RMS Packet ax25 - don't want to receive messages...

  • iz5fsa
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 15 10:27 AM
      I've installed on IR5AG-10 a packet RMS server. On the same machine I have a dxcluster IZ5FSA-6 and a Xnet node IR5AG-7. All software run in a good way and perform a good packet radio excange with clients.
      Only RMS seems not to be able to manage incoming messages from clients.

      Any idea?

      73 de Leo IZ5FSA
    • C Schuman
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 15 10:33 AM
        Leo,
        Have you configured ax25d for the RMS Gate call?
        If so does it respond to a connect request?

        <<Charley>>
        k4gbb

        iz5fsa wrote:
        > I've installed on IR5AG-10 a packet RMS server. On the same machine I have a dxcluster IZ5FSA-6 and a Xnet node IR5AG-7. All software run in a good way and perform a good packet radio excange with clients.
        > Only RMS seems not to be able to manage incoming messages from clients.
        >
        > Any idea?
        >
        > 73 de Leo IZ5FSA

      • IZ5FSA
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 15 1:54 PM
          Hi Charley,
          thanks for your answer.
          I think I have no config problems 'cause I can connect the RMSnode at first
          shot! AX25 handshake works fine. Even messages downloading works fine. But
          *rmsgw* seems not to be able to "receive" messages from clients! It seems to ask
          *RR0+* "are you still here?" every time the client send a piece of message to
          upload and it doesn't seems to understand that client is sending a message!

          That's my ax25d.conf:
          # /etc/ax25/ax25d.conf
          #
          # ax25d Configuration File.
          #
          # PORTA TNC1 144.850 1k2bps
          #
          [IR5AG-10 VIA tnc1]
          NOCALL * * * * * * L
          N0CALL * * * * * * L
          default * * * * * * - rmsgw /usr/local/bin/rmsgw rmsgw -l debug -P %d %U
          #
          [IR5AG-3 VIA tnc1]
          NOCALL * * * * * * L
          N0CALL * * * * * * L
          default * * * * * * - root /usr/sbin/node node
          #
          # NET/ROM Port
          #
          <netnod>
          NOCALL * * * * * * L
          N0CALL * * * * * * L
          default * * * * * * - root /usr/sbin/node node

          My tnc1 port parameters are:
          Frack = 3100
          RESPtime = 1000
          Checktime = 300000
          Disconnect when idle= 600000
          AX25 Default Mode = 0
          IP Default Mode = 0
          BackOff = 0
          Frame Size = 256
          Connect Mode = 2
          Retry = 15
          Window Size = 32
          Standard Window Size = 7
          Protocol = 0

          My channels.xml is:
          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
          <!DOCTYPE rmschannels [
          <!ELEMENT rmschannels (channel+)>

          <!ELEMENT channel (basecall, callsign, gridsquare, frequency, mode,
          autoonly, baud, power, height, gain, direction, hours,
          groupreference, statuschecker)>
          <!ATTLIST channel name CDATA #REQUIRED>
          <!ATTLIST channel type CDATA #REQUIRED>
          <!ATTLIST channel active CDATA #REQUIRED>

          <!ELEMENT basecall (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT callsign (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT gridsquare (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT frequency (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT mode (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT autoonly (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT baud (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT power (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT height (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT gain (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT direction (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT hours (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT groupreference (#PCDATA)>
          <!ELEMENT statuschecker (#PCDATA)>
          ]>
          <rmschannels>
          <channel name="tnc1" type="ax25" active="yes">
          <basecall>IR5AG</basecall>
          <callsign>IR5AG-10</callsign>
          <gridsquare>JN53OR38IT</gridsquare>
          <frequency>144850000</frequency>
          <mode>0</mode>
          <autoonly>0</autoonly>
          <baud>1200</baud>
          <power>10</power>
          <height>50</height>
          <gain>0</gain>
          <direction>0</direction>
          <hours>24/7</hours>
          <groupreference>1</groupreference>
          <statuschecker>
          /usr/local/bin/rmschanstat $type $name $callsign
          </statuschecker>
          </rmschannels>

          Last but not the least, the gateway.conf.
          GWCALL=IR5AG-10
          GRIDSQUARE=JN53OR
          CHANNELFILE=/usr/local/etc/rmsgw/channels.xml
          BANNERFILE=/usr/loca/etc/rmsgw/banner
          AUTHFILE=/usr/loca/etc/rmsgw/rms.auth
          RMSKEYCODE=XXXXXX
          RMSPASSWORD=XXXXXX
          LOGFACILITY=LOCAL0
          LOGMASK=INFO

          I think this can be a kernel <-> ax25 problem... but the (X)Net node IR5AG-7
          seems to work well wit no problems at all sharing the same tnc1 port!!! And
          the-net-node works fine!!!

          What's wrong? Someone have got those kind of problems?

