Important New Gateway Version Coming

  • Brian R. Eckert - W3SG

      Hi Everyone!

      It's been a while since we've had any upgrades but we want to give you
      advance notice of an important update that is coming.

      There are some significant internal changes which will require *all*
      gateways to update as quickly as practical after we make the release.
      Older versions of the gateway will cease to function at some point after
      the new gateway is released. An exact date is not set yet.

      Hans and I are in the process of finalizing a few details and preparing
      to test, but the aside from getting and installing the new code, here
      are some things I can say for certain:
      * libwl2k is gone -- it has been superseded by new functionality and
      eliminates any object code only components; this will make several folks
      very happy who want to put the gateway on some other embedded, low-power
      systems but have been prevented from doing so because of my inability to
      find enough time and energy to get it cross compiled for the other platforms
      * the new CMS host table will be included (it was previously done as a
      single file uploaded to the files area)
      * the registration process to obtain a KEYCODE is no longer necessary
      * some elements will be dropped from the configuration file, but we will
      try not to break current configurations.

      There are no new features in this release, and work which I had in
      flight seems to be significantly affected.

      We know some of you have put a lot of work into your gateway setups, so
      while we can't keep the older versions going indefinitely, we will give
      you a reasonable amount of time to upgrade, test, and redeploy.

      Stay tuned.
      73
      - -brian W3SG
    • C Schuman
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011
        Brian,
        Give me a day or two and I can provide a script to upgrade the current
        installation.
        I have promised to complete the upgrade of RMSGate on FPAC network
        within 24 hours.

        <<Charley>>
        k4gbb

      • Brian R. Eckert - W3SG
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2011

          Hi Charley!

          We can give you more time than that to work out what you need to do. The idea is to do it as quickly as *practical* without undue stress for anyone. The nice thing is that we're rid of libwl2k...

          :-) :-) :-)

          ... which has to now really been a (albeit necessary) pain for us for multiple reasons. We just don't want to spend months with the old versions still active after the release.

          73
          - -brian W3SG

          On 11/28/2011 06:02 PM, C Schuman wrote:

          > Brian,
          > Give me a day or two and I can provide a script to upgrade the current
          > installation.
          > I have promised to complete the upgrade of RMSGate on FPAC network
          > within 24 hours.
          >
          > <<Charley>>
          > k4gbb
          >
          > Brian R. Eckert - W3SG wrote:
          > Hi Everyone!
          >
          > It's been a while since we've had any upgrades but we want to give you
          > advance notice of an important update that is coming.
          >
          > There are some significant internal changes which will require *all*
          > gateways to update as quickly as practical after we make the release.
          > Older versions of the gateway will cease to function at some point after
          > the new gateway is released. An exact date is not set yet.
          >
          > Hans and I are in the process of finalizing a few details and preparing
          > to test, but the aside from getting and installing the new code, here
          > are some things I can say for certain:
          > * libwl2k is gone -- it has been superseded by new functionality and
          > eliminates any object code only components; this will make several folks
          > very happy who want to put the gateway on some other embedded, low-power
          > systems but have been prevented from doing so because of my inability to
          > find enough time and energy to get it cross compiled for the other platforms
          > * the new CMS host table will be included (it was previously done as a
          > single file uploaded to the files area)
          > * the registration process to obtain a KEYCODE is no longer necessary
          > * some elements will be dropped from the configuration file, but we will
          > try not to break current configurations.
          >
          > There are no new features in this release, and work which I had in
          > flight seems to be significantly affected.
          >
          > We know some of you have put a lot of work into your gateway setups, so
          > while we can't keep the older versions going indefinitely, we will give
          > you a reasonable amount of time to upgrade, test, and redeploy.
          >
          > Stay tuned.
          > 73
          > -brian W3SG

        • Hans
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
            Charley, all!

            Brian has uploaded the new release.
            It was a very long night for Brian, but the final version now really shows the latest version number :-)
            Thanks Brian, have a good night!
            We did several tests before and everything works fine here at my 2 gateways since a few days.

            There should be no need to change any installation procedure.
            If you update from a 2.0.x version there is no change neccessary in the configuration files.

            It works like before, just 'make', 'make install', use the defaults to answer the questions for file replacements and you are done.

            However, there are some configuration parameters which are no longer needed.
            So if you want to clean up your configuration you may delete 3 lines from the main configuration file (default /etc/rmsgw/rmsgw.conf):

            RMSKEYCODE
            RMSPASSWORD
            ACIAUTHFILE

            The file configured in ACIAUTHFILE (default /etc/rmsgw/aci.auth) may also be deleted.

