Re: [Linux_Egypt] Helppppppp

  • Alaa The Great
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2003
      On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:35:23 -0700 (PDT)
      Zebaq <key_tool@...> wrote:

      > Hello
      > I'm really in a big trouble.. I don't know much about linux . Now I'm
      > asked to install and configure 2 Linux redhat8 servers to work as
      > Apache and ftp servers .. I have only 2 day left to read, search, and
      > work on this to have my graduate degree

      why would we help you to fake your way out of an exam?? the way I
      see it we help people not just out of generosity but because we try to
      build a community where we all could rely on each other and where we
      all have something to offer each other, if your attitude is to leave
      it till the last moment then quickly learn enough to pass the exam then
      I doubt you'll ever have anything to offer me.
      all I can see is I'll be helping someone compete with me in the market
      place without being really qualified and without offering anything back
      to the community.

      but I'll try to be nice and give you a couple of advices.
      search in google
      read the redhat manuals
      go to the apache website and read their documentation
      change your career

      cheers,
      Alaa
      --
      "Why, of course, the people don't want war, voice or no voice, the
      people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders . . .

      -Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg war-crimes tribunal.
    • Sherif R. Abdelgawad
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 30, 2003
        I am kinda with Alaa's comment, though I would offer more
        details just for the benfite of the others.

        A full simple direct customization manual from Red Hat
        can be accessed at:

        http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/

        You will find detailed and simple instructions on how to configure
        and setup/customization any thing comes with RHL 8.0

        For Apache Check Chapter 18. "Apache HTTP Server Configuration" at
        this link below:

        http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/ch-httpdconfig.html

        If you are interested in Apache security you may go more and check chapter 19.

        For FTP server .. There are two pkgs comes with Red Hat which provide
        the FTP service:

        1- wu-ftpd: An FTP daemon provided by Washington University.
        2- vsftpd: vsftpd - Very Secure Ftp Daemon

        Red Hat is phasing out wu-ftp and all new releases default to vsftp
        for clear reason I guess!

        vsftpd pkgs is aviable for 7.3, 8.0 and 9.0 versions.

        I would recommend to use vsftpd rather wu-ftpd.

        xinetd controls most of the internet services including ftp. (I doubt
        you care for your exam though ;P to know details, but just for the
        others).

        You may start at this link for configuring the service (you gonna have to
        learn to read):
        http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-services-tcp-wrappers.html

        that link will tell you how chkconfig and service configurations work. Find out
        how to enable ftpd and run it :)

        Once you have FTP running .. it is just running .. unless you need access
        control and other limitation you should have FTP service running by now anyway.

        I guess this would be enough .. I do not want to be tough on you
        but your way of asking the question got you on the fire.

        A comment for Alaa ... Good ppl will always be good in the market
        regardless of helping unqulified person to compete in the market.
        Sometimes also you do not need anything back by helping, it does
        not have to be always I will help you in this and I am waitting
        for something back. I started by saying I am with your comments
        but not all of it ;)

        Regards,

        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Sherif R. Abdelgawad Phone: +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
        Red Hat Certified Engineer Cell: +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
        Sr. Consulting Engineer Global Professional Service
        Red Hat, Inc. http://www.redhat.com/services
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge
        is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
        "Albert Einstein"

        On Monday 28 April 2003 21:35, Zebaq wrote:
        > Hello
        > I'm really in a big trouble.. I don't know much about linux . Now
        > I'm
        > asked to install and configure 2 Linux redhat8 servers to work as
        > Apache
        > and ftp servers .. I have only 2 day left to read, search, and work on
        > this
        > to have my graduate degree
        >
        > Anyone could help as soon as you can pls.. to understand how to
        > configure
        > apache and ftp
        >
        > Thanx
      • Sherif R. Abdelgawad
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 30, 2003
          How about downloading the ISOs and burn them ? Would that
          be better than getting someone to burn it for you and you
          pick it up ?

          try Red Hat FTP site or one of the mirror sites. Check

          http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html

          Regards,

          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

          Quoting Akram Shalaby <akramsh@...>:

          > Dear All,
          > Well, this is way out of the subject, but it is "asking for HELP"too.
          > I need to get the RH8 CDs because I do NOT have them.
          > I am very new to the UNIX world, but it seems it works better with
          > Oracle, so I thought I should give it a shot.
          >
          > Anyone can help by copying the CDs for me. I would be more than happy,
          > and will collect them from anywhere he says (within Cairo)
          >
          > Thank you ALL in advance.
          >
          > ====
          > Akram Shalaby.
          > Network Engineer.
          > Mist-Net System Team Member.
          > akramsh@...
          > =======================
        • Zebaq
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30, 2003
            Thank you my brother:
            i don't want to work with you in linux feild ... i spent 10 months working and studying to have MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer) to be network administrator for windows  and guess what.. i have to work with linux now in 10 days to configure a network ..
            thanx again for your replay and for anyone gave me resource it's very helpfull to me .. and inshaa Allah i'll ask you if i wanted something else

            Zebaq wrote:

            > Hello
            > I'm really in a big trouble.. I don't know much about linux . Now I'm
            > asked to install and configure 2 Linux redhat8 servers to work as
            > Apache and ftp servers .. I have only 2 day left to read, search, and
            > work on this to have my graduate degree

            why would we help you to fake your way out of an exam?? the way I
            see it we help people not just out of generosity but because we try to
            build a community where we all could rely on each other and where we
            all have something to offer each other, if your attitude is to leave
            it till the last moment then quickly learn enough to pass the exam then
            I doubt you'll ever have anything to offer me.
            all I can see is I'll be helping someone compete with me in the market
            place without being really qualified and without offering anything back
            to the community.

            but I'll try to be nice and give you a couple of advices.
            search in google
            read the redhat manuals
            go to the apache website and read their documentation
            change your career

            cheers,
            Alaa
            --
            "Why, of course, the people don't want war, voice or no voice, the
            people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders . . .
            All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce
            the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
            danger. It works the same in any country."

            -Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg war-crimes tribunal.

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Akram Shalaby
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2003
              Surely I will try, but I do NOT have a CD writer, so I will have to take the
              HD to someone to burn it for me.

              I think picking is much more easier :)

              ====
              Akram Shalaby.