Re: [Linux_Egypt] Re: hear music without soundcard

  • sachinlilo
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2002

      guys i want to give this software a try but i am unable to compile it ..may be it needs some right version of SDL ..did any body was able to compile the software

      sachin

      Linux_Egypt@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Umm, ok, this is really not something you want to do, sachin, unless you
      REALLY know what you're doing.

      This basically uses the monitor to emit radio frequencies and pipes an
      audio stream into this radio broadcast. Your monitor emits electromagnetic
      waves, and this is a little bit like radio waves.

      Tempest for Eliza hijacks the monitor and manipulates the frequency so
      what you end up with is a mini radio station. You'll be able to tune into
      it, but probably not from very far away.

      Unless your real name is Niels Bohr or Albert Einstein, I do not recommend
      it. You'll probably blow your monitor up.

      Youssef M. Assad

      4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/0XFolB/TM

      Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in
      Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to Phone service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD rates. Go to http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com. Choose your plan. BUY NOW.
    • sachinlilo
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002

        thanks buddy ,

         i am so grateful to u , actually many of my freinds told me that its not possible and its just wage idea ...so i gave this a try but now today night i 'll follow your ways lets see if some thing comes up . in between ...did you try listening to music ..its working or not i mean u heard the music

        sachin

        Linux_Egypt@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Yow Man, THNX for this super cool, hyper geeky toy. It finally
        worked with me, and thanks a million for it. Actually the process
        was

        (very) simple after I installed SDL. It all took about 10 minutes,
        but it took me about 2 hours to install SDL (Arrgghh). Anyway, SDL
        was

        already installed on my Mandrake, but for some peculiar
        reason, ./config couldn't find it. After some failed trials and blah
        blah, here is what you should do if you want to do it.

        CAUTION:: YOU CAN BURN YOUR MONITOR *IF* YOU MAKE MISTAKES
        I am an electronics engineer, so I know what I'm doing. But if you
        screw up and mistype some refresh rates, it is YOUR problem. Don't

        come crying to us. (If this didn't scare you enough, xvidtune
        will : )

        Instructions:
        =========
        1- Install SDL from source. Download from
        http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.4.tar.gz
        install using the usual ./configure ; make ; make install

        2- Install Tempest_For_Eliza from
        http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/tempest_for_eliza-1.0.5.tar.gz

        install using the usual ./configure ; make ; make install

        ** At this point sdl-config file was not found, I had to define the
        environment variable:
        SDL_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/sdl-config (as far as I can
        remember)

        then install again using the same
        ./configure ; make ; make install

        3- You are lucky. Now, everything is installed correctly, read the
        README file that came with the Eliza package for usage instuctions.

        And this is the part where you can start FRYING YOUR MONITOR.
        Really, if you're a bignner of any sort, I strongly recommend you

        forget about this whole thing.

        PS: As far as I understand it, if you don't make mistakes, this app
        is perfectly safe to use. That is becuase it doesn't impose non

        standard refresh rates on your monitor! or anything. It just draws
        black and white patterns on the screen to shape the radiated

        electromagnetic waves (which is pretty cool)

        --- In Linux_Egypt@y..., "sachinlilo" wrote:
        > hi guys ,
        >

        > i think the C interpreter was too hot topic to be discussed more
        on this groups ..i have debugged the code my self and its working
        fine ...now one very good thing i want to share with all u
        guys ...you can hear music without soundcard(that's what my freind
        told me ) now when i compile this i get a error as SDL lib needed i
        installed those libraries then also some errors are coming ...can
        any one tell me what the errors mean ...am i using some wrong
        version of SDL , sending you the tar.gz formate of the app ..plz
        compile it and see that it really is what it claims

        > http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/
        >

        > plz download the thing ..and yes do inform me the resul! ts i am
        really very excited about it ....this calls for a cheers if this
        thing works

        http://email.indiatimes.com
        > Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from
        http://www.planetm.co.in
        > Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to
        Phone service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD
        rates. Go to http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com. Choose your plan.
        BUY NOW.

        4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/0XFolB/TM

        Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in
        Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to Phone service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD rates. Go to http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com. Choose your plan. BUY NOW.
      • Mohammed Sameer
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002
          My Inbox Happily Received This From engineer_ak @ Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:31:53 -0000

          > (very) simple after I installed SDL. It all took about 10 minutes,
          > but it took me about 2 hours to install SDL (Arrgghh). Anyway, SDL
          > was
          why ?
          i just installed the sdl-devel package and it went good

          > CAUTION:: YOU CAN BURN YOUR MONITOR *IF* YOU MAKE MISTAKES
          > I am an electronics engineer, so I know what I'm doing. But if you
          > screw up and mistype some refresh rates, it is YOUR problem. Don't
          Oh well i'm not an electronic engineer, but you must have your mind working ;)
          well i didn't try it in the late night as i do normally :P
          but i wasn't afraid cause i know that the monitor drops to standby mode when it detects any refresh rate it can't handle!
          BUT BE CAREFUL

          > Instructions:
          > =========
          > 1- Install SDL from source. Download from
          > http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.4.tar.gz
          urpmi libsdl-devel package ;)

          --
          ----------------
          -- Uniball @ DALnet
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002
            I'm unable to help unless you post the whole error message
            and please consider stopping your crosspostings

            My Inbox Happily Received This From sachinlilo @ Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:55:53 +0530

            > guys i want to give this software a try but i am unable to compile it ..may be it needs some right version of SDL ..did any body was able to compile the software
            >

            > sachin
            >
            > Linux_Egypt@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            >

            > Umm, ok, this is really not something you want to do, sachin, unless you
            > REALLY know what you're doing.
            >
            > This basically uses the monitor to emit radio frequencies and pipes an
            > audio stream into this radio broadcast. Your monitor emits electromagnetic
            > waves, and this is a little bit like radio waves.
            >
            > Tempest for Eliza hijacks the monitor and manipulates the frequency so
            > what you end up with is a mini radio station. You'll be able to tune into
            > it, but probably not from very far away.
            >
            > Unless your real name is Niels Bohr or Albert Einstein, I do not recommend
            > it. You'll probably blow your monitor up.
            >
            > Youssef M. Assad

            > 4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/0XFolB/TM

            > Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from http://www.planetm.co.in
            > Change the way you talk. Indiatimes presents "Valufon", Your PC to Phone service with clear voice at rates far less than the normal ISD rates. Go to http://www.valufon.indiatimes.com Choose your plan. BUY NOW.

            --
            ----------------
            -- Uniball @ DALnet
            Linux registered user # 224950
            ICQ # 58475622
            With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibilities.
          • engineer_ak
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002
              Hi all

              > i just installed the sdl-devel package and it went good

              Well why didn't he mention installing the -devel one :( Plus, I
              never claimed to be a Linux guru, ana 3ala 2ady ya Mohammed : )

              > Oh well i'm not an electronic engineer, but you must have your
              mind working ;)
              > well i didn't try it in the late night as i do normally :P
              > but i wasn't afraid cause i know that the monitor drops to standby
              >mode when it detects any refresh rate it can't handle!

              WARNING: Take care Mohammed, that is the case only with newer
              monitors that are microprocessor based and that contain this kind of
              protection. My 5 year old monitor (a burnt one now : ( is proof of
              what I am saying. It was burnt while I was using Softice system
              debugger which aparently caused incorrect sync signals to be sent to
              the monitor : (

              So to anyone willing to try this. DO NOT just assume your monitor is
              protected (especially if old), unless you know so.