Re: Slimserver 5.3.1

  • Thom Mason
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
      I just untarred in /
      I think it is exactly the same as the perl distribution that came
      with the LinkStation (except that it has a more complete set of
      modules) so I don't think it matters whether you overwrite or not.
      In my case I move the /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 directory containing the
      perl modules to /usr/share/perl/old.5.6.1 and then untarred allowing
      overwrite. Then, once I verified the LinkStation web interface
      still worked properly (it uses perl) I removed the old.5.6.1
      directory. I then downloaded the tarball of Slimserver and ran
      Slimserve.pl from the commandline. In the end I decided I like mt-
      daapd better for serving mp3 to my Soundbridge.

      Thom
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mphoust2"
      <buffalo247@b...> wrote:

      > When installing the perl binaries from the kuro_box binary.zip, dod
      > you need to do anything besides un-tar them? If I un-tar it with
      > no-overwrite, which that get all of the libraries slimserver needs?
      >
      > Thanks for any comments...
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
      > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Using the full perl 5.6 on the kurobox binary distribution it is
      > > possible to run Slimserver 5.3.1 on the Linkstation. It is
      fairly
      > > slow indexing but generally seems to run OK. It was using about
      30%
      > > of the memory with a 2500 song library.
      > >
      > > Thom
    • gameon152001
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
        <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

        > [snip}
        > In the end I decided I like mt-
        > daapd better for serving mp3 to my Soundbridge.
        >
        > Thom
        > [endsnip]

        Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting up mt-
        daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an Apple
        Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for a
        mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
        haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out; but
        it sounds like you have... :-)

        TIA,
        Dick White
      • Thom Mason
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
          If someone can verify this works OK (it is from memory so I may have
          left soemthing out) I'll tidy it up and post it in the files area.

          mt-daapd on the Linkstation mini-howto:

          untar the Kurobox binaries need for compiling etc. You can download
          them from www.revogear.com. I put them in /mnt/opt/binary and made
          a symlink of /opt to /mnt/opt so as not to fill up the root
          partition too much. The packages you need are all those related to
          programming:

          autoconf
          automake
          binutils
          bison
          flex
          g++
          gcc
          gdb
          glibc
          libgdbm (this library is called by mt-daapd)
          libstdc
          m4
          make
          textutils

          deflate (gzip -d file.tar.gz) and then untar from / (tar
          xvf /opt/binary file.tar) each one

          Now you should be able to compile, install, etc...

          Get zlib from http://freshmeat.net/redir/zlib/12352/url_tgz/zlib-
          1.2.1.tar.gz

          untar in /opt and change to /opt/zlib-1.2.1 then do:

          ./configure
          make install

          Get libid3tag from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
          group_id=12349

          untar in /opt and change to /opt/libid3tag-0.15b then do:

          ./configure
          make install

          I used the Oct 10 nightly tarball of mt-daapd which works well with
          my Soundbridge from http://www.pedde.com/mt-daapd

          untar in /opt and change to /opt/mt-daapd-cvs-20041010

          ./configure --enable-browse --enable-query --with-id3tag=/usr/local
          make install

          cd to /opt/mt-daapd-cvs-20041010/contrib and edit mt-daapd.conf to
          customize to your mp3 directory. I also change db_dir to /opt/mt-
          daapd since /var is a ramdisk. I copied the admin-root directory
          from /usr/local/share/mt-daapd to /opt/mt-daapd and changed web-root
          in mt-daapd.conf. You can do the same with the playlist file. copy
          mt-daapd.conf to /etc.

          The startup script was borrowed from the nslu2 folks:

          mt-daapd startup script in /etc/init.d:
          #!/bin/sh

          # make sure our shared libraries are in the path.
          export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

          if [ -n "`pidof mt-daapd`" ] ; then
          killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
          fi

          sleep 2
          /usr/local/sbin/mt-daapd 2>/dev/null

          This will get it up and running, once it's scanned the library the
          web interface should be up at:

          http://buffalo:3689

          If you do

          ps -aux | grep mt-daapd

          you should see about six instances of the daemon.

          If there are problems check the log in /var/log/mt-daapd.log, if you
          enabled it in mt-daapd.conf (run in debug mode to get more verbose
          output)
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gameon152001"
          <gameon152001@y...> wrote:

          > Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting up
          mt-
          > daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an
          Apple
          > Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for a
          > mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
          > haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out; but
          > it sounds like you have... :-)
          >
          > TIA,
          > Dick White
        • sneed_siding
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
            <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

            > If someone can verify this works OK (it is from memory so I may
            have
            > left soemthing out) I'll tidy it up and post it in the files area.

            Thanks Thom. This worked great for me. The only thing I
            had to add was a link in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d (?) to start
            the daemon automatically on reboots.

            -Scott-
          • richone52
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 11, 2004
              Hi Tom

              I have tried to set up the linkstation but am kind of a newbie to
              this. Can you also provide me the command string for the symlink
              commands? I place my files and untared them to /mnt/opt and have
              new directories under /mnt/opt called bin, etc,lib,sbin,usr

              I created a new directory at root called /opt

              I download and untared zlib-1.2.1 and when into the directory and
              tried the ./configure and got many errors. (Most likely because of
              no symlink command.

              I know I don't know much but am trying to learn linux on the fly.

              Sorry for the stupid questions but any step by step help would be
              greatly appreciated. I want to eventually get byrequest loaded on
              the system and see if it can be a tivo server.

              Rich

              <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > If you do
              >
              > ps -aux | grep mt-daapd
              >
              > you should see about six instances of the daemon.
              >
              > If there are problems check the log in /var/log/mt-daapd.log, if
              you
              > enabled it in mt-daapd.conf (run in debug mode to get more verbose
              > output)
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gameon152001"
              > <gameon152001@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting
              up
              > mt-
              > > daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an
              > Apple
              > > Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for
              > > mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
              > > haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out;

            • Thom Mason
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2004
                A symlink is like a shortcut in windows - it doesn't make a
                duplicate of the file - just a pointer to it. The syntax is

                ln -s /existing/file/name /new/symlink

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "richone52"

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 12, 2004
                  In /sbin is a program called mfdisk. I assumed it
                  worked like the i386 Linux "fdisk" program. Instead
                  it deleted the partition table and re-created only
                  partition 1 & 2, leaving the large partition 3 entry
                  empty, all without any warning or prompting.

                  In my case, with my Debian running happily on the
                  linkstation running simultaneously, I was able to hop
                  over to it and apt-get "testdisk" which is a partition
                  rescue utility, and get it back. Most people wouldn't
                  have this luxury, so beware.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com