Re: [LinkStation_General] Downgradeing Firmware.. is it wise?

  • Jeroen van der Zijp
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2005
      On Saturday 08 January 2005 05:04 pm, Paul Milligan (home) wrote:
      > I've analysed the various firmware versions. Since 1.44 the Linux kernel has definitely not changed; so "downgrading" to 1.45_13 should really do no harm. Buffalo are obviously eager to prevent linkstation owners improving their systems. I have a copy of the 1.45_13 firmware you can have, it's just about how I can get it to you. If you are really interested, I can post it on a website temporarily.
      >
      > Regards

      I flashed mine with the KuroBox firmware. This has the advantage that
      no work-around is needed anymore if you ever have to revert to EM-mode;
      you can just log in as user: root password: kuro after that.

      Instructions to do this are on the http://www.revogear.com forums.

      P.S.

      One nastiness I still suffer is that /etc/hosts and /etc/resolve.conf
      is reset every time I reboot. Anyone know how to prevent this elegantly?

      - Jeroen
    • Jeroen van der Zijp
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 8, 2005
        On Sunday 09 January 2005 03:07 am, Cornel Babel wrote:

        > Hi Jereon,
        >
        > what happens to the files on your LS, as you installed the
        > KuroBox-Frimware? I mean, are the files in the /mnt-directory still there?
        >
        > Thanks Cornel

        Actually I did this before really putting any stuff on it. After I loaded
        the new firmware and image, I restarted the whole box in EM mode. This
        runs completely from a RAM disk.

        But to answer your question: I think the hard drive is left alone up till
        that point.

        The firmware I used is: kuro_102.zip from revogear.com.

        I repartitioned the hard disk, giving it a royal amount of space on / and
        some more swap space.

        Use :

        mfdisk -c /dev/hda

        This brings up the interactive mode of something that is remarkably similar
        to Linux fdisk.

        Mount the / partition and then unzip the image.zip and untar the contents into
        /. Grab binary.zip and do the same [since unzip is missing, unzip on your
        other machine and bring the tarballs to the LS].

        Use "write_ok" to tell the firmware that the next boot should boot from harddisk
        rather than into ramdisk.

        Now, you have a minimal linux system. The binary.zip file contains GCC and Linux
        build tools so you can compile basically anything you need. I suggest to
        grab coreutils, unzip, bzip2, and compile these as well as those key utilities for
        building software are missing.

        I still use the box for NAS right now, but at least it runs NFS as well as SMB;
        I think they should have sold it with NFS turned on, IMHO.

        - Jeroen
      • Cornel Babel
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2005
          Hi Jereon,

          what happens to the files on your LS, as you installed the
          KuroBox-Frimware? I mean, are the files in the /mnt-directory still there?

          Thanks Cornel

        • jah_pix
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2005
            Jeroen van der Zijp <jeroen@...> writes:

            > On Saturday 08 January 2005 05:04 pm, Paul Milligan (home) wrote:
            > > I've analysed the various firmware versions. Since 1.44 the Linux kernel has
            definitely not changed; so
            > "downgrading" to 1.45_13 should really do no harm. Buffalo are obviously eager
            to prevent linkstation
            > owners improving their systems. I have a copy of the 1.45_13 firmware you can
            have, it's just about how I can
            > get it to you. If you are really interested, I can post it on a website
            temporarily.

            > > Regards

            I already have _13 AND the _14 versions with thanks to ppl in this group,
            thanks all the same.I wil try a downgrade an let yahll know how it goes on.
          • Andrew Hodgson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2005

              The partition which holds the data is never lost unless you screw up
              really bad (like alter the partition table). Since the Linkstation
              mounts this into the root partition, it looks as though it appears in
              /mnt/. I have upgraded/downgraded to several firmware versions (both in
              English and Japanese), and have had no issues. Each time the fw gets
              upgraded, the Kernel is reflashed (using the upgrade program), even
              though it is not necessary. At any other point, if the upgrade is
              interupted, it is recoverable, since the flash can look for an IP using
              DHCP and then you can do the fw update again (this is what I have
              found). However, if the upgrade gets disturbed during flashing, then
              you end up with dead unit.

              The other thing is the reset button on the back of unit, if this is held
              down for a few second, the root partition (including any settings) is
              completely destroyed and re-created. The data partition remains there
              unless you do a re-format.

              Personally I have no issues with the Buffalo firmwares, since they do
              what I need them to do. However, if you are going to start building
              your own apps, stop using this firmware asap, because you are locked
              into earlier versions with no telnet access. Once you have converted
              your Linkstation, then you are free to play around with it as much as
              you want, and have the benefits of user provided contribs/manufacturer's
              updates.

              Hth,
              Andrew.

              <jeroen@...>:

              > On Saturday 08 January 2005 05:04 pm, Paul Milligan (home) wrote:
              >> I've analysed the various firmware versions. Since 1.44 the Linux
              >> kernel has
              > definitely not changed; so "downgrading" to 1.45_13 should really do
              > no harm.
              > Buffalo are obviously eager to prevent linkstation owners improving
              > their systems. I have a copy of the 1.45_13 firmware you can have,
              > it's just about how I can get it to you. If you are really interested,

              > I can post it on a website temporarily.
              >>
              >> Regards

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • jah_pix
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
                <andrew@h...> wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > The partition which holds the data is never lost unless you screw up
                > really bad (like alter the partition table). Since the Linkstation
                > mounts this into the root partition, it looks as though it appears in
                > /mnt/. I have upgraded/downgraded to several firmware versions (both in
                > English and Japanese), and have had no issues. Each time the fw gets
                > upgraded, the Kernel is reflashed (using the upgrade program), even
                > though it is not necessary. At any other point, if the upgrade is
                > interupted, it is recoverable, since the flash can look for an IP using
                > DHCP and then you can do the fw update again (this is what I have
                > found). However, if the upgrade gets disturbed during flashing, then
                > you end up with dead unit.
                >
                > The other thing is the reset button on the back of unit, if this is held
                > down for a few second, the root partition (including any settings) is
                > completely destroyed and re-created. The data partition remains there
                > unless you do a re-format.
                >
                > Personally I have no issues with the Buffalo firmwares, since they do
                > what I need them to do. However, if you are going to start building
                > your own apps, stop using this firmware asap, because you are locked
                > into earlier versions with no telnet access. Once you have converted
                > your Linkstation, then you are free to play around with it as much as
                > you want, and have the benefits of user provided contribs/manufacturer's
                > updates.
                >
                > Hth,
                > Andrew.

                Great thanks! this info has kinda spurred me on a little bit ... i
                will probably be still sat in a reverant panic silence while the flash
                does it thing.. but thats jus me :D