Re: Slimserver 5.3.1

  • mphoust2
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
      When installing the perl binaries from the kuro_box binary.zip, dod
      you need to do anything besides un-tar them? If I un-tar it with
      no-overwrite, which that get all of the libraries slimserver needs?

      Thanks for any comments...

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
      <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

      > Using the full perl 5.6 on the kurobox binary distribution it is
      > possible to run Slimserver 5.3.1 on the Linkstation. It is fairly
      > slow indexing but generally seems to run OK. It was using about 30%
      > of the memory with a 2500 song library.
      >
      > Thom
    • Thom Mason
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
        I just untarred in /
        I think it is exactly the same as the perl distribution that came
        with the LinkStation (except that it has a more complete set of
        modules) so I don't think it matters whether you overwrite or not.
        In my case I move the /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 directory containing the
        perl modules to /usr/share/perl/old.5.6.1 and then untarred allowing
        overwrite. Then, once I verified the LinkStation web interface
        still worked properly (it uses perl) I removed the old.5.6.1
        directory. I then downloaded the tarball of Slimserver and ran
        Slimserve.pl from the commandline. In the end I decided I like mt-
        daapd better for serving mp3 to my Soundbridge.

        Thom
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mphoust2"
        <buffalo247@b...> wrote:

        > When installing the perl binaries from the kuro_box binary.zip, dod
        > you need to do anything besides un-tar them? If I un-tar it with
        > no-overwrite, which that get all of the libraries slimserver needs?
        >
        > Thanks for any comments...
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
        > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Using the full perl 5.6 on the kurobox binary distribution it is
        > > possible to run Slimserver 5.3.1 on the Linkstation. It is
        fairly
        > > slow indexing but generally seems to run OK. It was using about
        30%
        > > of the memory with a 2500 song library.
        > >
        > > Thom
      • gameon152001
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
          <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

          > [snip}
          > In the end I decided I like mt-
          > daapd better for serving mp3 to my Soundbridge.
          >
          > Thom
          > [endsnip]

          Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting up mt-
          daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an Apple
          Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for a
          mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
          haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out; but
          it sounds like you have... :-)

          TIA,
          Dick White
        • Thom Mason
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
            If someone can verify this works OK (it is from memory so I may have
            left soemthing out) I'll tidy it up and post it in the files area.

            mt-daapd on the Linkstation mini-howto:

            untar the Kurobox binaries need for compiling etc. You can download
            them from www.revogear.com. I put them in /mnt/opt/binary and made
            a symlink of /opt to /mnt/opt so as not to fill up the root
            partition too much. The packages you need are all those related to
            programming:

            autoconf
            automake
            binutils
            bison
            flex
            g++
            gcc
            gdb
            glibc
            libgdbm (this library is called by mt-daapd)
            libstdc
            m4
            make
            textutils

            deflate (gzip -d file.tar.gz) and then untar from / (tar
            xvf /opt/binary file.tar) each one

            Now you should be able to compile, install, etc...

            Get zlib from http://freshmeat.net/redir/zlib/12352/url_tgz/zlib-
            1.2.1.tar.gz

            untar in /opt and change to /opt/zlib-1.2.1 then do:

            ./configure
            make install

            Get libid3tag from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
            group_id=12349

            untar in /opt and change to /opt/libid3tag-0.15b then do:

            ./configure
            make install

            I used the Oct 10 nightly tarball of mt-daapd which works well with
            my Soundbridge from http://www.pedde.com/mt-daapd

            untar in /opt and change to /opt/mt-daapd-cvs-20041010

            ./configure --enable-browse --enable-query --with-id3tag=/usr/local
            make install

            cd to /opt/mt-daapd-cvs-20041010/contrib and edit mt-daapd.conf to
            customize to your mp3 directory. I also change db_dir to /opt/mt-
            daapd since /var is a ramdisk. I copied the admin-root directory
            from /usr/local/share/mt-daapd to /opt/mt-daapd and changed web-root
            in mt-daapd.conf. You can do the same with the playlist file. copy
            mt-daapd.conf to /etc.

            The startup script was borrowed from the nslu2 folks:

            mt-daapd startup script in /etc/init.d:
            #!/bin/sh

            # make sure our shared libraries are in the path.
            export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

            if [ -n "`pidof mt-daapd`" ] ; then
            killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
            fi

            sleep 2
            /usr/local/sbin/mt-daapd 2>/dev/null

            This will get it up and running, once it's scanned the library the
            web interface should be up at:

            http://buffalo:3689

            If you do

            ps -aux | grep mt-daapd

            you should see about six instances of the daemon.

            If there are problems check the log in /var/log/mt-daapd.log, if you
            enabled it in mt-daapd.conf (run in debug mode to get more verbose
            output)
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gameon152001"
            <gameon152001@y...> wrote:

            > Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting up
            mt-
            > daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an
            Apple
            > Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for a
            > mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
            > haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out; but
            > it sounds like you have... :-)
            >
            > TIA,
            > Dick White
          • sneed_siding
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
              <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

              > If someone can verify this works OK (it is from memory so I may
              have
              > left soemthing out) I'll tidy it up and post it in the files area.

              Thanks Thom. This worked great for me. The only thing I
              had to add was a link in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d (?) to start
              the daemon automatically on reboots.

              -Scott-
            • richone52
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2004
                Hi Tom

                I have tried to set up the linkstation but am kind of a newbie to
                this. Can you also provide me the command string for the symlink
                commands? I place my files and untared them to /mnt/opt and have
                new directories under /mnt/opt called bin, etc,lib,sbin,usr

                I created a new directory at root called /opt

                I download and untared zlib-1.2.1 and when into the directory and
                tried the ./configure and got many errors. (Most likely because of
                no symlink command.

                I know I don't know much but am trying to learn linux on the fly.

                Sorry for the stupid questions but any step by step help would be
                greatly appreciated. I want to eventually get byrequest loaded on
                the system and see if it can be a tivo server.

                Rich

                <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > If you do
                >
                > ps -aux | grep mt-daapd
                >
                > you should see about six instances of the daemon.
                >
                > If there are problems check the log in /var/log/mt-daapd.log, if
                you
                > enabled it in mt-daapd.conf (run in debug mode to get more verbose
                > output)
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gameon152001"
                > <gameon152001@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting
                up
                > mt-
                > > daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an
                > Apple
                > > Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for
                > > mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
                > > haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out;

              • Thom Mason
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 11, 2004
                  A symlink is like a shortcut in windows - it doesn't make a
                  duplicate of the file - just a pointer to it. The syntax is

                  ln -s /existing/file/name /new/symlink

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "richone52"

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 12, 2004
                    In /sbin is a program called mfdisk. I assumed it
                    worked like the i386 Linux "fdisk" program. Instead
                    it deleted the partition table and re-created only
                    partition 1 & 2, leaving the large partition 3 entry
                    empty, all without any warning or prompting.

                    In my case, with my Debian running happily on the
                    linkstation running simultaneously, I was able to hop
                    over to it and apt-get "testdisk" which is a partition
                    rescue utility, and get it back. Most people wouldn't
                    have this luxury, so beware.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com