I'll show you how it works
            series simply takes some string like foo then genereates a list like
            foo01
            foo02
            foo03
            foo13
            then adds a string to each item in the list like .png so the end product would be
            foo01.png
            foo02.png
            foo03.png
            foo13.png

            to get this you run
            ../series 1 13 2 '.png' 'foo'
            1 is the begining of the list, 13 is its end, 2 is the minimum number of digits to be used
            so if the value to be added uses less digits leading zeros will be padded otherwise it would have
            looked like this
            foo1.png
            foo2.png
            foo3.png
            foo13.png
            notice they how foo12.png is a longer filename than foo3.png which usualy confuses sorting

            no we will call foo the prefix, .png the postfix 1 the start value 13 the end value and 2 the pad value
            thus the syntax for series is
            ../series start end pad postfix prefix
            you can have blank prefix or postfix by putting '' in there place

            no ./series can generate one list for many prefixes in one command the suntax would become
            ../series start end pad postfix prefix1 prefix2 prefix3 etc
            so for instanmce if I want to generate a list like that foo009 ... foo099 and another list fubar009 ... fubar099
            I would type this at my console
            ../series 9 99 3 '' 'foo' 'fubar'
            the foo list would be generated first then the fubar one.
            easy eh?

            if you don't type in a prefix at all like this
            ../series 9 99 3 ''
            it will ask wait for you to inoput a prefix, then it'll generate a list for this prefix and ask wait for another one
            until you press Ctrl-D (end of file)

            this might not seem important, but no this is the most powerful thing about series you can fully utilise redirection
            and piping with it, for instance if you want a list of all 3 digit octal numbers then you'd type
            ../series 0 7 1 '' '' | ./series 0 7 1 '' | ./series 0 7 1 ''
            notice how the two last commands have no prefix (only one blank string while the first one has two)
            what happened here is that
            ../series 0 7 1 '' '' tells series to generate the list 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
            the first pipe sends this output as input to ./series 0 7 1 '' which then takes every item in the input and
            generate a list for it so we get 00..07 10..17 20..27 .... 70..77
            next we take all this output and pipe it through to the last command whihc generrates
            000..007...010..017...770..777
            and voila you got all three digit octal numbers and in correct order too.

            nseries is similar to using series with no prefix argument but it instead adds an incrementing number to its input
            so for instance if I want the list alaa1.au mena2.au dalia3.au manal4.au foo5.au etc I'd type
            ../nseries 1 1 '.au'
            and then enter input of alaa mena dalia manal foo Ctrl-D

            the syntax here is a bit different, since there is no need for end and nseries has to take input from stdin it look like this
            ../nseries start pad postfix
            and it simply terminates when it reads Ctrl-D (eof).

            it is useless this way, its real purpose is to be used with pipes and redirections

            so lets say I want to to generat all three digit octal numbers and their decimal equivalent I'd type
            ../series 0 7 1 '' '' | ./series 0 7 1 '' | ./series 0 7 1 '=' | ./nseries 0 1 ''
            cool eh

            this is a quick hack for one purpose so it still has many serious flaws,
            the worst is when series and nseries work in input mode (no prefix given) they will always generate an extra list
            for a blank prefix, this could be a big problem when using pipes or redirection (for instance the final output for the last
            example will not be 777=511 as it should be but there will be lots of rubish)
            this rubish gets bigger every time you pipe the output.
            I get around this by redirecting output to a file and manualy removing rubish from the file then redirecting corrected file
            as input of next command
            so the last example would be
            ../series 0 7 1 '' '' | ./series 0 7 1 '' > octtemp
            first command does not produce rubsih.
            now I would edit octtemp and remove last 8 lines then type
            ../series 0 7 1 '' <octtemp
            remove last seven lines, etc.
            its a nasty bug I know please help me to fix it.
            other problems are when the input has spaces series and nseries would consider it several inputs not one
            for instance if I pipe the output of this
            ../series 13 55 2 '/' '~/fu bar'
            to ./nseries 13 2 '.mpg'
            instead of generating
            ~/fu bar13/13.mpg
            ~/fu bar14/14.mpg
            ~/fu bar15/15.mpg
            etc.
            it will produce
            ~/fu13.mpg
            bar13/14.mpg
            ~/fu15.mpg
            bar14/16.mpg
            ~/fu17.mpg
            bar15/18.mpg
            etc.

            solving this should be easy, I just didn't get to do it, if someone fixes it please send me the fix.

            it wouls be nice also if it had support for steps (going 2 4 6 7 or 3 6 9 12 instead of 1 2 3 4)
            and alphabetical sequences a b c d instead of 1 2 3 4, or even alphanumerical sequences like hex numbers.

            I used series and nseries to generate a download list for all Garfield comics from Ucomics, as every Garfield
            fan would know, the first one was on 19th of june 1978 and there is one published every day till today
            so this meant a download list of more than 8000 files in just a couple of minute (the time it took me to
            write the code and use it).

            hope you'll find it useful
            cheers,
            Alaa