No SP in keyboard mode

  • charles_boling
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2012
      Newbie here. I can telnet to a CMS and have a full command set available, yet when I establish an AX.25 connection to my RMS, the only commands available are H, LM, K, & B. (LM does show my messages, so I'm connecting with the right callsign) Any idea why?
    • C Schuman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2012
        Are you using a general Packet Terminal or a RMS Client.
        I suspect that you are using a terminal. The RMS Clients put out a
        Station Id (SID) that lets the CMS know that the Client is able to
        handle the interchange. W/o the SID you get limited options.

        <<Charley>>
        k4gbb

        charles_boling wrote:
        > Newbie here. I can telnet to a CMS and have a full command set available, yet when I establish an AX.25 connection to my RMS, the only commands available are H, LM, K, & B. (LM does show my messages, so I'm connecting with the right callsign) Any idea why?

      • Bill Vodall
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2012
          >> Newbie here.   I can telnet to a CMS and have a full command set available, yet when I establish an AX.25 connection to my RMS, the only commands available are H, LM, K, & B.  (LM does show my messages, so I'm connecting with the right callsign)

          > Are you using a general Packet Terminal or a RMS Client.
          > I suspect that you are using a terminal. The RMS Clients put out a
          > Station Id (SID) that lets the CMS know that the Client is able to
          > handle the interchange. W/o the SID you get limited options.

          I sure hope they don't take away the ability to "manually" send brief
          messages... I use it on a regular basis...

          Bill
        • C Schuman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 7, 2012
            Bill,
            Does your station put out a char string like.... [FBB-7.05c-AB1FHMRX$]?
            This is an SID from a FBB BBS. RMS Clients send a similar string. This
            IDs the Pgm (FBB), version (7.05c) and capabilities (AB1FHMRX$).

            I maybe wrong in my analysis... I am a Linux Server person who don't get
            too much chance to interact with the Gate as a User.

            <<Charley>>

            Bill Vodall wrote:
            >>> Newbie here. I can telnet to a CMS and have a full command set available, yet when I establish an AX.25 connection to my RMS, the only commands available are H, LM, K, & B. (LM does show my messages, so I'm connecting with the right callsign)
            >
            >> Are you using a general Packet Terminal or a RMS Client.
            >> I suspect that you are using a terminal. The RMS Clients put out a
            >> Station Id (SID) that lets the CMS know that the Client is able to
            >> handle the interchange. W/o the SID you get limited options.
            >
            > I sure hope they don't take away the ability to "manually" send brief
            > messages... I use it on a regular basis...
            >
            > Bill

          • charles_boling
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
              > Are you using a general Packet Terminal

              Yes, specifically "axcall -r" in Linux

              > The RMS Clients put out a
              > Station Id (SID) that lets the CMS know that the Client is able to
              > handle the interchange. W/o the SID you get limited options.

              Very interesting, Charley! All the documentation I've seen talks specifically about sending messages using plain keyboard mode (not requiring a special client), but then again, I've noticed in a couple of other instances that the WL2k crew has changed something and an announcement shows up in a news post or something, but the old FAQ docs haven't been updated yet. I wonder if this is a relatively new restriction.

              If I knew where to inject an appropriate SID string, I might be able to "spoof" it to see if it would enable the features without e.g. requiring a compressed data stream or something.

              > [FBB-7.05c-AB1FHMRX$]
              > the Pgm (FBB), version (7.05c) and capabilities (AB1FHMRX$).

              so the 1st two segments probably don't matter (as long as it doesn't recognize them -- it might use recognized ones to implement "hacks"), and it's just a matter of encoding the correct capabilities...?

              (BTW, I don't have a "proper" client yet; I figured I'm make sure my gateway worked before I introduced a 2nd variable and started trying to get a client running on Linux.)
            • Bill Vodall
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM, C Schuman <k4gbb1@...> wrote:
                > Bill,
                >  Does your station put out a char string like.... [FBB-7.05c-AB1FHMRX$]?
                > This is an SID from a FBB BBS. RMS Clients send a similar string. This
                > IDs the Pgm (FBB), version (7.05c) and capabilities (AB1FHMRX$).

