Linux version of RMS Express???

  • whitechoctaw
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 13, 2012
      I am looking for a VHF messaging system - a simple or limited
      version of RMS Express that only works with AX-25. No Winmor
      capability desired. If it was written in C, C++, or C# that would
      be good.

      I've looked at the Paclink-unix group. I guess it is not ready for
      use yet.

      Thanks,

      Rich
    • Matthew Pitts
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 13, 2012
        I will be starting on this after the weekend of the 14th and 15th; I will be writing it in C++ and it will eventually support the Linux version of Winmor that is in development.  I have discussed this with the Winlink Development Team within the last month and they support me in this.

        Matthew Pitts
        N8OHU

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 14, 2012
          Matthew,

          That is outstanding. When you want an alpha or beta tester
          just let me know! I am hoping to have a cheap messaging
          system based on the Raspberry Pi or something similar running
          Fedora Linux. Simple is good. I hope to use a 7 inch monitor
          with composite interface and a small USB or bluetooth keyboard.
          Touch screen would be good also.

          This will be for our field emcom use for ARES here in central
          Oregon. In our case peer to peer on VHF is all that we need
          to start with.

          Rich, KQ7R
          Technical support for Deschutes County ARES and three emcom centers

          --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

          > I will be starting on this after the weekend of the 14th and 15th; I will be writing it in C++ and it will eventually support the Linux version of Winmor that is in development.  I have discussed this with the Winlink Development Team within the last month and they support me in this.
          >
          > Matthew Pitts
          > N8OHU
        • Eric Scott
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 14, 2012
            Hi Rich,

            I've been looking into doing something similar.  I've been exploring AX.25 over TCP/IP.  It looks to me like the most you could do would be 9600 bps, but that would be enough to either set up a simple IRC server, and an SMTP mail server.  The Raspberry PI would have enough computing power to run it.  The added advantage would be if you ran that into a WiFI AP,  You could send messages via the Internet, keeping in mind the whole system would have to be simple text based, and very small binaries, etc.  Adding things like FTP, and Telnet would be possible as well.

            '73

            Eric Scott
            KC7KLZ

            That is outstanding. When you want an alpha or beta tester
            just let me know! I am hoping to have a cheap messaging
            system based on the Raspberry Pi or something similar running
            Fedora Linux. Simple is good. I hope to use a 7 inch monitor
            with composite interface and a small USB or bluetooth keyboard.
            Touch screen would be good also.

            This will be for our field emcom use for ARES here in central
            Oregon. In our case peer to peer on VHF is all that we need
            to start with.

            Rich, KQ7R
            Technical support for Deschutes County ARES and three emcom centers

            --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

            > I will be starting on this after the weekend of the 14th and 15th; I will be writing it in C++ and it will eventually support the Linux version of Winmor that is in development.  I have discussed this with the Winlink Development Team within the last month and they support me in this.
            >
            > Matthew Pitts
            > N8OHU

          • garrett_brass
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 14, 2012
              Matthew, Please don't forget us offshore sailors using HF radio who want to send e-mail to Win2K stations but can't afford a PACTOR modem and need to be able to use WinMOR.

              73 Garry AK4NA

              --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

              > I will be starting on this after the weekend of the 14th and 15th; I will be writing it in C++ and it will eventually support the Linux version of Winmor that is in development.  I have discussed this with the Winlink Development Team within the last month and they support me in this.
              >
              > Matthew Pitts
              > N8OHU
              >

              > >________________________________

            • garrett_brass
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 14, 2012
                Matthew, Please don't forget us offshore sailors using HF radio who want to send e-mail to Win2K stations but can't afford a PACTOR modem and need to be able to use WinMOR in LINUX.

