Ubuntu 8.10 Alt Desktop

  • C Schuman
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
      I have been trying to get a Virtual Host setup on a Linux OS.
      After four or five installs I realized that the Host has to have a GUI.
      I then installed Ubuntu 8.10 alt Desktop. It takes twice as much disk
      space and three times longer than
      a Server version. At 0200 I was too tired to follow up with a Virtualbox
      installion.
      But, I did discover that the Ubuntu 8.10 alt Desktop does have a "good"
      Ax.25 kernel configuration that will
      allow you to setup ax.25 w/o a kernel recompile.

      73
      <<Charlie>>
      k4gbb
    • Larry Levesque
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
        How do you set ax25 up with the alt install cd?

        --
        KA1VGM
        Larry Levesque
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
          Larry,
          The Alternate Desktop Version is just like the Desktop version.
          The difference is the Alt version can be used to automate an install.
          If you have a doz or so Desktop Systems to install you can "automate"
          the installion by setting the configuration onto a FD
          and you not have to babysit waiting for the next prompt(s).

          <<Charlie>>
          k4gbb

          Larry Levesque wrote:
          > How do you set ax25 up with the alt install cd?
          >

          > On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:18:15 -0400
          > C Schuman <k4gbb1@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I have been trying to get a Virtual Host setup on a Linux OS.
          >> After four or five installs I realized that the Host has to have a GUI.
          >> I then installed Ubuntu 8.10 alt Desktop. It takes twice as much disk
          >> space and three times longer than
          >> a Server version. At 0200 I was too tired to follow up with a Virtualbox
          >> installion.
          >> But, I did discover that the Ubuntu 8.10 alt Desktop does have a "good"
          >> Ax.25 kernel configuration that will
          >> allow you to setup ax.25 w/o a kernel recompile.
          >>
          >> 73
          >> <<Charlie>>
          >> k4gbb

        • Larry Levesque
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
            I have the alt versiob but am unsure as to how to make it install ax25..

            --
            KA1VGM
            Larry Levesque
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
              Larry,
              The first thing is to install an OS.
              No matter if it is RH, Ubuntu or Knoppix.
              The Support is there in all of them.
              The next thing you need to do is install the ax.25 Service.
              This consists of Libax25, Ax25-tools and Ax25-apps.
              You can use apt-get or download the source and compile it on your machine.

              If you have a system installed I can walk you thru the process.

              <<Charlie>>
              k4gbb

              Larry Levesque wrote:
              > I have the alt versiob but am unsure as to how to make it install ax25..
              >
              > On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 18:34:26 -0400
              > C Schuman <k4gbb1@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Larry,
              >> The Alternate Desktop Version is just like the Desktop version.
              >> The difference is the Alt version can be used to automate an install.
              >> If you have a doz or so Desktop Systems to install you can "automate"
              >> the installion by setting the configuration onto a FD
              >> and you not have to babysit waiting for the next prompt(s).
              >>
              >> <<Charlie>>
              >> k4gbb
              >>
              >> Larry Levesque wrote:
              >>
              >>> How do you set ax25 up with the alt install cd?

            • Larry Levesque
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
                Okay, I will let you know. I just thought that someone said 8.10 was broken with AX25.

                --
                KA1VGM
                Larry Levesque
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
                  Yes, I reported that the Server Version did not have the Ax.25 DAMA
                  Slave enabled.
                  The Alt Desktop Version Does have it enabled.. so much for consistency.

                  <<Charlie>>
                  k4gbb

                • Larry Levesque
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
                    That is good news. I will work on installing it this weekend.

                    I am also thinking of trying my hand at installing LINUXRMS on a Sheevaplug. Know of anyone doing this yet?

                    --
                    KA1VGM
                    Larry Levesque
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
                      Maybe a I should try to clarify the situation with the Ax25 DAMA Slave
                      setting.
                      The distros are not really Broken... their Kernels are just not
                      configured correctly.
                      It is easy, for me, to change the kernel configuration file and
                      re-compile the kernel.
                      It does present a challenge for lots of HAMs who don't deal with Kernel
                      configurations and compiling.
                      So choosing a distro that is "good out of the box" is a must.

