Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: USB storage slowed down on purpose?

  • Rick Flower
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 14, 2004
      Nope.. The kernel is where that offending line of code is.. I just
      disabled it last night (but haven't had a chance to
      build a new kernel yet)

      -- Rick

      On Oct 14, 2004, at 4:15 AM, mphoust2 wrote:

      > Is there any other way to disable this CPU-hog without a new kernal?
      > I just don't think I want to replace the kernal right now :).
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
      > <jronald@c...> wrote:
      >> Derek,
      >>
      >> Cool, good work! Keep us posted or even post a rough how-to in the
      > files
      >> section until we get something better setup. I just ordered a 250GB
      >> DriveStation to use with my Linkstation today so I'm interested.
      > Although,
      >> I'm probably going swap the 120GB in my LinkStation for the 250GB
      > drive in
      >> the DriveStation first.
      >>
      >> JR

      >>> US_DEBUGP("usb_stor_transfer_partial(): transfer
      >>> complete\n");
      >>> printk(KERN_DEBUG USB_STORAGE "task-switchin\n");
      >>> return US_BULK_TRANSFER_GOOD;
      >>> }
      >>>
      >>> That printk sucks up a lot of cpu...
      >>>
      >>> Derek
      >>>

      >>> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>

      > yesterday, and

      > output
      >>> "switchin").

      > see if

      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • tad94564
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
        wrote:

        > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive yesterday,
        and
        > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of cpu
        > (40-ish percent).
        >
        > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
        > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood of
        output
        > while the external device is being accessed (something about
        "switchin").

        > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so I'll see
        if
        > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...

        After suffering from this problem last night, I found one possible
        cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one is
        HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this problem.
        Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem that is
        not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.

        Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop it
        either.

        To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
        installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file, untar
        the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
        transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in my
        sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and then
        install.. and pray that it comes back.

        thomas
      • Rick Flower
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
          I've already done this on my updated kernel with no ill effects yet..
          Of course, I've not actually tried using the USB yet, so I can't really
          vouch for whether or not my changes solve the problem or not.

          -- Rick

          On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive yesterday,
          > and
          > > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of cpu
          > > (40-ish percent).
          > >
          > > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
          > > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood of
          > output
          > > while the external device is being accessed (something about
          > "switchin").
          > >
          > > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so I'll see
          > if
          > > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...
          > >

          > After suffering from this problem last night, I found one possible
          > cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one is
          > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this problem.
          > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem that is
          > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
          >
          > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop it
          > either.
          >
          > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
          > installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file, untar
          > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
          > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in my
          > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and then
          > install.. and pray that it comes back.
          >
          > thomas
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • tad94564
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
            It's probably still in there if your kernel is based on the
            HD-LAN_GPL source.

            I've recieved word this fix will be in the next firmware release,
            which is supposed to be RSN.

            thomas

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
            wrote:

            > I've already done this on my updated kernel with no ill effects
            yet..
            > Of course, I've not actually tried using the USB yet, so I can't
            really
            > vouch for whether or not my changes solve the problem or not.
            >
            > -- Rick
            >

            > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:
            >

            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001"
            <taubert@g...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >

            > > > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive
            yesterday,
            > > and
            > > > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of
            cpu
            > > > (40-ish percent).
            > > >
            > > > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
            > > > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood
            of
            > > output
            > > > while the external device is being accessed (something about
            > > "switchin").
            > > >
            > > > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so
            I'll see
            > > if
            > > > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...
            > > >

            > > After suffering from this problem last night, I found one
            possible
            > > cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one
            is
            > > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this
            problem.
            > > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem
            that is
            > > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
            > >
            > > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop
            it
            > > either.
            > >
            > > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
            > > installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file,
            untar
            > > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
            > > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in
            my
            > > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and
            then
            > > install.. and pray that it comes back.
            > >
            > > thomas
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James Ronald
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
              What does RSN stand for?

              > It's probably still in there if your kernel is
              > based on the
              > HD-LAN_GPL source.
              >
              > I've recieved word this fix will be in the next
              > firmware release,
              > which is supposed to be RSN.
              >
              > thomas
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick
              > Flower <rickf@c...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> I've already done this on my updated kernel
              >> with no ill effects
              > yet..
              >> Of course, I've not actually tried using the
              >> USB yet, so I can't
              > really
              >> vouch for whether or not my changes solve the
              >> problem or not.
              >>
              >> -- Rick
              >>

              >> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:
              >>

              >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
              >> > "dtaub001"
              > <taubert@g...>

              > yesterday,
              >> > and
              > cpu

              > of
              >> > output
              >> > "switchin").

              > I'll see
              >> > if
              >> > >

              >> > After suffering from this problem last night,
              >> > I found one
              > possible
              >> > cause of the poor performance. There may be
              >> > more, but this one
              > is
              >> > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel
              >> > will not fix this
              > problem.
              >> > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the
              >> > usb-storage subsystem
              > that is
              >> > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
              >> >
              >> > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher
              >> > value doesn't stop
              > it
              >> > either.
              >> >
              >> > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL
              >> > source, along with
              >> > installation of the kuro box stuff, break
              >> > apart the zip file,
              > untar
              >> > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage,
              >> > edit the file
              >> > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch',
              >> > around line 531 in
              > my
              >> > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new
              >> > kernel/ramdisk, and
              > then
              >> > install.. and pray that it comes back.
              >> >
              >> > thomas
            • Rick Flower
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                Unless there was another issue of the same type, that problem should
                be solved in my kernel.. I went in and removed the kprintf call or
                whatever it was. As for the kernel update, I'll probably not be doing
                any firmware updates anymore since my system isn't exactly stock anymore.

              • Roy M. Silvernail
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                  On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 15:25 -0400, James Ronald wrote:
                  > What does RSN stand for?

                  Real Soon Now. Not sure of the origin. I think I first saw it in
                  Pournelle's Byte column.
                  --
                  Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                  "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2005
                    This issue does appear to be fixed with firmware 1.45. Yay!

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "tad94564" <tdavis@b...>