                In this case I'm using a simple basic packet program with no login
                string. It's a handy low tech use case that allows me to easily use
                and test the local WL2K access points...

                > I maybe wrong in my analysis... I am a Linux Server person who don't get
                >  too much chance to interact with the Gate as a User.

                I'm playing the totally opposite role. A pure user with no application...

                > <<Charley>>

                Bill - WA7NWP
              • C Schuman
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                  Charles,
                  I used axcall w/o the -r option
                  axcall -s k4gbb-2 0 w4bgh-10
                  and sent the following....

                  sp k4gbb;smpt:k4gbb1@...
                  test #2
                  Test,,,, this is a test message
                  /ex

                  Apparently You do not have to have an SID.

                  Here is the output from Help
                  Winlink 2000 is designed for automatic message transfer using Airmail,
                  Paclink, or
                  other client programs that support the B2F protocol. It will also accept
                  limited
                  keyboard commands on telnet and VHF connections.

                  Supported keyboard commands:

                  H or HELP gives you this file

                  LM lists all traffic pending for your call.
                  Shows message ID (MID), date, size, from and subject. Does NOT include
                  messages SENT by you.

                  K <MID> Example: K 1234_KN6KB Marks the pending message delivered.
                  Message may still be read for 3 days using the R <MID> command.

                  KM Mark all messages read as delivered. Message may still be read using
                  R <MID> for 3 days.

                  B, BYE forces a disconnect of the link.

                  R <MID> Example: R 1234_KN6KB Read the specified MID.
                  Only MIDs addressed to your call, bulletins, or originated by you may
                  be read.
                  No attachments.

                  RM Read all pending unread messages to your call sign.

                  SP <Destination(s)> Send a personal text message to the destination(s)
                  indicated. Destinations may be a radio callsign or "SMTP:<email_address>"

                  (NOTE! be sure to include the colon after the SMTP!)
                  Multiple destinations should be seperated by ";" or ","

                  Example: SP W4ABC;SMTP:Johndoe@...;W1AW;SMTP:president@...
                  You will be prompted for a subject of the new message and then prompted
                  for the
                  message body.

                  For the message body enter any text. End with /EX on a separate line.
                  No attachments are supported with the simple keyboard protocol.
                  Acceptance of the message will be confirmed. You will be sent a service
                  message
                  if the message cannot be delivered.
                  For further help contact the network manager, K4CJX (or AAA9AC if you are
                  a MARS user).

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                    I tested against another server in the local area (unknown software, but I'm sure it's Windows), and it behaves fine -- it definitely seems to depend on the RMS! (Both sessions even ended up hitting the same CMS.)

                    Here's a comparison of the streams from the two servers, extracted from an axlisten dump. Note that in each case, the only two commands I send are "h" and "b", which I have indicated with a ">>>" prefix. All other text was sent to me by the RMS.

                    *** MY SERVER (partial command set)

                    AD7UF-10 - Linux RMS Gateway 2.1.0 Apr 17 2012 (CN86pa)
                    Welcome to AD7UF's WL2k RMS Gateway, 600ft above the Kalama River

                    INFO: Host Name halifax.winlink.org, Port 8772
                    Connected
                    [WL2K-2.7.3.3-B2FWIHJM$]
                    ;PQ: 80457676
                    Halifax CMS via AD7UF-10 >
                    WL2K is designed for automatic message transfer using WL2K's B2 Forwarding protocol but
                    supports limited keyboard commands on HF Pactor:
                    Input from keyboard is case insensitive and will be prompted by a ">"
                    H or HELP gives you this file
                    LM lists all traffic pending for your call.
                    Shows MID, date, size, from and subject.
                    K <MID> e.g. K 1234_KN6KB marks the pending message delivered.
                    B, BYE force a disconnect of the link.
                    Halifax CMS via AD7UF-10 >
                    Disconnecting...
                    Welcome to the N7DEM-10 Winlink RMS located at Cowlitz County DEM
                    [WL2K-2.7.3.3-B2FWIHJM$]
                    ;PQ: 52596830
                    Halifax CMS via N7DEM-10 >
[...]

