BBS

  • Jordan Hayes KG6UAE
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2011
      Anyone here running both Linux/RMS *and* a local BBS program like jnos
      on the same interface?

      It looks to me like jnos wants to frob the hardware, and won't work with
      an existing AX.25 device. I'd like to run a local BBS for exercises and
      whatnot where the Internet can be presumed to be down.

      Thanks,

      /jordan KG6UAE
    • C Schuman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2011
        Jordan,
        I have about 2 doz Ubuntu Packet servers here in Fla and about the globe.
        They all support at least two ports... I can go up to 10.
        Almost all of them run a FPAC node with a RMS Gate and half are running
        a FBB BBS.

        <<Charley>>
        k4gbb

        Jordan Hayes KG6UAE wrote:
        > Anyone here running both Linux/RMS *and* a local BBS program like jnos
        > on the same interface?
        >
        > It looks to me like jnos wants to frob the hardware, and won't work with
        > an existing AX.25 device. I'd like to run a local BBS for exercises and
        > whatnot where the Internet can be presumed to be down.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > /jordan KG6UAE

      • Jordan Hayes KG6UAE
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2011
          > half are running a FBB BBS.

          I can't seem to get to any of the mirrors for this, but you're sayng
          that the FBB BBS can listen directly to AX-25 and (specifically)
          co-exist with RMS on a single AX.25 device?

          This site has been down for a while:

          ftp://ftp.f6fbb.org/pub/f6fbb/distrib

          Is there a better place to get it?

          Thanks,

          /jordan KG6UAE
        • C Schuman
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2011
            Definitely! I don't know of any of the original F6FBB sites/mirrors.
            JC has passed the maintenance of the BBS and FPAC to Bernard Pidoux (f6bvp).
            Bernard only does Linux.
            Looks at his How-to.... http://rose.fpac.free.fr/MINI-HOWTO/
            It is more toward FPAC, but has links to his FBB BBS source and the
            configuration of the BBS.

            <<Charley>>
            k4gbb

            Jordan Hayes KG6UAE wrote:
            >> half are running a FBB BBS.
            >>

            > I can't seem to get to any of the mirrors for this, but you're sayng
            > that the FBB BBS can listen directly to AX-25 and (specifically)
            > co-exist with RMS on a single AX.25 device?
            >
            > This site has been down for a while:
            >
            > ftp://ftp.f6fbb.org/pub/f6fbb/distrib
            >
            > Is there a better place to get it?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > /jordan KG6UAE

          • Bob Evinger
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2011
              I have done it as well. I took my system down last fall. I had one reliable regular user and he became scarce. I decided it just wasn't worth burning the watts 24/7 when no one was interested in making use of the system.

              I was using debian for the Linux distro, fbb and the Linux rms. it worked fine, it did take some effort initially to get all the settings right.

              Bob wd9eka
              Marshall, il

              On Apr 3, 2011, at 12:38, "Jordan Hayes KG6UAE" <kg6uae@...> wrote:

              > half are running a FBB BBS.

              I can't seem to get to any of the mirrors for this, but you're sayng
              that the FBB BBS can listen directly to AX-25 and (specifically)
              co-exist with RMS on a single AX.25 device?

              This site has been down for a while:

              ftp://ftp.f6fbb.org/pub/f6fbb/distrib

              Is there a better place to get it?

              Thanks,

              /jordan KG6UAE

            • pa3gjx
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2011
                Hi Jordan and Others,

                We run three node systems for the fun and their functionality on Ubuntu 7.04 <Feisty>.

                Xnet has callsing PI1YSM-10 JNOS2.0i PI8YSM and LinuxNode PI1YSM

                Xnet with Callsing PI1YSM-10 "looks" at the internet connections. with its AXIP and AXUDP. and can be connected in the WW ax25 netrom network
                and the fast flexnet digipeater network.

                This is because Xnet runs three transport layers FlexnetAX25 TCP/IP and INP3 Netrom. The Flexnet Protcol (only ax25) is extreemly fast and has no overhead so can carry large data loads fast, even on 1k2.

                On the VHF and UHF radio's Linuxnode is doing his job it is connected to the Xnet with AXIP. Linux ax25 is also doing the Winlink RMS system this runs 24/7

                Within linux the RXecho command shows the JNOS system PI8YSM the same as the Linuxnode on VHF and UHF. 1k2/9k6 And Jnos has a comport to do 300bd HF packet, Pactor1 or WinMor on HF. Jnos and Xnet are connected with AXIP.

                We had Jnos talking directly to the KPC9612Plus. (lap 1k2 and 9k6) but if the NOS system hangs for what reason, acces is not possible anymore, and i decided to attach the KPC to the Linux Node with mkiss and this works fine.

                If all works ok, i am able to reset/acces the system either way via Internet HF VHF UHF remotely.

                One of the things we encounterd on the laps was lack of DAMA Master and Slave capebility when the freqenties were very crowded.

                So i recommend look "inside" linux ax25 system for use of the RXECHO command. This Linux configuration can satisfy your needs.

                You can also chose for telnet acces to the FBB system, it is easy done in Linux or NOS like systems to make a command wich refers to your FBB system with telnet.

                One disadvantage wil be the KISS protocol, according to experiments we have done in the 90's :)

                Best 73' And have fun with Packet Radio..
                Jan PA3GJX.