          Connecting to IW2OHX-10 RMS Linux node via IR5AG-7 (the flexnet node) I have the
          same problem........ is there another LinuxRMS node that works fine I can reach
          via flexnet node IR5AG-7 to make another test?

          73 de Leo IZ5FSA

          Il 15/12/2010 19:33, C Schuman ha scritto:

          > Leo,
          > Have you configured ax25d for the RMS Gate call?
          > If so does it respond to a connect request?
          >
          > <<Charley>>
          > k4gbb
          >
          > iz5fsa wrote:
          > > I've installed on IR5AG-10 a packet RMS server. On the same machine I have a
          > dxcluster IZ5FSA-6 and a Xnet node IR5AG-7. All software run in a good way and
          > perform a good packet radio excange with clients.
          > > Only RMS seems not to be able to manage incoming messages from clients.
          > >
          > > Any idea?
          > >
          > > 73 de Leo IZ5FSA

        • C Schuman
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 15 3:38 PM
            Leo,
            You may have a problem with the client. It is suppose to send a SID -
            [Paclink-4.2.0.0-N01B2FIHM$]
            as the first frame. The first frame from the Gate will be it's SID -
            [WL2K-2.5.0.0-B2FIHJM$].
            If no SID is sent to the RMS Gate then it don't know what to do.

            RR0 says "I'm Ready to Receive frame #0." If nothing is received it will
            "handshake"
            with RR0 again and continue until the idle timeout expires or the retry
            count is exceeded.
            Then it will initiate a DM.

          • iz5fsa
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 15 11:59 PM
              Yes... and I see the SID - [...] but it occurs after FF and FQ reply... I'm using RMS Express on a windows pc with a KPC3. With HF stations I use WINMORE and I have no problem at all. Also telnet connections works fine.

              Other OMs in zone (IW5CWA e.g.) have the same problem.

              Are there special settings I've to made on client?

              73s de Leo IZ5FSA

              --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, C Schuman <k4gbb1@...> wrote:

              > Leo,
              > You may have a problem with the client. It is suppose to send a SID -
              > [Paclink-4.2.0.0-N01B2FIHM$]
              > as the first frame. The first frame from the Gate will be it's SID -
              > [WL2K-2.5.0.0-B2FIHJM$].
              > If no SID is sent to the RMS Gate then it don't know what to do.
              >
              > RR0 says "I'm Ready to Receive frame #0." If nothing is received it will
              > "handshake"
              > with RR0 again and continue until the idle timeout expires or the retry
              > count is exceeded.
              > Then it will initiate a DM.

            • C Schuman
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 16 5:14 AM
                Leo,
                I can't help you with Client settings. I do not use any Clients because
                I only administer
                Servers. I maintain the Fla Amateur Digital Comm Assoc (FADCA) Linux
                Systems and
                I no longer use MS Os.

                <<Charley>>
                k4gbb

                iz5fsa wrote:
                > Yes... and I see the SID - [...] but it occurs after FF and FQ reply... I'm using RMS Express on a windows pc with a KPC3. With HF stations I use WINMORE and I have no problem at all. Also telnet connections works fine.
                >
                > Other OMs in zone (IW5CWA e.g.) have the same problem.
                >
                > Are there special settings I've to made on client?
                >
                > 73s de Leo IZ5FSA
                >

                > --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, C Schuman <k4gbb1@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Leo,
                >> You may have a problem with the client. It is suppose to send a SID -
                >> [Paclink-4.2.0.0-N01B2FIHM$]
                >> as the first frame. The first frame from the Gate will be it's SID -
                >> [WL2K-2.5.0.0-B2FIHJM$].
                >> If no SID is sent to the RMS Gate then it don't know what to do.
                >>
                >> RR0 says "I'm Ready to Receive frame #0." If nothing is received it will
                >> "handshake"
                >> with RR0 again and continue until the idle timeout expires or the retry
                >> count is exceeded.
                >> Then it will initiate a DM.

              • iz5fsa
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 18 3:47 AM
                  That's the connection results I can see on RMS client:

                  *** Calling IR5AG-10
                  *** KPC-3 TNC opened
                  *** Connected to IR5AG-10
                  IR5AG-10 - Linux RMS Gateway LNX2.0.3 Dec 5 2010 (JN53os)Benvenuto su IR5AG - Winlink 2000 RMS Gateway - Scandicci (FI) - JN53osINFO: Host Name perth.winlink.org, Port 8772
                  Connected
                  [WL2K-2.5.0.0-B2FIHJM$]
                  Perth CMS via IR5AG-10 >
                  [RMS Express-1.0.6.1-B2FHM$]
                  ; IR5AG-10 DE IZ5FSA (JN53OS)
                  FC EM R19YPQ7W6LJN 461 351 0
                  F> 76
                  *** Disconnected

                  It seems rmsgw to refuse to continue the qso...

