Re: Pactor setup help

  • tharenberg
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2013
      Dear Hans,

      I try to do the same setup as you described here @ PJ2A in Curacao. I'm familiar with tnt (and also Kernel AX.25 although not needed for PACTOR) and I already setup a PACKET gateway.

      --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <dl5di@...> wrote:

      > You will find my patched version of tnt here:
      > http://download.prgm.org/dl5di-soft/rms-gateway/downloads

      Maybe you could also include your /etc/tnt/tntc-pt.ini into this file? Would help me quite a bit :).

      Best 73s

      Torsten DL1THM
    • tharenberg
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2013
        Sorry for the noise, figured that out myself (it's just the socket, so that was easy).

        As I received the (new style) credentials yesterday only, I fear we're stuck at this point until 2.3. Willing to test any beta, as soon as it's available :)

        73s

        Torsten (PJ2/)DL1THM

        --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "tharenberg" <tharenberg@...> wrote:

        > Dear Hans,
        >
        > I try to do the same setup as you described here @ PJ2A in Curacao. I'm familiar with tnt (and also Kernel AX.25 although not needed for PACTOR) and I already setup a PACKET gateway.
        >
        > --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <dl5di@> wrote:
        > >

        > > You will find my patched version of tnt here:
        > > http://download.prgm.org/dl5di-soft/rms-gateway/downloads
        >
        > Maybe you could also include your /etc/tnt/tntc-pt.ini into this file? Would help me quite a bit :).
        >
        > Best 73s
        >
        > Torsten DL1THM

      • tharenberg
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2013
          Dear all,

          this goes out to anybody running also a PACTOR setup.

          I think I finished with the setup and thanks to a pair of old-syle credentials we had, I could more or less finish with it (on a machine running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit)

          - TNT (patched version from Hans) is up, running and synchronizing with PTC,
          - adjusted the tnt start scripts (/bin/startproc etc. is not available under Ubuntu)
          - rmsgw is configured and can log into the WL2K system (rmsgw_aci works)

          What I'm missing within the config files provided by Hans (thanks for that!!):

          where do you tell TNT to spawn the connection over to rmsgw?

          In the old mail back from 2011 you mentioned that you run a script before where the user can choose if he wants to be passed through to the EU packet radio network or to WL2K. I wouldn't need that functionality, but rather would want to have all connectioned passed to rmsgw. But I couldn't find where any of this is configured.

          Only saw that "remote_user" is set to rmsgw, but it's login shell is by default on /bin/false, so that alone would not help.

          Hope someone can help us here.

          Best 73s

          Torsten DL1THM
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2013
            Hi Torsten!

            You are obviously the first and only one within the last 5 years who gives that HF installation a try.
            ... or the others just gave up without asking.

            You are right, there is something missing in the sample setup.
            tnt uses a file /etc/tnt/system/autostrt.tnt which describes based on the incoming callsign what program should be started on connect.
            I am using a shellscript at that place which is called "main" and offers a menu to the incoming user.
            He can then decide if to run rmsgw or any other application.
            At the times when I set that system up packet-radio was very common, so you could use the system to enter the packet radio system or a BBS or rmsgw or some other applications.

            After a short timeout rmsgw always starts automatic, which allows to use usual Winlink clients without any manual entry. It only costs a delay of a few seconds.
            I still today have some packet radio bbs running store&forward on HF. This callsigns trigger a BBS connect immediatly without getting the menu and any other option.

            You may also start rmsgw direct with the autostart-feature if you do not want to provide any alternatives.

            The script "main" is located in /usr/lib/tnt.
            This path was missing in the tgz yet.
            I just uploaded an update to the server.
            (http://download.prgm.org/dl5di-soft/rms-gateway/downloads/rmsgw-hfsetup.tgz)

            The setup of "tnt" is very complex and tricky, so I never really forced that during the last years.
            Meanwhile it should not be difficult to create a complete preconfigured image for the Raspberry Pi. I have created a lot of packages for D-Star repeater and gateway applications for different ARM platforms and could do that.
            But you may know that the HF installation of an rms gateway requires the approval from the Winlink team and a special setup on server side.
            It does not work just like the packet-radio setup.
            Better check that first before you spend too much work in it.

