Re: [Linux_Egypt] boot problem

  • Ahmed Farghal
    Message 1 of 20 , May 9, 2003
      hello ,
      thanx really for the professional advice ,
      i did exactly as u said ,

      i mounted the /dev/hda6 to /mnt/my_root
      and when i did "chroot /mnt/my_root"
      i got an error :

        chroot : cannot execute /bin/sh : No such File of Directory

      so i checked the /bin/ folder
      and i found the sh is there !! and i executed it and i got the sh shell !!

      so what's the problem WA MENKOM NASTAFEED :)

      Message 2 of 20 , May 10, 2003
        On 19:33 09 May 2003, Ahmed Farghal <linuxawy@...> wrote:
        | thanx really for the professional advice ,
        | i did exactly as u said ,
        |
        | i mounted the /dev/hda6 to /mnt/my_root
        | and when i did "chroot /mnt/my_root"
        | i got an error :
        |
        | chroot : cannot execute /bin/sh : No such File of Directory
        |
        | so i checked the /bin/ folder
        | and i found the sh is there !! and i executed it and i got the sh shell !!

        But after a chroot /bin/sh is really /mnt/my_root/bin/sh.
        So that's where you have to look. Basicly, you need enough
        of the system inside /mnt/my_root to do what you want because
        none of the main system is available any more.

        Cheers,
        --
        Cameron Simpson, DoD#743 cs@... http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

        Q: What's the difference between a psychotic and a neurotic?
        A: A psychotic doesn't believe that 2 + 2 = 4. A neurotic knows it's true,
        but it bothers him.
      • Ahmed Farghal
        Message 3 of 20 , May 13, 2003
          hi all ,

          the /mnt/my_root/bin/sh is already exists and no problem there , so what should i do ?
          or u don't have a solutions for me ? :(
          i really neeeeeed my files there , and if i installed linux again i'll lose everything ...
          solve it for me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

          thanks
          Ahmed farghal
        • Sherif Abdelgawad
          Message 4 of 20 , May 13, 2003
            Hi Ahmed,
                  Sorry for the delay to answer, was busy. I am not sure if you
            still did not figure it out or not.

            > i mounted the /dev/hda6 to /mnt/my_root
            > and when i did "chroot /mnt/my_root"
            > i got an error :
            >
            > chroot : cannot execute /bin/sh : No such File of Directory

            Chroot will need a full structure filesystem to change your root to.
            Make sure you mount all the file systems correctly:

            As I remmber you had the following setup

            /boot ----> /dev/hda5
            /     ----> /dev/hda6
            /usr  ----> /dev/hda7

            So make sure to mount first /dev/hda6
            to /mnt/my_root as you already did.
            Then mount /dev/hda5  to /mnt/my_root/boot
            Then mount /dev/hda7  to /mnt/my_root/usr

            Did you get the idea yet ? The point is
            to construct the complete system and your
            root will be /mnt/my_root .. then do a chroot
            to that new root.

            Regards,

            Sherif R. Abdelgawad               Phone: +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
            Red Hat Certified Engineer        Cell:     +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
            Sr. Consulting Engineer             Global Professional Service
            Red Hat, Inc.                            http://www.redhat.com
            Imagination is more important than knowledge.  Knowledge
            is limited.  Imagination encircles the world.
            "Albert Einstein"

            Message 5 of 20 , May 13, 2003
              thanx alot , but i really got upset , i'm doing everything just right but nothing changed

              look
              there is something strange i noticed
              i'll list for you the partitions contents cuz i felt that there is something strange
              /dev/hda5 (boot) => it has the boot ....
              /dev/hda6 =>
                      bin
                      doc
                      etc
                      games
                      dict
                      include
                      kerberos
                      lib
                      libexec
                      local
                      lost+found
                      man
                      sbin
                      share
                      src
                      tmp

              /dev/hda7 =>
                      bin
                      boot
                      dev
                      gf
                      home
                      initrd
                      lib
                      lost+found
                      misc
                      mnt
                      opt
                      proc
                      root
                      sbin
                      tmp
                      usr
                      var

              NOTE : there are some simillar folders between both !! how can this happen and i discoverd the the files in one are not the same in the other ,

              should i lose hope and just lose my files ?? :((
              or there is a hope ??

              thanx

              Message 6 of 20 , May 14, 2003
                Once upon a time Ahmed Farghal wrote @ Tue, 13 May 2003 11:59:25 +0300

                > hi all ,
                >
                > the /mnt/my_root/bin/sh is already exists and no problem there , so what should i do ?
                > or u don't have a solutions for me ? :(
                > i really neeeeeed my files there , and if i installed linux again i'll lose everything ...
                > solve it for me plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

                check that you have:

                /mnt/my_root//lib/libncurses.so.5
                /mnt/my_root//lib/libdl.so.2
                /mnt/my_root//lib/libc.so.6
                /mnt/my_root//lib/ld-linux.so.2

                --
                ----------------
                -- Katoob Main Developer
                Message 7 of 20 , May 14, 2003
                  Once upon a time Ahmed Farghal wrote @ Wed, 14 May 2003 02:03:07 +0300

