Software Freedom Day... Aug 28... do join

  • Frederick Noronha
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2004
      SoftwareFreedomDay.org

      August 28, 2004

      Dear Sir or Madam,

      I am writing to ask you to join us in celebrating Software Freedom
      Day in 2004 and beyond.

      In an effort to step up the marketing effort for Free and Open Source
      Software (FOSS), a small group of volunteers [1] have formed
      softwarefreedomday.org with the aim of organizing a global
      celebration of FOSS on August 28th this year [2]. We hope to involve
      a large number of teams, comprised of LUG members and other
      enthusiasts, all around the world. Our role will be to help
      coordinate the event and provide the required infrastructure,
      including a web portal, posters and fliers, and most importantly,
      high quality (pressed) CDs with FOSS that the teams can give out to
      the general public on Software Freedom Day.

      Before we launch this concept to the community at large, we would
      like to reach out to a few key groups and individuals in the FOSS
      world, like yourself, to ask you to join us in this endevour. Though
      we do hope to form a working relationship with you over time, for now
      we can simply recognize our mutual goals. Thus we respectfully ask
      for your endorsement of our effort; this project will enjoy even
      greater success if the FOSS community unites around it.

      For further information and to observe our project's progress, please
      visit our newly assembled web portal, which will serve as the hub for
      our collaboration in the months to come. We hope that creative souls
      around the world will find varied and interesting ways of celebrating
      FOSS, and that ultimately the public will join us in that celebration
      too.

      Sincerely yours,

      Henrik Omma and Matt Oquist