                    Winlink 2000 RMS Packet Server

                    The signoff was different between the two different pieces of software, but the initial exchange was identical as far as I see. Of course, I didn't see what was exchanged over the Internet between the RMS and CMS, and, never having looked at the RMS source code, I don't know exactly how much of my conversation is actually happening with the CMS (relayed char-for-char by the RMS) vs. where I'm actually talking to the RMS, and it's exchanging different data as needed with the CMS. Since the wording of the help is completely different between the two (read the 1st part), though, I'm quite sure that's being generated locally by the RMS.

                    I'll check the config file again to see if I can find any clues as to why my server's neutered. It was pretty recently (Apr 17) that I downloaded the RMS gateway software (rev 131), so I don't think that I'm using a deprecated version.
                  • charles_boling
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                      > (rev 131), so I don't think that I'm using a deprecated version.

                      Of course, as soon as I posted that I looked in the files section here (I don't remember where I got the original pkg) and see a script from December to update to rev 138, so I'm obviously not as current as I thought I was...
                    • Bill Vodall
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                        On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM, charles_boling <charles-yahoo@...> wrote:

                        > I tested against another server in the local area (unknown software, but I'm sure it's Windows), and it behaves fine -- it definitely seems to depend on the RMS!  (Both sessions even ended up hitting the same CMS.)

                        Hey - you're a neighbor (sorta)... I recognize Kalama River and Cowlitz County

                        > .  Note that in each case, the only two commands I send are "h" and "b",

                        It would be interesting to see if the CMS that doesn't list "sp"
                        accepts it. How about sending me a note "sp wa7nwp@..." and
                        see if it works. I don't believe the SMTP: is required any more...

                        If I had the telnet access to my BQP32 stack working I could try it
                        from here but that's another project on the top of the queue...

                        73
                        Bill - WA7NWP
                      • charles_boling
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                          > Hey - you're a neighbor (sorta)...

                          Yes, in fact I used to live up around Snohomish/Monroe and work in Redmond.

                          > It would be interesting to see if the CMS that doesn't list "sp"
                          > accepts it.

                          I wondered the same thing. It doesn't!

                          (Charley: Thanks for making sure I had the latest pkg.)
                          I installed #138 (keeping the source in a permanent place for reference this time) and verified that the executables are slightly bigger than the old ones, so I was indeed running a different version. However...no joy! Same limited options.

                          Interestingly, I set autoonly (man page says disables keyboard connections) to 1 (was 0) and it seems to make no difference. (Just to be sure I was in the right place, I made other changes to verify that it was indeed using that channel configuration.)
                        • charles_boling
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                            > Since the wording of the help is completely different between the two (read the 1st part), though, I'm quite sure that's being generated locally by the RMS.

                            A look through the source code suggests the opposite -- the RMS has very minimal logic, and seems to pretty much set up a session between the client and the CMS, and let them talk to each other. I found nothing resembling either a command parser or a help file.
                          • C Schuman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                              The RMS Gate is merely a bridge between AX.25 and SMTP.
                              As you say it sets up the link and lets the two ends communicate.
                              The command list and response come from the CMS.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 8, 2012
                                Notice the difference in wording between these two servers:

                                > WL2K is designed for automatic message transfer using WL2K's B2 Forwarding protocol but
                                > supports limited keyboard commands on HF Pactor:

                                vs.

                                > Winlink 2000 is designed for automatic message transfer using Airmail, Paclink, or
                                > other client programs that support the B2F protocol. It will also accept limited
                                > keyboard commands on telnet and VHF connections.