                73 Garry AK4NA

                --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

                > I will be starting on this after the weekend of the 14th and 15th; I will be writing it in C++ and it will eventually support the Linux version of Winmor that is in development.  I have discussed this with the Winlink Development Team within the last month and they support me in this.
                >
                > Matthew Pitts
                > N8OHU
                >

                > >________________________________

              • whitechoctaw
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 16, 2012
                  Eric,

                  I am planning on keeping things simple and plan on interfacing
                  the RPI to a Kantronics KPC-3. I expect to use a 7 inch monitor
                  with composite input. It has been too long since I did anything
                  with composite displays and I will need to find a library of
                  routines or Classes to give me control of the composite video from
                  C++ or C#. If anyone knows of such a library that is under the
                  GPL and will work with Debian or Fedora it would help me a lot.

                  Rich

                  --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, Eric Scott <kc7klz@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Rich,
                  >
                  > I've been looking into doing something similar.  I've been exploring AX.25 over TCP/IP.  It looks to me like the most you could do would be 9600 bps, but that would be enough to either set up a simple IRC server, and an SMTP mail server.  The Raspberry PI would have enough computing power to run it.  The added advantage would be if you ran that into a WiFI AP,  You could send messages via the Internet, keeping in mind the whole system would have to be simple text based, and very small binaries, etc.  Adding things like FTP, and Telnet would be possible as well.
                  >
                  > '73
                  >
                  > Eric Scott
                  > KC7KLZ
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Ramon Gandia
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                    Another possibility would be to use a terminal,
                    either serial or usb.

                    This should be easy on an Android device. My
                    Samsung Galaxy note has a very nice display, but
                    smaller devices should also work. In fact, the
                    whole Linux RMS express software could be made to
                    run under Android, which is, after all, just
                    another version of Linux (with a few added or
                    missing features).

                    --
                    /|\
                    Ramon Gandia AL7X, Nome, Alaska USA
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 17, 2012
                      Ramon,

                      Android isn't quite the same, as most apps are written in Java and if they aren't, they are written in a more limited form of C/C++ than what is used in other operating systems.

                      Matthew Pitts
                      N8OHU

                      ------------------------------
                      On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 5:59 AM EDT Ramon Gandia wrote:

                      >Another possibility would be to use a terminal,
                      >either serial or usb.
                      >
                      >This should be easy on an Android device. My
                      >Samsung Galaxy note has a very nice display, but
                      >smaller devices should also work. In fact, the
                      >whole Linux RMS express software could be made to
                      >run under Android, which is, after all, just
                      >another version of Linux (with a few added or
                      >missing features).
                      >
                      >--
                      >/|\
                      >Ramon Gandia AL7X, Nome, Alaska USA
                    • Wayno
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 18, 2012
                        I have never gotten RMS Express to run successfully with Win 7 starter.
                        It is the only version of Windows I have. Came with my netbook. Does
                        RMSExpress work with regular win 7 and not win 7 starter?

                        Could try it under wine, but not sure if RMSExpress requires usb, which
                        wine does not support. A virtual machine is a bit more then a netbook
                        can handle.

                        M$ wants like $130 for the next upgrade to windows 7 (home premium)
                        which probably won't work well on my netbook (over kill). Too bad Win 7
                        basic isn't available in the U.S.

                        I run stock Debian Squeeze on my Netbook (dual boot) and it works fine.

                        Wayno/KA5FVE (Pima County R.A.C.E.S.)

                        --
                        Wayno

                        http://www.pkill-9.com
                        making Linux accessible

                        http://www.ipaimpress.com/author/wayno-guerrini/
                        Freelance

                        http://www.linkedin.com/in/waynoguerrini
                        =====
                      • whitechoctaw
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 8, 2012
                          Eric,

                          I am waiting for delivery of my RPI now that I have a shipment
                          date - for what its worth. There are several other SBC's available
                          for under $100 which will run Linux or Android. Add to that the
                          mini-itx boards from Intel and there are several platforms for
                          field digital messaging. My primary goal is to enable cheap,
                          low power messaging in the field for emergency communications
                          by hams. I will be interfacing only with a Kantronics KPC-3 TNC.
                          My target is then to provide an RMS Express like application for
                          peer to peer radio connections and also enable APRS messages.