                      To repeat the problem...
                      If the Ax25 DAMA Slave setting is not set to Yes when the Kernel is
                      compiled the /proc/sys/net/ax25/ dir will
                      disappear when you attach an ax25 device. This missing directory is
                      important because it holds the parameters for the port's operation.
                      It's like trying to operate a TNC with out a Frack or a Retry value. The
                      directory reappears when you detach the device and killall kissattach.

                      I hope that helps clarify the situation

                      73
                      <<Charlie>>
                      k4gbb
                    • C Schuman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 3, 2009
                        Sheevaplug????
                        Is that like a USB thumb drive?
                        I have two thumb drives that and a CE flash chip that boot up a Linux
                        system, but neither of them was created by me.
                        I know it works, but Not how to affect the process. There are tons of
                        How-tos that can help the process along.

                        <<Charlie>>
                        k4gbb

                      • Larry Levesque
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2009
                          No. Actually a full fledged Ghz speed processor with USB port, serial port, 512MB RAM, ethernet port, JTAG port running linux.. Jaunty I believe... all in a package that is the size of a wall wart for $99 for the development kit (~$50 in large qty's)

                          http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp

                          --
                          KA1VGM
                          Larry Levesque
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4, 2009
                            Ah Yes... I have a package like that. I bought it last year to try and
                            install a system in. Mine came from DSL and has a 2.4.36 kernel and DSL
                            distro.
                            What with other projects I have not had time to do more that set it up.
                            This one is 800Mhz and is quite a bit more expensive. No fans or moving
                            parts the storage media is a 2 Gig CE Flash chip. I have since cornered
                            a laptop HD and CD drive to add to the case, but the power supply may
                            not be stiff enough to carry the load.
                            You might want to wander around the Damnedsmalllinux web site for some
                            hints. The have a newer Distr called DSL Not.

                            <<Charlie>>

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 4, 2009
                              I am not exactly sure what I will end up doing.

                              I just installed ubuntu 8.10 alternate to a machine and am interested
                              in having you talk me through setting up ax25 on it. I have never been
                              able to get ax25 working correctly in linux

                              On 4/4/09, C Schuman <k4gbb1@...> wrote:
                              > Ah Yes... I have a package like that. I bought it last year to try and
                              > install a system in. Mine came from DSL and has a 2.4.36 kernel and DSL
                              > distro.
                              > What with other projects I have not had time to do more that set it up.
                              > This one is 800Mhz and is quite a bit more expensive. No fans or moving
                              > parts the storage media is a 2 Gig CE Flash chip. I have since cornered
                              > a laptop HD and CD drive to add to the case, but the power supply may
                              > not be stiff enough to carry the load.
                              > You might want to wander around the Damnedsmalllinux web site for some
                              > hints. The have a newer Distr called DSL Not.
                              >
                              > <<Charlie>>
                              >> No. Actually a full fledged Ghz speed processor with USB port, serial
                              >> port, 512MB RAM, ethernet port, JTAG port running linux.. Jaunty I
                              >> believe... all in a package that is the size of a wall wart for $99 for
                              >> the development kit (~$50 in large qty's)
                              >>
                              >> http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp
                              >>

                              >> On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 19:54:05 -0400
                              >> C Schuman <k4gbb1@...> wrote:
                              >>

                              >>> Sheevaplug????
                              >>> Is that like a USB thumb drive?
                              >>> I have two thumb drives that and a CE flash chip that boot up a Linux
                              >>> system, but neither of them was created by me.
                              >>> I know it works, but Not how to affect the process. There are tons of
                              >>> How-tos that can help the process along.
                              >>>
                              >>> <<Charlie>>
                              >>> k4gbb

                              --
                              Larry Levesque