New to Linux

  • Hayman E. El-Alayly
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2001
      Good morning Everybody,
      The whole of my life I used to use Microsoft Operating Systems...and when I read about how great is Linux, I decided to try and get sure myself...I bought all what i need and read a lot about linux
      But unfortunatelly what I read, didn't help me at least to be able to install the Linux Red Hat operating systems..so can anybody give me a hand

      I have the Red Hat 6 CD
      and the configuration for my computer is as follow:
      Pentium II 500
      128 MB RAM (Can be increased if needed)
      Is it possible to keep the Microsoft operating system and use the dual boot with Linux ???? I'm using 2 operating systems 98 & 2000 pro.

      I'd appreciate your help so much

      Hayman
    • Khaled Moustafa Ahmed Awad
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2001
        On Monday 24 September 2001 07:37, you wrote:
        > Good morning Everybody,
        > The whole of my life I used to use Microsoft Operating Systems...and
        > when I read about how great is Linux, I decided to try and get sure
        > myself...I bought all what i need and read a lot about linux
        > But unfortunatelly what I read, didn't help me at least to be able to
        > install the Linux Red Hat operating systems..so can anybody give me a
        > hand
        >
        > I have the Red Hat 6 CD
        > and the configuration for my computer is as follow:
        > Pentium II 500
        > 128 MB RAM (Can be increased if needed)
        > Is it possible to keep the Microsoft operating system and use the dual
        > boot with Linux ???? I'm using 2 operating systems 98 & 2000 pro.
        >
        > I'd appreciate your help so much
        >
        > Hayman

        Ok,

        Of course you can install linux on your pentium II PC, and I will guid you
        to do this...
        But first of all you have to tell me
        about your VGA card , about your CD ROM, the Size of your hard drive ,
        The information which I need about your VGA is written on the chip on
        your card so you have to unplug your card from the PC and take a look
        on the board, you will find a large black chip and there is some information
        written on it......write it and send it to me... and also whether it is PCI
        or AGP and the ammount of video RAM .
        your CD Rom brand and model ( Creative works well with linux)
        your Sound card ( Creative works also well with linux)
        Your monitor ..what kind of monitor you use....did you have the manual for
        the monitor ?
        remember linux is not a toy...it is very very powerful OS...and you can use
        it to implement nerly every thing ...from running simple application..to Web
        server...mail server and DNS....

        about your last question whether you can dual boot your pc with windows
        or linux..
        the answer is absolutely yes, you can do that...
        but first you have to repartition your hard drive and leave some space for
        linux...
        khaled
      • Moataz-Bellah Rashad
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2004
          Dear all
          i'm new to Linux
          actually i don't know from where to start...which distribution should i start with, and what are the difference between them !!!

          plz guide me guys

          Thanks in advance

          Best Regards;
          Moataz-Bellah Rashad