                          I am looking to Linux to get the cost down since Microcrap wants
                          so much for their bloated OS. The good folks that are supporting
                          RMS Express are using MS .Net which is not well supported under
                          Wine on Linux.

                          So, I am learning Java now. When I get the first phase done I will
                          explore linking to the internet.

                          Rich

                          --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, Eric Scott <kc7klz@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Rich,
                          >
                          > I've been looking into doing something similar.  I've been exploring AX.25 over TCP/IP.  It looks to me like the most you could do would be 9600 bps, but that would be enough to either set up a simple IRC server, and an SMTP mail server.  The Raspberry PI would have enough computing power to run it.  The added advantage would be if you ran that into a WiFI AP,  You could send messages via the Internet, keeping in mind the whole system would have to be simple text based, and very small binaries, etc.  Adding things like FTP, and Telnet would be possible as well.
                          >
                          > '73
                          >
                          > Eric Scott
                          > KC7KLZ
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Eric Scott
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9, 2012
                            Hi Rich,

                            Sounds like a good idea.  That is kind of what I'm looking to do.  Your KPC-3 is capable of running in kiss mode.  If you compile the AX.25 protocol into your Linux kernel, it is a simple matter to route the AX.25 port to an IP address, and then from there to the internet.  The fun part is getting an IP address.  For that you have to contact your local packet TCP/IP coordinator.

                            I want to set up a small server using AX.25 or TCP/IP.  I would like to see it have a small web server, an e-mail server, and an IRC chat server.  All of those items can be low bandwidth, and you don't have to set up a client.  I think the RPI would make if very portable, and versatile.

                            '73

                            Eric Scott
                            KC7KLZ

                            I am waiting for delivery of my RPI now that I have a shipment
                            date - for what its worth. There are several other SBC's available
                            for under $100 which will run Linux or Android. Add to that the
                            mini-itx boards from Intel and there are several platforms for
                            field digital messaging. My primary goal is to enable cheap,
                            low power messaging in the field for emergency communications
                            by hams. I will be interfacing only with a Kantronics KPC-3 TNC.
                            My target is then to provide an RMS Express like application for
                            peer to peer radio connections and also enable APRS messages.

                            I am looking to Linux to get the cost down since Microcrap wants
                            so much for their bloated OS. The good folks that are supporting
                            RMS Express are using MS .Net which is not well supported under
                            Wine on Linux.

                            So, I am learning Java now. When I get the first phase done I will
                            explore linking to the internet.

                            Rich

                            --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, Eric Scott <kc7klz@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Rich,
                            >
                            > I've been looking into doing something similar.  I've been exploring AX.25 over TCP/IP.  It looks to me like the most you could do would be 9600 bps, but that would be enough to either set up a simple IRC server, and an SMTP mail server.  The Raspberry PI would have enough computing power to run it.  The added advantage would be if you ran that into a WiFI AP,  You could send messages via the Internet, keeping in mind the whole system would have to be simple text based, and very small binaries, etc.  Adding things like FTP, and Telnet would be possible as well.
                            >
                            > '73
                            >
                            > Eric Scott
                            > KC7KLZ
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • C Schuman
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 9, 2012
                              Take a look at FPAC.... http://rose.fpac.free.fr/MINI-HOWTO/
                              FPAC is basically a ROSE node, but will interface with Flex, NetRom, TCP
                              and much more. FPAC can handle up to 10 ports and support connections to
                              Telnet and other nodes via AxUDP.

                              Don't be in a big hurry to make your ax25, kiss, netrom & rose Modules
                              static... Load them as you need them. They are mostly stable, but
                              recompiling them every time they change is a PAIN.

                              <<Charley>>
                              k4gbb

                            • whitechoctaw
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 23, 2012
                                Eric,

                                I have written some software in Java on Fedora 16 that interfaces
                                with a Kantronics KPC-3. I can send messages via APRS. Now I have
                                to work on the protocol for Winlink. At this point I am not addressing the internet interface. Since the snow season just
                                ended here there will other things to do beside coding. I will post
                                my progress here.