Re: [LinkStation_General] Linkstation Modification Questions

  • Jeroen van der Zijp
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2005
      On Tuesday 11 January 2005 04:10 pm, xxurbanfirexx wrote:

      > Hey i got the 160GB linkstation this week to use as file storage. By
      > reading these posts here and browsing the net (after discoverign
      > telnet was open, but root password was not something i could have) i
      > have found a bunch of cool new information about modification to the
      > linkstation. I have a couple of questions since i am new so if you can
      > help me please respond back.
      >
      > 1) From what i can tell the operating system sits on a partition on
      > the HDD and defaults to loading this HDD partion at boot unless
      > something dosent work/is currupt in which it loads an "Emergency"
      > version of some flash chips. Is this correct and if it is how big is
      > the HDD partition / with how much free space?
      >
      > 2) Any modifications done to it (i did the root mod) gets saved to the
      > hard drive partition and not the flash one unless specifically done
      > right? When does anything if ever get written to the flash version? Is
      > there a way to force (ie: some button combinations, restarting it some
      > sequence) "Emergency" mode without opening it just incase the hard
      > drive partion operating system gets screwed, or will it auto detect it
      > not working and load it?
      >
      > 3) Reflashing the firmware as far as i can tell deletes the hard drive
      > operating system and reinstalls it, leaving the "Emergency" one still
      > there just incase the firmware upgrade goes wrong. Does the firmware
      > upgrade also delete and reinstall the flash one also?
      >
      > 4) Is there some tutorial on taking apart the linkstation? Ive read
      > that theres some screwed up screw(s) to prevent taking it apart cleanly?

      The kurobox site has instructions. The LinkStation is a bit more difficult:-
      two little screws hidden right under the mirror front. With careful
      wiggling you can get them pop out of the plastic w/o damage to the front;
      needless to say, this voids warranty....

      There is also one screw on the back under the sticker below the fan.

      - Jeroen