paclink to rmsgw

  • young_gun262001
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
      hey all...

      i know it sounds silly and it's probably a stupid question, but i cant seem to work it out....

      I have a paclink that connects to my rms gateway fine over rf...

      but is there a way to connect to it via the internet? I know i can go straight to a cms from paclink, but i was wondering if there's a possibility that i can do it to rmsgw?

      the reason why i ask is that i was wondering if it is possible to do it on a local network ie from this machine im writing on to the gateway on it's server next to here) ????

      charlie
    • Hans-Jürgen Barthen DL5DI
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010

        Hi Charlie!

        Probably yes, it might work, but what is the real advantage?

        The rmsgw is a bridge from ax25 to the CMS which is a telnet server.

        A telnet from Paclink to rmsgw would only open a next telnet connection from rmsgw to CMS.

        So it would be a port-forwarding or telnet-proxy.

        A direct telnet from Paclink to the CMS would save the additional second telnet setup step.

        The basic functionality of the rmsgw is to controle your radio link and swap datas between telnet and the radio link.

        On LinuX the radio part is done by the ax25 kernel, so rmsgw only needs to swap datas between telnet and the ax25 interface level.

        rmsgw does not offer any server functionality, there is no local data storage and not any data manipulation.

        Without any radio link rmsgw looses it’s sense completely.

        Just connect Paclink to the CMS direct.

        Hans, DL5DI

        i know it sounds silly and it's probably a stupid question, but i cant seem to work it out....

        I have a paclink that connects to my rms gateway fine over rf...

        but is there a way to connect to it via the internet? I know i can go straight to a cms from paclink, but i was wondering if there's a possibility that i can do it to rmsgw?

        the reason why i ask is that i was wondering if it is possible to do it on a local network ie from this machine im writing on to the gateway on it's server next to here) ????

        charlie

      • Charles "AI4RI" Blackburn
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
          thnx hans... that was just the answer i was looking for....

          i was asked that question by somebody else i thought thtat that
          would be the case, but idle curiosity made me ask :P

          now to work on an fpac <-> rms interface :P

          charlie
          ai4ri