            Please let me know if there are any other open questions.
            Once that you have it run, it will work fine for years without any maintenance.
            Here at DA5UDI the RMS-HF-gateway still runs since the first installation in april 2008 with the same setup, just with the known updates to rmsgw. I am running it on a little CentOS system and will give it a try on a Raspberry Pi when I will find some time.

            73 de Hans DL5DI

            SysOp @DA5UDI,DB0LJ,DB0MYK

            --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "tharenberg" <tharenberg@...> wrote:

            > Dear all,
            >
            > this goes out to anybody running also a PACTOR setup.
            >
            > I think I finished with the setup and thanks to a pair of old-syle credentials we had, I could more or less finish with it (on a machine running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit)
            >
            > - TNT (patched version from Hans) is up, running and synchronizing with PTC,
            > - adjusted the tnt start scripts (/bin/startproc etc. is not available under Ubuntu)
            > - rmsgw is configured and can log into the WL2K system (rmsgw_aci works)
            >
            > What I'm missing within the config files provided by Hans (thanks for that!!):
            >
            > where do you tell TNT to spawn the connection over to rmsgw?
            >
            > In the old mail back from 2011 you mentioned that you run a script before where the user can choose if he wants to be passed through to the EU packet radio network or to WL2K. I wouldn't need that functionality, but rather would want to have all connectioned passed to rmsgw. But I couldn't find where any of this is configured.
            >
            > Only saw that "remote_user" is set to rmsgw, but it's login shell is by default on /bin/false, so that alone would not help.
            >
            > Hope someone can help us here.
            >
            > Best 73s
            >
            > Torsten DL1THM

          • tharenberg
            Message 5 of 15 , May 7, 2013
              Hi Hans,

              thank you so much!!! I like this setup, it's so flexible!!

              --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <dl5di@...> wrote:

              > Please let me know if there are any other open questions.

              I think I have it nearly running. Sent you a private mail (as I wanted to show you some screenshots), hope that the e-mail address was correct.

              73s from Curaçao and thanks again

              Torsten
            • la7um
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
                Torsten. The system of Hans, including the delay, did and do work so well seen from Norway, that when my club LA3F applied for enabling a Pactor RMS we aimed for exactly this TNT system and got close supportive advice from Hans.

                By the inevitable time while waiting for all formalities, also support from NRRL the new complicating issue of the soundcard mode WINMOR came up, also info that there would "soon" come a new box SCS P4.
                At the same time we were adviced by Winlink Development Team starting RMS Packet. So we waited.

                Then we just got into betatesting of WINMOR, still longing for the best: Pactor. I then again and again asked for a possible combination.

                RMS Trimode by WDT came, after BPQ32 really jumped into the multi system.
                WINMOR ONLY Microsoft compatible with the .NET 3.5 issue :-(

                Still no LINUX which is so much more stable than all the mess of Windows according to many of my PC friends.

                So here you are.
                As a remote user I would indeed recommend using Hans' system.
                It's always working, when conds ok, hihi.

                Perhaps you can get a buddy, or grandfathering another RMS with WINMOR and SCS Robust Packet on another location. Getting the best out of both?

