Re: [Linux_Egypt] Re: hear music without soundcard

  • sachinlilo
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002

      thanks buddy ,

       i am so grateful to u , actually many of my freinds told me that its not possible and its just wage idea ...so i gave this a try but now today night i 'll follow your ways lets see if some thing comes up . in between ...did you try listening to music ..its working or not i mean u heard the music

      sachin

      Linux_Egypt@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Yow Man, THNX for this super cool, hyper geeky toy. It finally
      worked with me, and thanks a million for it. Actually the process
      was

      (very) simple after I installed SDL. It all took about 10 minutes,
      but it took me about 2 hours to install SDL (Arrgghh). Anyway, SDL
      was

      already installed on my Mandrake, but for some peculiar
      reason, ./config couldn't find it. After some failed trials and blah
      blah, here is what you should do if you want to do it.

      CAUTION:: YOU CAN BURN YOUR MONITOR *IF* YOU MAKE MISTAKES
      I am an electronics engineer, so I know what I'm doing. But if you
      screw up and mistype some refresh rates, it is YOUR problem. Don't

      come crying to us. (If this didn't scare you enough, xvidtune
      will : )

      Instructions:
      =========
      1- Install SDL from source. Download from
      http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.4.tar.gz
      install using the usual ./configure ; make ; make install

      2- Install Tempest_For_Eliza from
      http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/tempest_for_eliza-1.0.5.tar.gz

      install using the usual ./configure ; make ; make install

      ** At this point sdl-config file was not found, I had to define the
      environment variable:
      SDL_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/sdl-config (as far as I can
      remember)

      then install again using the same
      ./configure ; make ; make install

      3- You are lucky. Now, everything is installed correctly, read the
      README file that came with the Eliza package for usage instuctions.

      And this is the part where you can start FRYING YOUR MONITOR.
      Really, if you're a bignner of any sort, I strongly recommend you

      forget about this whole thing.

      PS: As far as I understand it, if you don't make mistakes, this app
      is perfectly safe to use. That is becuase it doesn't impose non

      standard refresh rates on your monitor! or anything. It just draws
      black and white patterns on the screen to shape the radiated

      electromagnetic waves (which is pretty cool)

      --- In Linux_Egypt@y..., "sachinlilo" wrote:
      > hi guys ,
      >

      > i think the C interpreter was too hot topic to be discussed more
      on this groups ..i have debugged the code my self and its working
      fine ...now one very good thing i want to share with all u
      guys ...you can hear music without soundcard(that's what my freind
      told me ) now when i compile this i get a error as SDL lib needed i
      installed those libraries then also some errors are coming ...can
      any one tell me what the errors mean ...am i using some wrong
      version of SDL , sending you the tar.gz formate of the app ..plz
      compile it and see that it really is what it claims

      > http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/
      >

      > plz download the thing ..and yes do inform me the resul! ts i am
      really very excited about it ....this calls for a cheers if this
      thing works

      http://email.indiatimes.com
      > Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from
      http://www.planetm.co.in
      > Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to
      Phone service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD
      rates. Go to http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com. Choose your plan.
      BUY NOW.

      4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/0XFolB/TM

      Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in
      Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to Phone service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD rates. Go to http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com. Choose your plan. BUY NOW.
    • Mohammed Sameer
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002
        My Inbox Happily Received This From engineer_ak @ Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:31:53 -0000

        > (very) simple after I installed SDL. It all took about 10 minutes,
        > but it took me about 2 hours to install SDL (Arrgghh). Anyway, SDL
        > was
        why ?
        i just installed the sdl-devel package and it went good

        > CAUTION:: YOU CAN BURN YOUR MONITOR *IF* YOU MAKE MISTAKES
        > I am an electronics engineer, so I know what I'm doing. But if you
        > screw up and mistype some refresh rates, it is YOUR problem. Don't
        Oh well i'm not an electronic engineer, but you must have your mind working ;)
        well i didn't try it in the late night as i do normally :P
        but i wasn't afraid cause i know that the monitor drops to standby mode when it detects any refresh rate it can't handle!
        BUT BE CAREFUL

        > Instructions:
        > =========
        > 1- Install SDL from source. Download from
        > http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.4.tar.gz
        urpmi libsdl-devel package ;)

        --
        ----------------
        -- Uniball @ DALnet
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002
          I'm unable to help unless you post the whole error message
          and please consider stopping your crosspostings

          My Inbox Happily Received This From sachinlilo @ Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:55:53 +0530

          > guys i want to give this software a try but i am unable to compile it ..may be it needs some right version of SDL ..did any body was able to compile the software
          >

          > sachin
          >
          > Linux_Egypt@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >

          > Umm, ok, this is really not something you want to do, sachin, unless you
          > REALLY know what you're doing.
          >
          > This basically uses the monitor to emit radio frequencies and pipes an
          > audio stream into this radio broadcast. Your monitor emits electromagnetic
          > waves, and this is a little bit like radio waves.
          >
          > Tempest for Eliza hijacks the monitor and manipulates the frequency so
          > what you end up with is a mini radio station. You'll be able to tune into
          > it, but probably not from very far away.
          >
          > Unless your real name is Niels Bohr or Albert Einstein, I do not recommend
          > it. You'll probably blow your monitor up.
          >
          > Youssef M. Assad

          > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/0XFolB/TM

          > Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in
          > Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to Phone service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD rates. Go to http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com Choose your plan. BUY NOW.

          --
          ----------------
          -- Uniball @ DALnet
          Linux registered user # 224950
          ICQ # 58475622
          With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibilities.
        • engineer_ak
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002
            Hi all

            > i just installed the sdl-devel package and it went good

            Well why didn't he mention installing the -devel one :( Plus, I
            never claimed to be a Linux guru, ana 3ala 2ady ya Mohammed : )

            > Oh well i'm not an electronic engineer, but you must have your
            mind working ;)
            > well i didn't try it in the late night as i do normally :P
            > but i wasn't afraid cause i know that the monitor drops to standby
            >mode when it detects any refresh rate it can't handle!

            WARNING: Take care Mohammed, that is the case only with newer
            monitors that are microprocessor based and that contain this kind of
            protection. My 5 year old monitor (a burnt one now : ( is proof of
            what I am saying. It was burnt while I was using Softice system
            debugger which aparently caused incorrect sync signals to be sent to
            the monitor : (

            So to anyone willing to try this. DO NOT just assume your monitor is
            protected (especially if old), unless you know so.