Re: [Linux_Egypt] Digest Number 532

  • amr rabee
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 6:09 AM
      Dear Brothers,
                          lets discuss the two problemd we have.
      1- the telnet problem
              A- you need to telnet to remote server first.
              B- create a file called ".rhosts" it will be hidden file
              C- write the IP address of your local machine and the login name
                   you use to authenticate yourself.
              D- and change the permission for this file to 600 here are the example

      [local    ]# telnet <RemoteHost>
      login:user1
      password:***********
      [remote]# vi .rhosts
      local          user1
      [remote]# chmod 600 .rhosts

      when you login for the next time it will autenticate you automaticlly without asking you fo the password.

      if you want to run some command every time you login to the system you may can write the script in your intialization file in your home directory (it depends on your shell if you use bash it will be [.bash_profile], if it is ksh it will be [.ksh], if it is csh it will be [.csh] )
      or you may write your script and add its entry to the initialization file
      OR you may use rsh or ssh for your execution and i recomend ssh which it has very good security issue in remote execution and remote connection useing its DSA encryption.

      2- The boot loader problem (grub)
            A- boot your system useing the rescue mode
            B-  cahange the root path by executing the following command.

      chroot /mnt/sysimage (which is where you have installed your system)

      and then execute the grub command to access the grub shell

      # grub
      grub>root (hd*,*)                " * "is the location of your disk on the IDE
                                                    it spose to be "0"
      grub>install (hd0,0)
      and enshaa allah everything will be ok for everybody
      thanks alot for wasting your time.
      Linux_Egypt@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      I have to thank you for the professional reply :) However, let me ask
      another (unrelated) question. Does anyone here have any idea about writing
      a script to automate telneting to a server (and entering password) and
      controlling what happens after I login (sending some commands to the
      server). Can I write one script to do all that?? I can't imagine how to
      control the server from a local script!!

      Thnx

      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:13:19 +0300
      From: "Ahmed Farghal"
      Subject: boot problem

      hi all ,
      i've a strange boot error happened to me ,
      i have redhat 8 installed and was working perfect ,and windows XP ,
      my windows XP crashed ,so i formated the partition C and reinstalled the windows XP
      then when after installing the windows , the GRUB Disappeared , i know why that happened , cuz the windows wrote a different MBR on the SECTOR 1 , so now i want to enter my redhat box , what should i do ,
      NOTE : i don't have a boot disk and i have important files on the redhat system
      Another NOTE: i tried to enter the rescue mode in the cd of installation but it told me that i don't have any linux partitions !! although when i entered the rescue i mounted the hda6 and i found some of the linux files !!

      so tell me plzzzzzzz how to fix it ?
      ASAP plzzz
      salam

      Ahmed Farghal
      Software Developer
      Mansoura University

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 02:13:11 +0300
      From: Mohammed Sameer
      Subject: Re: boot problem

      Once upon a time Ahmed Farghal wrote @ Wed, 7 May 2003 23:13:19 +0300

      > hi all ,
      > i've a strange boot error happened to me ,
      > i have redhat 8 installed and was working perfect ,and windows XP ,
      > my windows XP crashed ,so i formated the partition C and reinstalled the windows XP
      > then when after installing the windows , the GRUB Disappeared , i know why that happened , cuz the windows wrote a different MBR on the SECTOR 1 , so now i want to enter my redhat box , what should i do ,
      > NOTE : i don't have a boot disk and i have important files on the redhat system
      > Another NOTE: i tried to enter the rescue mode in the cd of installation but it told me that i don't have any linux partitions !! although when i entered the rescue i mounted the hda6 and i found some of the linux files !!
      >
      > so tell me plzzzzzzz how to fix it ?
      > ASAP plzzz
      > salam
      >
      > Ahmed Farghal
      > Software Developer
      > Mansoura University

      Donno about redhat !
      the idea is to boot in the rescue mode, If your partitions are not automatically mounted you should mount them
      use chroot
      reinstall grub "donno how is this done"

      --
      -- Katoob Main Developer