                  > thanx alot , but i really got upset , i'm doing everything just right but nothing changed
                  >
                  > look
                  > there is something strange i noticed
                  > i'll list for you the partitions contents cuz i felt that there is something strange
                  > /dev/hda5 (boot) => it has the boot ....
                  > /dev/hda6 =>
                  > bin
                  > doc
                  > etc
                  > games
                  > dict
                  > include
                  > kerberos
                  > lib
                  > libexec
                  > local
                  > lost+found
                  > man
                  > sbin
                  > share
                  > src
                  > tmp
                  >
                  > /dev/hda7 =>
                  > bin
                  > boot
                  > dev
                  > gf
                  > home
                  > initrd
                  > lib
                  > lost+found
                  > misc
                  > mnt
                  > opt
                  > proc
                  > root
                  > sbin
                  > tmp
                  > usr
                  > var
                  >
                  > NOTE : there are some simillar folders between both !! how can this happen and i discoverd the the files in one are not the same in the other ,
                  >
                  > should i lose hope and just lose my files ?? :((
                  > or there is a hope ??
                  >
                  > thanx

                  I didn't follow the thread from the beginning

                  I don't know what did you do to your system, But i'm afraid that it might be a problem with the partition table!
                  you can use ext2explore (name ?) and copy your files from windowz.

                  --
                  ----------------
                  -- Katoob Main Developer
                  Linux registered user # 224950
                  ICQ # 58475622
                  FIRST make it run, THEN make it run fast "Brian Kernighan".
                • Sherif R. Abdelgawad
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 14, 2003
                    > > /dev/hda5 (boot) => it has the boot ....

                    This is good !

                    > > /dev/hda6 => bin, doc, etc, games, dict, include, kerberos, lib, libexec,
                    local,man, sbin. share, src, tmp

                    This sounds like /usr

                    > > /dev/hda7 => bin, boot, dev, gf, home, initrd, lib, misc, mnt, opt, proc,
                    root, sbin, tmp, usr, var

                    This is your root filesystem ---> /

                    You will need to mount /dev/hda7 first to whatever "/mnt/your_root".. then mount
                    /dev/hda5 to "/mnt/your_root/boot" , then mount /dev/hda6 to your
                    "/mnt/your_boot/usr".

                    This should get your full file systems in right place. do a chroot then
                    to /mnt/your_root/, and follow previous instruction.

                    Cheers

                    Sherif
                  • Ahmed Farghal
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 15, 2003
                      hi
                      ok , now the chroot works fine ,
                      so i tried to do the "grub-install /dev/hda"
                      but i got an error (like i alwayes have :(( )
                      the error was "Could not find device for /boot : Not found or not a block device"

                      i don't know what does this means , but i checked some things and i discovered that the folder /proc and /opt are empty !!! , i tried to do the fdisk -l again but i got an error telling me that /proc/partitions is not there ! ,

                      so what's the solution ?
                      and very thanks really
                      > > /dev/hda5 (boot) => it has the boot ....

                      This is good !

                      > > /dev/hda6 => bin, doc, etc, games, dict, include, kerberos, lib, libexec,
                      local,man, sbin. share, src, tmp

                      This sounds like /usr

                      > > /dev/hda7 => bin, boot, dev, gf, home, initrd, lib, misc, mnt, opt, proc,
                      root, sbin, tmp, usr, var

                      This is your root filesystem --->  /

                      You will need to mount /dev/hda7 first to whatever "/mnt/your_root".. then mount
                      /dev/hda5 to "/mnt/your_root/boot" , then mount /dev/hda6 to your
                      "/mnt/your_boot/usr".

                      This should get your full file systems in right place. do a chroot then
                      to /mnt/your_root/, and follow previous instruction.

                      Cheers

                      Sherif

                      Regret any inconvinience
                    • Ahmed Farghal

                        > > /dev/hda5 (boot) => it has the boot ....

                        This is good !

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 15, 2003
                          Dear Ahmed,
                          I am happy that things are working fine with you now :)

                          > i'll report here what i did exactly :
                          > first i mounted /dev/hda7 to the /mnt/my_root directory
                          > then /dev/hda5 /my_root/boot/
                          > /dev/hda6 /my_root/usr/

                          You have to have all the pieces in place before you chroot ;)

                          > so i mounted the proc file system using
                          > mount -t proc proc /proc/

                          I missed this .. though you should not need anyway.

                          > i thought then in lilo , i opened /etc/lilo.conf.anaconda and renamed it
                          > to lilo.conf and editied it to fit my needs , then i got to /bin
                          > and wrote
                          > lilo
                          > then rebooted the there my lilo was working :-)))

                          Was going to be my last thing to say if everything failed :)

                          > i booted my linux and i tried to run the grub-install but i found an
                          > error telling me that error in reading /boot/stage1 !!!

                          You need to run "grub" first and define where is the stage1, and 2.
                          stage1, and stage2 are in /boot/grub/ and not /boot

                          > thank you all , specially eng./sherief...

                          You are welcome .. enjoy , and do not break it again ;)

                          Cheers

                          -Sherif
                        • Ahmed Farghal
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 17, 2003
                            ok ,
                            that's wonderfull , but i can't still install grub
                            1- i tried to do the /grub-install but the error i reported about error reading stage1 , so i tried to run the grub and enter the install command in the shell (the command u told me b4) but i got an error (can't mount selected partition) !! , the parition was (hd0,4) ...
                            so what's the sol ?