Software Update

  • Hans-Juergen
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi all!

      The Winlink RMS-Packet-Radio-Statuspage shows that most of you
      meanwhile updated to the new Linux RMS Gateway 2.0.0.
      Obviously this created no issues and all stations are working fine.

      We would like to ask everybody who did not yet update the system to do
      this within next days to make sure that we all have the full RMS
      feature support in use.
      Obviously there are currently stations which do not even report the
      configured channels to the database servers. This must be a very old
      version of our gateway, I suggest it is even the old Telpac software.

      You may have read that the Winlink team announced to switch the
      Telpac-support off by today, march 1st.
      This means that from today on only the RMS Gateway can be supported.

      The latest release can be found in the files section of this group and
      within next days also on the Winlink download page.

      Please update all!

      Thanks!

      Best 73

      Hans, DL5DI
    • David Wilburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
        I have looked through the installation document, and understandably it
        is written from the point of view of an installation. Do all of those
        steps need to be done for upgrading?

        Is there any walk through on just doing an upgrade?
        Should we just backup the /etc/rmsgw and /etc/ax26 ?

        Dave Wilburn
        NM4M

        Hans-Juergen wrote:

        > Hi all!
        >
        > The Winlink RMS-Packet-Radio-Statuspage shows that most of you
        > meanwhile updated to the new Linux RMS Gateway 2.0.0.
        > Obviously this created no issues and all stations are working fine.
        >
        > We would like to ask everybody who did not yet update the system to do
        > this within next days to make sure that we all have the full RMS
        > feature support in use.
        > Obviously there are currently stations which do not even report the
        > configured channels to the database servers. This must be a very old
        > version of our gateway, I suggest it is even the old Telpac software.
        >
        > You may have read that the Winlink team announced to switch the
        > Telpac-support off by today, march 1st.
        > This means that from today on only the RMS Gateway can be supported.
        >
        > The latest release can be found in the files section of this group and
        > within next days also on the Winlink download page.
        >
        > Please update all!
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Best 73
        >
        > Hans, DL5DI

      • C Schuman
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2009
          Dave,
          I was able to upgrade my systems by compiling and installing the new code.
          The install process renames the old code .~1~.
          In some cases I had to I had to replace the new rmschanstat with the old
          rmschanstat.
          That was due to my systems using a somewhat different process to detect
          the channel status.

          <<Charlie>>
          k4gbb

          David Wilburn wrote:
          > I have looked through the installation document, and understandably it
          > is written from the point of view of an installation. Do all of those
          > steps need to be done for upgrading?
          >
          > Is there any walk through on just doing an upgrade?
          > Should we just backup the /etc/rmsgw and /etc/ax26 ?
          >
          > Dave Wilburn
          > NM4M
          >
          > Hans-Juergen wrote:
          >
          >> Hi all!
          >>
          >> The Winlink RMS-Packet-Radio-Statuspage shows that most of you
          >> meanwhile updated to the new Linux RMS Gateway 2.0.0.
          >> Obviously this created no issues and all stations are working fine.
          >>
          >> We would like to ask everybody who did not yet update the system to do
          >> this within next days to make sure that we all have the full RMS
          >> feature support in use.
          >> Obviously there are currently stations which do not even report the
          >> configured channels to the database servers. This must be a very old
          >> version of our gateway, I suggest it is even the old Telpac software.
          >>
          >> You may have read that the Winlink team announced to switch the
          >> Telpac-support off by today, march 1st.
          >> This means that from today on only the RMS Gateway can be supported.
          >>
          >> The latest release can be found in the files section of this group and
          >> within next days also on the Winlink download page.
          >>
          >> Please update all!
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >>
          >> Best 73
          >>
          >> Hans, DL5DI
          >>

          > ------------------------------------

        • Brian R. Eckert - W3SG
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
            Hi Dave!

            We did not include anything on a simple upgrade and your question points
            out a need to create something to get upgraders going in the right
            direction.

            The upgrade is straight forward when moving from the beta to the release
            version:

            1. make
            2. make install
            -- pay attention to the prompts asking to overwrite certain files,
            but in nearly all setups, the default answers are appropriate;
            if you make a mistake, the original file is backed up in the
            directory where it lives before being replaced, so you can recover it if
            needed

            At that point you are finished and should only need test the gateway to
            ensure that everything is still okay.

            Anyone upgrade from the earlier TelPac Node will need to follow the
            instructions in the INSTALLING file, as things are quite a bit different
            for the Linux RMS Gateway setup.

            I don't think I've missed anything for the simple upgrade, but if I
            have, please let me know if something is wrong.