                                Elsewhere* I saw a comment from a WL2k developer (KN6KB) noting that "Keyboard commands on HF Pactor are very limited to basically just killing a pending message."
                                * http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/message/2556

                                My mode is set to 6 (Packet > 38400 baud), but I wonder if there's something else in my config that's making the CMS think the client's coming in via Pactor, rather than VHF-or-better packet?

                                Here's what my channels look like:
                                <rmschannels>
                                <channel name="sm0" type="ax25" active="yes">
                                <basecall>AD7UF</basecall>
                                <callsign>AD7UF-10</callsign>
                                <gridsquare>CN86pa</gridsquare>
                                <frequency>144950000</frequency>
                                <mode>0</mode>
                                <autoonly>0</autoonly>
                                <baud>1200</baud>
                                <power>55</power>
                                <height>30</height>
                                <gain>0</gain>
                                <direction>0</direction>
                                <hours>24/7</hours>
                                <groupreference>1</groupreference>
                                <statuschecker>
                                /usr/local/bin/rmschanstat $type $name $callsign
                                </statuschecker>
                                </channel>
                                <channel name="bpq0" type="ax25" active="yes">
                                <basecall>AD7UF</basecall>
                                <callsign>AD7UF-10</callsign>
                                <gridsquare>CN86pa</gridsquare>
                                <frequency>999.999</frequency>
                                <mode>6</mode>
                                <autoonly>0</autoonly>
                                <baud>9600</baud>
                                <power>0</power>
                                <height>0</height>
                                <gain>0</gain>
                                <direction>0</direction>
                                <hours>24/7</hours>
                                <groupreference>1</groupreference>
                                <statuschecker>
                                /usr/local/bin/rmschanstat $type $name $callsign
                                </statuschecker>
                                </channel></rmschannels>

                                gateway.conf doesn't have anything that should relate, but here it is, just for completeness:
                                GWCALL=AD7UF-10
                                GRIDSQUARE=CN86pa
                                CHANNELFILE=/etc/rmsgw/channels.xml
                                BANNERFILE=/etc/rmsgw/banner
                                LOGFACILITY=rms
                                LOGMASK=DEBUG
                              • Hans
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 20 2:03 AM
                                  Hi Charles!

                                  It is the <mode> setting which tells the server if it is Packet-Radio or Pactor.
                                  Mode 6 should be Packet-Radio.

                                  But there are 2 mistakes in your configfile which might cause issues in general. You should see errors in your logfile:

                                  I would have to dig in very old specs to find out if probably the frequency has any influence.
                                  You set the frequency to roughly 1 MHz (999.999 Hz) and you used decimals which is not OK.
                                  The frequency has to be set in Hertz without decimals.

                                  I also see that you obviously run 2 interfaces with the same callsign settings. See what the nice manpage tells you on that:

                                  callsign
                                  Callsign defines the full callsign, with SSID, for the channel. This
                                  must be unique for all active channel definitions in the file.

                                  This link shows that AD7UF-10 is using Packet-Radio:
                                  http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/status/RMSDetails.aspx?callsign=AD7UF-10&stationcall=AD7UF-10

                                  Whatever AD7UF-10 channel it may be :-)

                                  Hans, DL5DI

                                  --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "charles_boling" <charles-yahoo@...> wrote:

                                  > Notice the difference in wording between these two servers:
                                  >
                                  > > WL2K is designed for automatic message transfer using WL2K's B2 Forwarding protocol but
                                  > > supports limited keyboard commands on HF Pactor:
                                  >
                                  > vs.
                                  >
                                  > > Winlink 2000 is designed for automatic message transfer using Airmail, Paclink, or
                                  > > other client programs that support the B2F protocol. It will also accept limited
                                  > > keyboard commands on telnet and VHF connections.
                                  >

