Re: [LinkStation_General] Downgradeing Firmware.. is it wise?

  • Jeroen van der Zijp
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8, 2005
      On Sunday 09 January 2005 03:07 am, Cornel Babel wrote:

      > Hi Jereon,
      >
      > what happens to the files on your LS, as you installed the
      > KuroBox-Frimware? I mean, are the files in the /mnt-directory still there?
      >
      > Thanks Cornel

      Actually I did this before really putting any stuff on it. After I loaded
      the new firmware and image, I restarted the whole box in EM mode. This
      runs completely from a RAM disk.

      But to answer your question: I think the hard drive is left alone up till
      that point.

      The firmware I used is: kuro_102.zip from revogear.com.

      I repartitioned the hard disk, giving it a royal amount of space on / and
      some more swap space.

      Use :

      mfdisk -c /dev/hda

      This brings up the interactive mode of something that is remarkably similar
      to Linux fdisk.

      Mount the / partition and then unzip the image.zip and untar the contents into
      /. Grab binary.zip and do the same [since unzip is missing, unzip on your
      other machine and bring the tarballs to the LS].

      Use "write_ok" to tell the firmware that the next boot should boot from harddisk
      rather than into ramdisk.

      Now, you have a minimal linux system. The binary.zip file contains GCC and Linux
      build tools so you can compile basically anything you need. I suggest to
      grab coreutils, unzip, bzip2, and compile these as well as those key utilities for
      building software are missing.

      I still use the box for NAS right now, but at least it runs NFS as well as SMB;
      I think they should have sold it with NFS turned on, IMHO.

      - Jeroen