Re: To Do List

  • Thom Mason
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
      Derek,

      What was involved in getting rpm up and running?

      Thom
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
      <taubert@g...> wrote:
      > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
      2.59.3
      > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
      seems to
      > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
      cross
      > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
      easily.

    • Derek Taubert
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
        I didn't run rpm on the box, as I knew the available packages would have
        incompatibilities. I picked out certain files with rpm2cpio | cpio -i and
        just copied them over.

        I'm almost done with a cross compiler, but I need some standard include
        files for the OS/platform. Wish they would have provided these in the GPL
        zip. Will try to pluck them out of a linux dist...

        Derek

        On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:32:10AM -0000, Thom Mason wrote:
        > Derek,
        >
        > What was involved in getting rpm up and running?
        >
        > Thom
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
        > <taubert@g...> wrote:
        > > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
        > 2.59.3
        > > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
        > seems to
        > > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
        > cross
        > > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
        > easily.
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Derek Taubert
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
          On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 06:58:15PM -0700, Derek Taubert wrote:

          > I didn't run rpm on the box, as I knew the available packages would have
          > incompatibilities. I picked out certain files with rpm2cpio | cpio -i and
          > just copied them over.
          >
          > I'm almost done with a cross compiler, but I need some standard include
          > files for the OS/platform. Wish they would have provided these in the GPL
          > zip. Will try to pluck them out of a linux dist...

          Err, looks like I can get them out of the glibc rpm from the GPL zip.
          Setting up a cross system to handle these GPL rpms is a bit of work. Lots
          of custom stuff in those spec files...

          Derek

          > Derek
          >

          > On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:32:10AM -0000, Thom Mason wrote:
          > > Derek,
          > >
          > > What was involved in getting rpm up and running?
          > >
          > > Thom
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
          > > <taubert@g...> wrote:
          > > > I've been working on 2/3. I picked up a new binutils and gcc-
          > > 2.59.3
          > > > (that's the version used to build the kernel, although Buffalo
          > > seems to
          > > > have used the MontaVista commercial toolset) and should have a
          > > cross
          > > > compiler working soon. I could roll a native compiler from this
          > > easily.
          > > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Matthew Flint
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
            <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
            > Here's a stab at things that might be worthwhile to explore:
            > 8) etc...
            >
            > Please chime in with ideas.

            - Kernel support for other USB devices, such as 802.11b/g adapters.

            - routing functions (so can be used as a cheap wireless router)

            - a WiKi hosted somewhere, lest we start losing good information in
            the Yahoo group

            Matthew