Re: USB storage slowed down on purpose?

  • mphoust2
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 14, 2004
      Is there any other way to disable this CPU-hog without a new kernal?
      I just don't think I want to replace the kernal right now :).

      <jronald@c...> wrote:
      > Derek,
      >
      > Cool, good work! Keep us posted or even post a rough how-to in the
      files
      > section until we get something better setup. I just ordered a 250GB
      > DriveStation to use with my Linkstation today so I'm interested.
      Although,
      > I'm probably going swap the 120GB in my LinkStation for the 250GB
      drive in
      > the DriveStation first.
      >
      > JR

    • Rick Flower
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 14, 2004
        Nope.. The kernel is where that offending line of code is.. I just
        disabled it last night (but haven't had a chance to
        build a new kernel yet)

        -- Rick

        On Oct 14, 2004, at 4:15 AM, mphoust2 wrote:

        > Is there any other way to disable this CPU-hog without a new kernal?
        > I just don't think I want to replace the kernal right now :).
        >

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
        > <jronald@c...> wrote:
        >> Derek,
        >>
        >> Cool, good work! Keep us posted or even post a rough how-to in the
        > files
        >> section until we get something better setup. I just ordered a 250GB
        >> DriveStation to use with my Linkstation today so I'm interested.
        > Although,
        >> I'm probably going swap the 120GB in my LinkStation for the 250GB
        > drive in
        >> the DriveStation first.
        >>
        >> JR

      • tad94564
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
          wrote:

          > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive yesterday,
          and
          > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of cpu
          > (40-ish percent).
          >
          > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
          > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood of
          output
          > while the external device is being accessed (something about
          "switchin").

          > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so I'll see
          if
          > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...

          After suffering from this problem last night, I found one possible
          cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one is
          HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this problem.
          Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem that is
          not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.

          Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop it
          either.

          To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
          installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file, untar
          the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
          transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in my
          sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and then
          install.. and pray that it comes back.

          thomas
        • Rick Flower
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
            I've already done this on my updated kernel with no ill effects yet..
            Of course, I've not actually tried using the USB yet, so I can't really
            vouch for whether or not my changes solve the problem or not.

            -- Rick

            On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001" <taubert@g...>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive yesterday,
            > and
            > > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of cpu
            > > (40-ish percent).
            > >
            > > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
            > > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood of
            > output
            > > while the external device is being accessed (something about
            > "switchin").
            > >
            > > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so I'll see
            > if
            > > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...
            > >

            > After suffering from this problem last night, I found one possible
            > cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one is
            > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this problem.
            > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem that is
            > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
            >
            > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop it
            > either.
            >
            > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
            > installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file, untar
            > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
            > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in my
            > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and then
            > install.. and pray that it comes back.
            >
            > thomas
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • tad94564
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
              It's probably still in there if your kernel is based on the
              HD-LAN_GPL source.

              I've recieved word this fix will be in the next firmware release,
              which is supposed to be RSN.

              thomas

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
              wrote:

              > I've already done this on my updated kernel with no ill effects
              yet..
              > Of course, I've not actually tried using the USB yet, so I can't
              really
              > vouch for whether or not my changes solve the problem or not.
              >
              > -- Rick
              >

              > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:
              >

              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dtaub001"
              <taubert@g...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I was moving some big files to an external 250GB drive
              yesterday,
              > > and
              > > > noticed that klogd and syslogd were taking up a fair amount of
              cpu
              > > > (40-ish percent).
              > > >
              > > > It looks like some debug messages were left in or put into the
              > > > usb-storage driver. A "cat /proc/kmsg" will produce a flood
              of
              > > output
              > > > while the external device is being accessed (something about
              > > "switchin").
              > > >
              > > > This driver is compiled into the kernel (not loadable), so
              I'll see
              > > if
              > > > I can get a new kernel compiled with the kurobox tools...
              > > >

              > > After suffering from this problem last night, I found one
              possible
              > > cause of the poor performance. There may be more, but this one
              is
              > > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel will not fix this
              problem.
              > > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the usb-storage subsystem
              that is
              > > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
              > >
              > > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher value doesn't stop
              it
              > > either.
              > >
              > > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL source, along with
              > > installation of the kuro box stuff, break apart the zip file,
              untar
              > > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage, edit the file
              > > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch', around line 531 in
              my
              > > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new kernel/ramdisk, and
              then
              > > install.. and pray that it comes back.
              > >
              > > thomas
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • James Ronald
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                What does RSN stand for?

                > It's probably still in there if your kernel is
                > based on the
                > HD-LAN_GPL source.
                >
                > I've recieved word this fix will be in the next
                > firmware release,
                > which is supposed to be RSN.
                >
                > thomas
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick
                > Flower <rickf@c...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> I've already done this on my updated kernel
                >> with no ill effects
                > yet..
                >> Of course, I've not actually tried using the
                >> USB yet, so I can't
                > really
                >> vouch for whether or not my changes solve the
                >> problem or not.
                >>
                >> -- Rick
                >>

                >> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, tad94564 wrote:
                >>

                >> > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com,
                >> > "dtaub001"
                > <taubert@g...>

                > yesterday,
                >> > and
                > cpu

                > of
                >> > output
                >> > "switchin").

                > I'll see
                >> > if
                >> > >

                >> > After suffering from this problem last night,
                >> > I found one
                > possible
                >> > cause of the poor performance. There may be
                >> > more, but this one
                > is
                >> > HUGE. Too bad just compiling a new kernel
                >> > will not fix this
                > problem.
                >> > Someone added a hardcoded printk to the
                >> > usb-storage subsystem
                > that is
                >> > not in the kernel-2.4 sources I have.
                >> >
                >> > Setting /proc/sys/kernel/printk to a higher
                >> > value doesn't stop
                > it
                >> > either.
                >> >
                >> > To fix this, you have to get the HD-LAN_GPL
                >> > source, along with
                >> > installation of the kuro box stuff, break
                >> > apart the zip file,
                > untar
                >> > the kernel source, goto drivers/usb/storage,
                >> > edit the file
                >> > transport.c (do a search for 'task-switch',
                >> > around line 531 in
                > my
                >> > sources), and DELETE that line, build a new
                >> > kernel/ramdisk, and
                > then
                >> > install.. and pray that it comes back.
                >> >
                >> > thomas
              • Rick Flower
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                  Unless there was another issue of the same type, that problem should
                  be solved in my kernel.. I went in and removed the kprintf call or
                  whatever it was. As for the kernel update, I'll probably not be doing
                  any firmware updates anymore since my system isn't exactly stock anymore.

                • Roy M. Silvernail
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 29, 2004
                    On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 15:25 -0400, James Ronald wrote:
                    > What does RSN stand for?

                    Real Soon Now. Not sure of the origin. I think I first saw it in
                    Pournelle's Byte column.
                    --
                    Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
                    "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 2, 2005
                      This issue does appear to be fixed with firmware 1.45. Yay!

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "tad94564" <tdavis@b...>