New distro available

  • Youssef M. Assad
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2002
      I've downloaded Lunar Linux 1.0, if anyone's interested in a copy. Yes, I know it's just 90 Mb for the iso, but I'm on dialup so give me a break.

      In any case, I'll give it a go and let you know what it's like.

      In brief, though, it is a source based distribution. It boots from CD, you select the packages you want, and it compiles them from source. This takes a lot longer, but in the end you get a completely optimised system, built specifically for your particular machine.

      A little hint: this is more complicated than Debian. If Debian scares you, then you should safely be able to disregard this distro. If anyone out there has done the LinuxFromScratch thing, then I think you'll like this.

      Youssef M. Assad