                  Anyone have got problems like these???

> [...]

                  > > I think this can be a kernel <-> ax25 problem... but the (X)Net node IR5AG-7
                  > > seems to work well wit no problems at all sharing the same tnc1 port!!! And
                  > > the-net-node works fine!!!
                  > >
                  > > What's wrong? Someone have got those kind of problems?
                  > >
                  > > Connecting to IW2OHX-10 RMS Linux node via IR5AG-7 (the flexnet node) I have the
                  > > same problem........ is there another LinuxRMS node that works fine I can reach
                  > > via flexnet node IR5AG-7 to make another test?
                  > >
                  > > 73 de Leo IZ5FSA
                  > >

                  > > Il 15/12/2010 19:33, C Schuman ha scritto:
                  > >
                  > >> Leo,
                  > >> Have you configured ax25d for the RMS Gate call?
                  > >> If so does it respond to a connect request?
                  > >>
                  > >> <<Charley>>
                  > >> k4gbb

                  > >> dxcluster IZ5FSA-6 and a Xnet node IR5AG-7. All software run in a good way and
                  > >> perform a good packet radio excange with clients.

                • Brian R. Eckert - W3SG

                    Hi Leo:

                    What do the RMS gateway logs show? At the point where you're
                    disconnected, there will hopefully be something in the logs indicating
                    what the gateway is doing at that point.

                    73
                    - -brian W3SG

                    On 12/18/2010 06:47 AM, iz5fsa wrote:

> [...]
                    >>> GRIDSQUARE=JN53OR
                    >>> CHANNELFILE=/usr/local/etc/rmsgw/channels.xml
                    >>> BANNERFILE=/usr/loca/etc/rmsgw/banner
                    >>> AUTHFILE=/usr/loca/etc/rmsgw/rms.auth RMSKEYCODE=XXXXXX
                    >>> RMSPASSWORD=XXXXXX LOGFACILITY=LOCAL0 LOGMASK=INFO
                    >>>
                    >>> I think this can be a kernel <-> ax25 problem... but the
                    >>> (X)Net
                    > node IR5AG-7
                    >>> seems to work well wit no problems at all sharing the same
                    >>> tnc1
                    > port!!! And
                    >>> the-net-node works fine!!!
                    >>>
                    >>> What's wrong? Someone have got those kind of problems?
                    >>>
                    >>> Connecting to IW2OHX-10 RMS Linux node via IR5AG-7 (the
                    >>> flexnet
                    > node) I have the
                    >>> same problem........ is there another LinuxRMS node that works
                    > fine I can reach
                    >>> via flexnet node IR5AG-7 to make another test?

                  • iz5fsa
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 18 6:42 AM
                      Yep!!!

                      It seems to be an error on AX25!!!

                      /var/log/rms
                      Dec 18 15:19:01 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: IR5AG-10 - Linux RMS Gateway ACI LNX2.0.3 Dec 5 2010 (JN53os)
                      Dec 18 15:19:05 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: ACI Connected to winlink host winlink.org
                      Dec 18 15:19:06 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: Channel: IR5AG-10 on tnc1 (144850000 Hz, mode 0)
                      Dec 18 15:19:07 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: Channel 'tnc1' updated.
                      Dec 18 15:19:07 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: Channel: IR5AG-10 on axip (144850000 Hz, mode 0)
                      Dec 18 15:19:07 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: /usr/local/bin/rmschanstat ax25 axip IR5AG-10 reports unavailable
                      Dec 18 15:19:07 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: Channel Stats: 2 read, 2 active, 1 down, 1 updated, 0 added, 0 errors
                      Dec 18 15:19:07 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: INFO: sendVersion(): assuming destination 'winlink.org'
                      Dec 18 15:19:07 ir5un rmsgw_aci[23058]: INFO: sendVersion(): assuming port/service '8778'
                      Dec 18 15:34:05 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: IR5AG-10 - Linux RMS Gateway LNX2.0.3 Dec 5 2010 (JN53os)
                      Dec 18 15:34:05 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: WARNING: setcmsstat() failed (errno = 13)
                      Dec 18 15:34:05 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: Channel: IR5AG-10 on tnc1 (144850000 Hz, mode 0)
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: ERROR: Timeout connecting to node washington.winlink.org. Skipping...^M
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: WARNING: setcmsstat() failed (errno = 13)
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: Channel: IR5AG-10 on tnc1 (144850000 Hz, mode 0)
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: Login IZ5FSA on tnc1 connected to wien.winlink.org
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: ERROR: write: can't send to AX25 (errno = 32)
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: FATAL ERROR: gateway cannot continue after wien.winlink.org
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: FATAL ERROR: session startup not possible