            But as I said, you don't really need to do that!
            The parameters are ignored by the new version.

            After the update and your first scheduled run of rmsgw_aci you should finally find the new version number here:
            http://www.winlink.org/RMSpacketStatus

            With this new version you will also find HF-gateways here again:
            http://www.winlink.org/RMSHFStatus
            This did not work any longer with 2.0.3 and versions before after introducing a new structure for version numbers to the Winlink web system.

            If there should be any issue please let us know here.

            Have fun!

            73 de Hans, DL5DI

            --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, C Schuman <k4gbb1@...> wrote:

            > Brian,
            > Give me a day or two and I can provide a script to upgrade the current
            > installation.
            > I have promised to complete the upgrade of RMSGate on FPAC network
            > within 24 hours.
            >
            > <<Charley>>
            > k4gbb
          • Hans
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
              There is even 1 line more in the config that you may delete:
              AUTHFILE

              and with that also the named file (default /etc/rms.auth)

              --- In LinuxRMS@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <dl5di@...> wrote:

              > Charley, all!
              >
              > Brian has uploaded the new release.
              > It was a very long night for Brian, but the final version now really shows the latest version number :-)
              > Thanks Brian, have a good night!
              > We did several tests before and everything works fine here at my 2 gateways since a few days.
              >
              > There should be no need to change any installation procedure.
              > If you update from a 2.0.x version there is no change neccessary in the configuration files.
              >
              > It works like before, just 'make', 'make install', use the defaults to answer the questions for file replacements and you are done.
              >

              > However, there are some configuration parameters which are no longer needed.
              > So if you want to clean up your configuration you may delete 3 lines from the main configuration file (default /etc/rmsgw/rmsgw.conf):
              >
              > RMSKEYCODE
              > RMSPASSWORD
              > ACIAUTHFILE
              >
              > The file configured in ACIAUTHFILE (default /etc/rmsgw/aci.auth) may also be deleted.
              >
              > But as I said, you don't really need to do that!
              > The parameters are ignored by the new version.
              >
              > After the update and your first scheduled run of rmsgw_aci you should finally find the new version number here:
              > http://www.winlink.org/RMSpacketStatus
              >
              > With this new version you will also find HF-gateways here again:
              > http://www.winlink.org/RMSHFStatus
              > This did not work any longer with 2.0.3 and versions before after introducing a new structure for version numbers to the Winlink web system.
              >
              > If there should be any issue please let us know here.
              >
              > Have fun!
              >
              > 73 de Hans, DL5DI

            • recyclecp
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
                I have a couple of questions about this.

                First, will I need to make any changes to the underlying AX25 stuff. Doesn't sound like it but I just want to be sure.

                Second, What is changing that requires and upgrade? I'm curious if it is protocol changes, CMS changes or what. I'm on version rmsgw-2.0.2-111 and I'm sure that's not the latest by a lot but it continues to work without any problems. I'm not against updating as a general rule but I'm also a believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

                Thanks

                Cliff

              • Bob Scanferla
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
                  there should be an ax25d config file

                  mine is in /etc/ax25

                  you will need to add something like this to the file

                  [Callsign-5 VIA ax0]
                  NOCALL  * * * * * *  L
                  NOCALL  * * * * * *  L
                  default * * * * * *  - rmsgw /usr/local/bin/rmsgw rmsgw -l debug -P %d %U

                  Again it may depend on how your node is configured ......I am running URONODE

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
                    Cliff,
                    There is no need for changes other than in tge RMS Gate package.
                    It is a straight forward recompile of the Binaries and replacement of
                    the docs and help files. The main reason for upgrading is changes at
                    the CMS.

                    <<Charley>>
                    k4gbb

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
                      Cliff,
                      you already got some information on the technical questions.
                      The upgrade is really easy, don't worry.

                      The Winlink team will give everybody enough time to upgrade, but finally you will have to do it.
                      Basically it is not a change of the protocol to the CMS.
                      The old software version used 2 independent communications. Beside the CMS communication we connected a central database server which will no longer be available in future.
                      Based on that the old software will not get access to the network in future because it still tries to check this database.
                      On the other side things will become much easier for us.
                      We won't need the crypted library which was used to authenticate when connecting to that database.

                      > "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
                      Yes, but if you know that it will break, be proactive.

                      Be assured, it will break!

                      73 de

                      Hans, DL5DI