PI, TINY-X and RMS (Linux)

  • w4jpa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
      We have are just starting to set up a VHF RMS Packet Station. An early decision was to create a completely 12 volt and robust system and we are planning to use a PI, a TINY-X TNC and a Radio from a 12 volt battery. I've dabbled briefly in Linux but will be using this board to find out how to load the appropriate RMS (Linux) software, connect to a TINY-X and then get things up and running. We'll do the 'proof of concept' for my QTH and then look to a better antenna later. I look forward to some interesting dialogue - thanks in advance.

      BobJ
      W4JPA
    • k4gbb
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2013
        Happy Easter Bob!

         I has exactly the same setup you describe running as a RMS Gate and FPAC Node!
        I use a 12 VDC to 5 VDC converter to power the RPi.
        The TNC-x is configured for a serial interface and
        connected to the RPi via a USB - serial adapter. The USB interface of the TNC-x works very well with a PC OS, but after 6 months of effort I was unable to get the FTDI interface to stay up more than a couple of hours.

        Take a look at my Raspberry Web page.

        I also have a RPi fitted with the new TNC-Pi.
        As a kit it is $10 cheaper than a TNC-X and the
        TNC-Pi mounts directly atop the RPi.

        Where would like to start?

        73
        <<Charley>>
          k4gbb

        On 03/31/2013 09:49 AM, w4jpa wrote:
        We have are just starting to set up a VHF RMS Packet Station. An early decision was to create a completely 12 volt and robust system and we are planning to use a PI, a TINY-X TNC and a Radio from a 12 volt battery. I've dabbled briefly in Linux but will be using this board to find out how to load the appropriate RMS (Linux) software, connect to a TINY-X and then get things up and running. We'll do the 'proof of concept' for my QTH and then look to a better antenna later. I look forward to some interesting dialogue - thanks in advance.

        BobJ
        W4JPA

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            LinuxRMS-digest@yahoogroups.com
            LinuxRMS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Robert F Jarvis
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013

          Charlie – Wow!

          I’m off to work now but will look at your site this evening and will no doubt be asking for your help. Setting up such a site will be a new experience to me.

          PI & TNC-X should be shipped today hopefully.

          73

          BobJ

          W4JPA

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013

            Charlie

            I tried to contact you at your qrz.com email but it got bounced. I am anxious for your input re the PI, TNC-X, RMS and would appreciate your getting in touch. My email per qrz.com is good