            As a side note, there are some minor defects that have been corrected
            since 2.0.0, and Hans and I are planning to release 2.0.1 with those
            fixes. They are all what I would call "cosmetic", so there is no urgency
            for anyone to jump to 2.0.1 when it comes out (probably by the end of
            this weekend, depending on our schedules).

            Items originally scheduled for 2.0.1 will be pushed to 2.0.2. Features
            for 2.0.2 are still somewhat open, but it will include a basic gateway
            status monitor, eliminating much of the need to scan the logs to know
            how the gateway is functioning and what it is doing.

            There are some other things planned too, but they are a little less
            firm, so I will reserve further comments about what will be in 2.0.2
            until Hans and I have considered some things more carefully.

            Please forgive any typos, I am very time pressed at this moment :-)

            73
            -brian W3SG

            David Wilburn wrote:

            > I have looked through the installation document, and understandably it
            > is written from the point of view of an installation. Do all of those
            > steps need to be done for upgrading?
            >
            > Is there any walk through on just doing an upgrade?
            > Should we just backup the /etc/rmsgw and /etc/ax26 ?
            >
            > Dave Wilburn
            > NM4M
            >
            > Hans-Juergen wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi all!
            > >
            > > The Winlink RMS-Packet-Radio-Statuspage shows that most of you
            > > meanwhile updated to the new Linux RMS Gateway 2.0.0.
            > > Obviously this created no issues and all stations are working fine.
            > >
            > > We would like to ask everybody who did not yet update the system to do
            > > this within next days to make sure that we all have the full RMS
            > > feature support in use.
            > > Obviously there are currently stations which do not even report the
            > > configured channels to the database servers. This must be a very old
            > > version of our gateway, I suggest it is even the old Telpac software.
            > >
            > > You may have read that the Winlink team announced to switch the
            > > Telpac-support off by today, march 1st.
            > > This means that from today on only the RMS Gateway can be supported.
            > >
            > > The latest release can be found in the files section of this group and
            > > within next days also on the Winlink download page.
            > >
            > > Please update all!
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > Best 73
            > >
            > > Hans, DL5DI

          • David Wilburn
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
              Thanks much Charlie and Brian for the replies. I have a Debian
              desktop system that I am wanting to get over to Ubuntu Server, but
              haven't done it yet. Just hate to mess with something that is still
              working. If the timing is ok with you and Hans, I will standby for
              the update and run the upgrade on that. Let me know if I need to go
              ahead and upgrade. No problem either way.

              Dave Wilburn
              NM4M

              Brian R. Eckert - W3SG wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > The Winlink RMS-Packet-Radio-Statuspage shows that most of you
              > > > meanwhile updated to the new Linux RMS Gateway 2.0.0.
              > > > Obviously this created no issues and all stations are working fine.
              > > >
              > > > We would like to ask everybody who did not yet update the system to do
              > > > this within next days to make sure that we all have the full RMS
              > > > feature support in use.
              > > > Obviously there are currently stations which do not even report the
              > > > configured channels to the database servers. This must be a very old
              > > > version of our gateway, I suggest it is even the old Telpac software.
              > > >
              > > > You may have read that the Winlink team announced to switch the
              > > > Telpac-support off by today, march 1st.
              > > > This means that from today on only the RMS Gateway can be supported.
              > > >
              > > > The latest release can be found in the files section of this group and
              > > > within next days also on the Winlink download page.

            • Brian R. Eckert - W3SG
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
                I'm back in the shack for the moment.

                I would say to hang on for a day or two and then do the upgrade once. I
                will be testing the new package this afternoon or later tonight. After
                Hans has had an opportunity to QA the update, we'll post it.

                73
                -brian W3SG

                David Wilburn wrote:

> [...]
                > > for 2.0.2 are still somewhat open, but it will include a basic gateway
                > > status monitor, eliminating much of the need to scan the logs to know
                > > how the gateway is functioning and what it is doing.
                > >
                > > There are some other things planned too, but they are a little less
                > > firm, so I will reserve further comments about what will be in 2.0.2
                > > until Hans and I have considered some things more carefully.
                > >
                > > Please forgive any typos, I am very time pressed at this moment :-)
                > >
                > > 73
                > > -brian W3SG
                > >
                > > David Wilburn wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have looked through the installation document, and understandably it
                > > > is written from the point of view of an installation. Do all of those
                > > > steps need to be done for upgrading?
                > > >
                > > > Is there any walk through on just doing an upgrade?
                > > > Should we just backup the /etc/rmsgw and /etc/ax26 ?

              • David Wilburn
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
                  Thanks

                  Dave Wilburn