Re: [Linux_Egypt] Digest Number 135

  • Mohammad ElRayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28 2:16 PM
      Dear all,
      finally, I succeeded in installing Linux Red Hat from the online mag cds.. I
      mounted the other partitions of the hard drive and the display is great.
      However, I have some problems:
      1. The Linux did not find my modem (Modem Blaster 56 PCI card, Internal),
      Creative do not make a Linux driver for it. Does anyone have the same modem?
      if yes, can you please tell me how to get it to work?
      2. I have to mount the partitions of the HD every time I login ... how can I
      do this automaticly ?
      3. Is there a driver needed for my ATI All in Wonder card to capture video
      and work as a TV tuner? What software under linux?

      Best regards to everyone

      Mohammad ElRayes
    • Alaa The Great
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28 6:07 PM
        On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 00:16:08 +0200
        "Mohammad ElRayes" <moray@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        > finally, I succeeded in installing Linux Red Hat from the online mag
        >cds.. I mabrouk, but would you mind making the subject line more relevent.
        you see when you send an obscure subject line, and I reply to you and then
        someone else replies, we creat a whole thread that has a pointless subject,
        now if anyone was to search the archives they'd find it very hard to know
        which questions have been answered before and which haven't.

        > 1. The Linux did not find my modem (Modem Blaster 56 PCI card, Internal),
        > Creative do not make a Linux driver for it. Does anyone have the same
        >modem? most internal modems don't work under linux for reasons described
        in http://www.linmodems.org go there and check if there is any driver for
        your modem. if you can afford it you'd better buy an external modem, they
        don't need device drivers at all and they're more reliable.

        > 2. I have to mount the partitions of the HD every time I login ... how
        >can I> do this automaticly ?
        you have to edit the file /etc/fstab
        I just sent a message yesterday or the day before with the subject
        windows partition
        attached with this message was a post I sent earlier on how to configure
        fstab, please check it and read it. you can check old posts at
        http://groups.yahoo.org/Linux_Egypt

        > 3. Is there a driver needed for my ATI All in Wonder card to capture
        >video> and work as a TV tuner? What software under linux?
        didn't you check the web page of ATI http://www.ati.com
        they seem to have linux drivers for all their products, and if a driver
        doesn't exist I'm sure they'll tell you there.

        I can understand that some of you may be confused about some aspects of
        using Linux but I cannot understand why you don't try to find anything on
        your own. checking the manufacturer's web page seems like a very natural
        first step doesn't it?!

        cheers,
        Alaa
      • mohamed medhat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31 10:35 AM
          Mr. Mohammed ElRayes, regarding your three problems:
          1- most of internal modems are usually not detected in Red Hat linux, so
          the solution is one of two if you wanna hook up your linux pc to the
          internet, through a Network card connected to a LAN, or if it's the only pc
          in the perimeter, then an external modem with serial interface will make it
          a breeze to configure and connect the RH linux to the internet.
          2- if you wanna automate things on startup when you login, edit the
          ".bashrc" file in your home dir and insert any script or command there so it
          is excuted when you login (that's of course if you use the bash shell). for
          instance if you login regularly as root, then edit the /root/.bashrc file.
          3- you don't need a specific driver for the ATI if you're gonna use it as a
          regular video card, the Mach32 or Mach64 generic drivers will do it, but
          specific features of video capturing requires software for that purpose
          (preferably writen by the manifacturer, and if not, something similar which
          is compatible with video card specifications, and i guess that wouldn't be
          that easy to find :) )
          but anyways , keep looking for it on the internet, maybe it's out there and
          you'll find it.

          Mohamed Medhat