                Congratulations.
                LA3F...Finn/LA7UM

                --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "tharenberg" <tharenberg@...> wrote:

                > Hi Hans,
                >
                > thank you so much!!! I like this setup, it's so flexible!!
                >
                > --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <dl5di@> wrote:
                >
                > > Please let me know if there are any other open questions.
                >
                > I think I have it nearly running. Sent you a private mail (as I wanted to show you some screenshots), hope that the e-mail address was correct.
                >
                > 73s from Curaçao and thanks again
                >
                > Torsten

              • Hans
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 10, 2013
                  Hi Torsten!
                  Unfortunately it took some time until I could dig into it and I found one reason, why the Pactor terminal program does not start rmsgw in Pactor mode:
                  On my older system it works fine since several years, but actual Linux kernels do no longer support pseudo pty's which are needed for the old tnt software.
                  A way to get helpful error messages is to connect the gateway from outside and then enter the command "runt main" to the terminal of "tntc".
                  The commands may be entered to the tnt console, but are only accepted on channels which are in connected mode.
                  You will see "could not open pseudo pty" or something similar.
                  I reconfigured the kernel on my testsystem, activated the old pseudo pty's, but it still does not autostart rmsgw yet.
                  I am on business trip and vacation and can not do more tests at the moment, will do some more tests when I will be back.
                  It would probably be a better way to change "tnt" to use the actual pseudo tty's.
                  Maybe this information will help you to make some progress.

                  73 from Greece

                  de Hans DL5DI

                  --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "tharenberg" <tharenberg@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Hans,
                  >
                  > thank you so much!!! I like this setup, it's so flexible!!
                  >
                  > --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <dl5di@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Please let me know if there are any other open questions.
                  >
                  > I think I have it nearly running. Sent you a private mail (as I wanted to show you some screenshots), hope that the e-mail address was correct.
                  >
                  > 73s from Curaçao and thanks again
                  >
                  > Torsten

                • SV1UY
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 22, 2013
                    --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <dl5di@...> wrote:
                    [snip]
                    > 73 from Greece
                    >
                    > de Hans DL5DI

                    Hi Hans,

                    If you are still in Greece, are you near Athens? I'll buy you a cold beer if we meet!

                    73 de Demetre SV1UY
                  • tharenberg
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 23, 2013
                      Hi Hans,

                      thanks for digging into that. I had some busy weeks without the time to take care about the system.

                      I think I still have another problem with TNT, this is what happens at the console after starting when trying to run "runt main":

                      TNT V1.9.1(BC,Sound) Packet Radio Terminal
                      LINUX-Version, Created: 2000/06/06
                      Copyright (C) 1993-99 by Mark Wahl, DL4YBG
                      Further development by Matthias Hensler, WSPse 1998-2000
                      Changes from version 1.2 to 1.3 by Johann Hanne, DH3MB
                      GnuPG/PGP extensions by Walter Koch, DG9EP

                      Maintainers: Berndt Josef Wulf (VK5ABN), Hans Mayer (OE1SMC), Matthias Hensler
                      Thanks to many people for testing, suggestions and ideas
                      Find new versions at http://www.wspse.de
                      Send bugreports to mailto:tnt-bugs@...-aachen.de

                      For license details see documentation.
                      To get help: <ALT> H or <Esc> H
                      Compiled on Apr 30 2013

                      runt main
                      Only while connected
                      Try to connect to interface
                      Can't connect to program, will try later again

                      these "Try to connect to interface, Can't connect to program" messages continue appearing about once per minute (also without executing "runt main").

                      changed tnt_bin_dir to /usr/lib/tnt, but that didn't help (and you have it left to "bin/", so that shouldn't be the issue). Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do more logging in TNT to find out what exactly he's looking for.

                      Enjoy your holiday time !!!

                      73s

                      Torsten DL1THM
                    • Hans
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 27, 2013
                        Hi Torsten!
                        Some minor findings that may help to get that old tnt stuff work on actual Linux systems:

                        - change the shell entry in the "main" script (1st line) from #/bin/sh to #/bin/bash
                        I found that the default shell on some distributions is set to /bin/dash by default, which is very limited.
                        In my case the shell did not support the shell command "read" with timeout option, which may cause the endless loop that you saw.

                        - there is a call to a script "sfi.pl" in the main script.
                        Remove that lines. This feature shows the actual solar flux message on connect. It only works if you have a dx-spider running on the same system which provides that information.