                      /var/log/rms.debug
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: Setting socket back to blocking...
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: RMS Gateway IR5AG-10 authorization OK
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: CMS Connected
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: Login IZ5FSA on tnc1 connected to wien.winlink.org
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: expectsend() read 12 bytes, buf = [^MCallsign :^M]
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: expectsend() got [^MCallsign :^M]
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: expectsend() read 11 bytes, buf = [Password :^M]
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: expectsend() got [Password :^M]
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: CMS login succeeded
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:34:11 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: CMS [[WL2K-2.5.0.0-B2FIHJM$]^M] -> AX25 (24 bytes)
                      Dec 18 15:34:12 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX.25: wrote 24 of 24 bytes remaining
                      Dec 18 15:34:12 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX.25 buffer write complete
                      Dec 18 15:34:12 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:34:12 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:34:12 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: CMS [Wien CMS via IR5AG-10 >^M] -> AX25 (24 bytes)
                      Dec 18 15:34:12 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX.25: wrote 24 of 24 bytes remaining
                      Dec 18 15:34:12 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX.25 buffer write complete
                      Dec 18 15:34:12 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:36:28 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:36:28 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX25 [[RMS Express-1.0.6.1-B2FHM$]^M] -> CMS
                      Dec 18 15:36:28 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:37:32 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:37:32 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX25 [; IR5AG-10 DE IZ5FSA (JN53OS)^M] -> CMS
                      Dec 18 15:37:32 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:38:28 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:38:28 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX25 [FC EM R19YPQ7W6LJN 461 351 0^M] -> CMS
                      Dec 18 15:38:28 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:39:22 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:39:22 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX25 [F> 76^M] -> CMS
                      Dec 18 15:39:22 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:39:22 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway)
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: CMS [FS Y^M] -> AX25 (5 bytes)
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: ERROR: write: can't send to AX25 (errno = 32)
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: FATAL ERROR: gateway cannot continue after wien.winlink.org
                      Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: CMS Disconnected

                      --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Brian R. Eckert - W3SG" <eckertb@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Leo:
                      >
                      > What do the RMS gateway logs show? At the point where you're
                      > disconnected, there will hopefully be something in the logs indicating
                      > what the gateway is doing at that point.
                      >
                      > 73
                      > - -brian W3SG
                    • Brian R. Eckert - W3SG
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 18 7:15 AM

                        The thing getting my attention is this:
                        > Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un
                        rmsgw[23100]: CMS [FS Y^M] -> AX25 (5 bytes)
                        > Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: ERROR: write: can't
                        send to
                        > AX25
                        (errno = 32)

                        The CMS is saying send your traffic, which the gateway is correctly
                        trying to forward to the AX.25 connection, but the AX.25 connection is
                        gone--errno 32 indicates a broken pipe which is setup for the running
                        rmsgw process for that connection. If you have some logging from the
                        client of what it's doing, perhaps we can focus in on the cause of the
                        broken pipe.

                        Do you see any other messages in your main syslog? Did rmsgw crash and
                        dump core (is there a core file somewhere from rmsgw)?

                        73
                        - -brian W3SG

                        On 12/18/2010 09:42 AM, iz5fsa wrote:

> [...]
                        > Dec 18 15:38:28 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway) Dec 18
                        > 15:39:22 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit (gateway) Dec 18 15:39:22
                        > ir5un rmsgw[23100]: AX25 [F> 76^M] -> CMS Dec 18 15:39:22 ir5un
                        > rmsgw[23100]: select (gateway) Dec 18 15:39:22 ir5un rmsgw[23100]:
                        > select exit (gateway) Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select
                        > (gateway) Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: select exit
                        > (gateway) Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: CMS [FS Y^M] -> AX25
                        > (5 bytes) Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: ERROR: write: can't
                        > send to AX25 (errno = 32) Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: FATAL
                        > ERROR: gateway cannot continue after wien.winlink.org Dec 18
                        > 15:39:23 ir5un rmsgw[23100]: CMS Disconnected Dec 18 15:39:23 ir5un
                        > rmsgw[23100]: FATAL ERROR: session startup not possible
                        >
                        > --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:LinuxRMS%40yahoogroups.com>, "Brian R. Eckert - W3SG"

                      • iz5fsa
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 18 9:45 AM
                          I think I've to see at hardware... radio and kiss hw

                          I've updated:
                          ax25-apps-0.0.8-rc2.tar.gz
                          ax25-tools-0.0.10-rc2.tar.gz
                          libax25-0.0.12-rc2.tar.gz
                          linux-rmsgw-2.0.1-104.tar.gz
                          node-0.3.2.tar.gz

                          Also my debian is updated:
                          Linux ir5ag 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Thu Nov 25 01:53:57 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

                          Now it seems to have resolver pipe breaks... or broken pipe error=32.

                          Do you think it's better for me to update to another linux flavour?

                          73s de Leo IZ5FSA