                                  > Elsewhere* I saw a comment from a WL2k developer (KN6KB) noting that "Keyboard commands on HF Pactor are very limited to basically just killing a pending message."
                                  > * http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/message/2556
                                  >
                                  > My mode is set to 6 (Packet > 38400 baud), but I wonder if there's something else in my config that's making the CMS think the client's coming in via Pactor, rather than VHF-or-better packet?
                                  >
                                  > Here's what my channels look like:
                                  > <rmschannels>
                                  > <channel name="sm0" type="ax25" active="yes">
                                  > <basecall>AD7UF</basecall>
                                  > <callsign>AD7UF-10</callsign>
                                  > <gridsquare>CN86pa</gridsquare>
                                  > <frequency>144950000</frequency>
                                  > <mode>0</mode>
                                  > <autoonly>0</autoonly>
                                  > <baud>1200</baud>
                                  > <power>55</power>
                                  > <height>30</height>
                                  > <gain>0</gain>
                                  > <direction>0</direction>
                                  > <hours>24/7</hours>
                                  > <groupreference>1</groupreference>
                                  > <statuschecker>
                                  > /usr/local/bin/rmschanstat $type $name $callsign
                                  > </statuschecker>
                                  > </channel>
                                  > <channel name="bpq0" type="ax25" active="yes">
                                  > <basecall>AD7UF</basecall>
                                  > <callsign>AD7UF-10</callsign>
                                  > <gridsquare>CN86pa</gridsquare>
                                  > <frequency>999.999</frequency>
                                  > <mode>6</mode>
                                  > <autoonly>0</autoonly>
                                  > <baud>9600</baud>
                                  > <power>0</power>
                                  > <height>0</height>
                                  > <gain>0</gain>
                                  > <direction>0</direction>
                                  > <hours>24/7</hours>
                                  > <groupreference>1</groupreference>
                                  > <statuschecker>
                                  > /usr/local/bin/rmschanstat $type $name $callsign
                                  > </statuschecker>
                                  > </channel></rmschannels>
                                  >
                                  > gateway.conf doesn't have anything that should relate, but here it is, just for completeness:
                                  > GWCALL=AD7UF-10
                                  > GRIDSQUARE=CN86pa
                                  > CHANNELFILE=/etc/rmsgw/channels.xml
                                  > BANNERFILE=/etc/rmsgw/banner
                                  > LOGFACILITY=rms
                                  > LOGMASK=DEBUG

                                • charles_boling
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 21 9:51 PM
                                    > You set the frequency to roughly 1 MHz (999.999 Hz) and you used decimals which is not OK.

                                    Oops, I since fixed that; it's now 999999999 on the BPQ channel.

                                    > I also see that you obviously run 2 interfaces with the same callsign settings.

                                    Oops #2. I originally only had one active at a time, but somewhere along the line, I activated them both with the same SSID. (I actually had SSID #11 set aside for WL2k on BPQ, but wasn't using it. I'm going to discuss *that* a new thread.)

                                    Now, I tried this again tonight, and here's the weird part:

                                    Leaving both channels set to SSID #10 (which matches what's in gateway.conf and is what I registered) -- I know I'm not supposed to do that -- IT NOW WORKS NORMALLY! I see the full range of options for the CMS, and can send mail, etc. I no longer get the restricted set of options that started this thread, and I have no idea why it changed. One part of me is just really happy that it's working now and wants to just forget about it; the other part is really bothered by it. I think the first part is winning, though...

                                    Thanks for your advise, everyone!
                                  • charles_boling
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 21 10:01 PM
                                      > Oops #2. I originally only had one active at a time, but somewhere along the line, I activated them both with the same SSID. (I actually had SSID #11 set aside for WL2k on BPQ, but wasn't using it. I'm going to discuss *that* a new thread.)

                                      Never mind; it's been so long since I messed with the file that I forgot, <active> is only for the benefit of rmsgw_aci, and setting it to "no" doesn't disable it or anything. So, I set both ports to #10, but only one is declared active. I believe life is good!