                        However, I hope you can get the software run. It is many years old and outdated and was never maintained as there was never any interest.
                        Most important would be to change tnt to support actual pty's, or to add that old pty-feature to the current kernel.

                        DA5UDI is now back on air with that tnt setup. I could get it run after my return from vacation.

                        73 de Hans DL5DI

                        --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "tharenberg" <tharenberg@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Hans,
                        >
                        > thanks for digging into that. I had some busy weeks without the time to take care about the system.
                        >
                        > I think I still have another problem with TNT, this is what happens at the console after starting when trying to run "runt main":
                        >
                        > TNT V1.9.1(BC,Sound) Packet Radio Terminal
                        > LINUX-Version, Created: 2000/06/06
                        > Copyright (C) 1993-99 by Mark Wahl, DL4YBG
                        > Further development by Matthias Hensler, WSPse 1998-2000
                        > Changes from version 1.2 to 1.3 by Johann Hanne, DH3MB
                        > GnuPG/PGP extensions by Walter Koch, DG9EP
                        >
                        > Maintainers: Berndt Josef Wulf (VK5ABN), Hans Mayer (OE1SMC), Matthias Hensler
                        > Thanks to many people for testing, suggestions and ideas
                        > Find new versions at http://www.wspse.de
                        > Send bugreports to mailto:tnt-bugs@...
                        >
                        > For license details see documentation.
                        > To get help: <ALT> H or <Esc> H
                        > Compiled on Apr 30 2013
                        >
                        > runt main
                        > Only while connected
                        > Try to connect to interface
                        > Can't connect to program, will try later again
                        >

                        > these "Try to connect to interface, Can't connect to program" messages continue appearing about once per minute (also without executing "runt main").
                        >
                        > changed tnt_bin_dir to /usr/lib/tnt, but that didn't help (and you have it left to "bin/", so that shouldn't be the issue). Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do more logging in TNT to find out what exactly he's looking for.
                        >
                        > Enjoy your holiday time !!!
                        >
                        > 73s
                        >
                        > Torsten DL1THM

                      • tharenberg
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 29, 2013
                          Hi Hans,

                          thanks again.

                          I really hope we can get it running, the flexibility of the setup is really worth it :).

                          Let me follow up inline:

                          --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <dl5di@...> wrote:
                          > - change the shell entry in the "main" script (1st line) from #/bin/sh to #/bin/bash
                          > I found that the default shell on some distributions is set to /bin/dash by default, which is very limited.
                          > In my case the shell did not support the shell command "read" with timeout option, which may cause the endless loop that you saw.

                          Good point - changed that.

                          > - there is a call to a script "sfi.pl" in the main script.
                          > Remove that lines. This feature shows the actual solar flux message on connect. It only works if you have a dx-spider running on the same system which provides that information.

                          I already removed that from the beginning.

                          > However, I hope you can get the software run. It is many years old and outdated and was never maintained as there was never any interest.
                          > Most important would be to change tnt to support actual pty's, or to add that old pty-feature to the current kernel.

                          Fortunately, Ubuntu Server kernels have

                          CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y

                          so I think re-compiling the kernel is not needed (I don't see any related error).

                          > DA5UDI is now back on air with that tnt setup. I could get it run after my return from vacation.

                          congratulations!! Glad to hear that.

                          Status here is now:

                          I could get rid of the

                          """
                          Try to connect to interface
                          Can't connect to program, will try later again
                          """

                          messages.

                          There were "ACTBOX" commands for every SSID in the tnt-pt.up file, while cannot succeed as I don't run dpbox.

                          While that has been solved, "runt main" will still complain "Only while connected" (and if I understand the source code correctly, this is the intended behavior, but maybe you could cross-check on your setup?).

                          Unfortunately, the ham on PJ2 which gave me remote access to his Pactor (client) station (Airmail 2000) is on vacations now. Will try to reach the station from here but I only have a Windom antenna here so don't know if that will work. Do you know if there is any chance to run the program out of TNT even if the channel is not connected?

                          73s and have a good weekend!

                          Torsten