Slimserver 5.3.1

  • Thom Mason
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2004
      Using the full perl 5.6 on the kurobox binary distribution it is
      possible to run Slimserver 5.3.1 on the Linkstation. It is fairly
      slow indexing but generally seems to run OK. It was using about 30%
      of the memory with a 2500 song library.

      Thom
    • mphoust2
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
        When installing the perl binaries from the kuro_box binary.zip, dod
        you need to do anything besides un-tar them? If I un-tar it with
        no-overwrite, which that get all of the libraries slimserver needs?

        Thanks for any comments...

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
        <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

        > Using the full perl 5.6 on the kurobox binary distribution it is
        > possible to run Slimserver 5.3.1 on the Linkstation. It is fairly
        > slow indexing but generally seems to run OK. It was using about 30%
        > of the memory with a 2500 song library.
        >
        > Thom
      • Thom Mason
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
          I just untarred in /
          I think it is exactly the same as the perl distribution that came
          with the LinkStation (except that it has a more complete set of
          modules) so I don't think it matters whether you overwrite or not.
          In my case I move the /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 directory containing the
          perl modules to /usr/share/perl/old.5.6.1 and then untarred allowing
          overwrite. Then, once I verified the LinkStation web interface
          still worked properly (it uses perl) I removed the old.5.6.1
          directory. I then downloaded the tarball of Slimserver and ran
          Slimserve.pl from the commandline. In the end I decided I like mt-
          daapd better for serving mp3 to my Soundbridge.

          Thom
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mphoust2"
          <buffalo247@b...> wrote:

          > When installing the perl binaries from the kuro_box binary.zip, dod
          > you need to do anything besides un-tar them? If I un-tar it with
          > no-overwrite, which that get all of the libraries slimserver needs?
          >
          > Thanks for any comments...
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Thom Mason"
          > <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Using the full perl 5.6 on the kurobox binary distribution it is
          > > possible to run Slimserver 5.3.1 on the Linkstation. It is
          fairly
          > > slow indexing but generally seems to run OK. It was using about
          30%
          > > of the memory with a 2500 song library.
          > >
          > > Thom
        • gameon152001
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 14, 2004
            <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

            > [snip}
            > In the end I decided I like mt-
            > daapd better for serving mp3 to my Soundbridge.
            >
            > Thom
            > [endsnip]

            Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting up mt-
            daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an Apple
            Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for a
            mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
            haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out; but
            it sounds like you have... :-)

            TIA,
            Dick White
          • Thom Mason
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 15, 2004
              If someone can verify this works OK (it is from memory so I may have
              left soemthing out) I'll tidy it up and post it in the files area.

              mt-daapd on the Linkstation mini-howto:

              untar the Kurobox binaries need for compiling etc. You can download
              them from www.revogear.com. I put them in /mnt/opt/binary and made
              a symlink of /opt to /mnt/opt so as not to fill up the root
              partition too much. The packages you need are all those related to
              programming:

              autoconf
              automake
              binutils
              bison
              flex
              g++
              gcc
              gdb
              glibc
              libgdbm (this library is called by mt-daapd)
              libstdc
              m4
              make
              textutils

              deflate (gzip -d file.tar.gz) and then untar from / (tar
              xvf /opt/binary file.tar) each one

              Now you should be able to compile, install, etc...

              Get zlib from http://freshmeat.net/redir/zlib/12352/url_tgz/zlib-
              1.2.1.tar.gz

              untar in /opt and change to /opt/zlib-1.2.1 then do:

              ./configure
              make install

              Get libid3tag from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
              group_id=12349

              untar in /opt and change to /opt/libid3tag-0.15b then do:

              ./configure
              make install

              I used the Oct 10 nightly tarball of mt-daapd which works well with
              my Soundbridge from http://www.pedde.com/mt-daapd

              untar in /opt and change to /opt/mt-daapd-cvs-20041010

              ./configure --enable-browse --enable-query --with-id3tag=/usr/local
              make install

              cd to /opt/mt-daapd-cvs-20041010/contrib and edit mt-daapd.conf to
              customize to your mp3 directory. I also change db_dir to /opt/mt-
              daapd since /var is a ramdisk. I copied the admin-root directory
              from /usr/local/share/mt-daapd to /opt/mt-daapd and changed web-root
              in mt-daapd.conf. You can do the same with the playlist file. copy
              mt-daapd.conf to /etc.

              The startup script was borrowed from the nslu2 folks:

              mt-daapd startup script in /etc/init.d:
              #!/bin/sh

              # make sure our shared libraries are in the path.
              export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

              if [ -n "`pidof mt-daapd`" ] ; then
              killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
              fi

              sleep 2
              /usr/local/sbin/mt-daapd 2>/dev/null

              This will get it up and running, once it's scanned the library the
              web interface should be up at:

              http://buffalo:3689

              If you do

              ps -aux | grep mt-daapd

              you should see about six instances of the daemon.

              If there are problems check the log in /var/log/mt-daapd.log, if you
              enabled it in mt-daapd.conf (run in debug mode to get more verbose
              output)
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gameon152001"
              <gameon152001@y...> wrote:

              > Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting up
              mt-
              > daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an
              Apple
              > Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for a
              > mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
              > haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out; but
              > it sounds like you have... :-)
              >
              > TIA,
              > Dick White
            • sneed_siding
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 19, 2004
                <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

                > If someone can verify this works OK (it is from memory so I may
                have
                > left soemthing out) I'll tidy it up and post it in the files area.

                Thanks Thom. This worked great for me. The only thing I
                had to add was a link in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d (?) to start
                the daemon automatically on reboots.

                -Scott-
              • richone52
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 11, 2004
                  Hi Tom

                  I have tried to set up the linkstation but am kind of a newbie to
                  this. Can you also provide me the command string for the symlink
                  commands? I place my files and untared them to /mnt/opt and have
                  new directories under /mnt/opt called bin, etc,lib,sbin,usr

                  I created a new directory at root called /opt

                  I download and untared zlib-1.2.1 and when into the directory and
                  tried the ./configure and got many errors. (Most likely because of
                  no symlink command.

                  I know I don't know much but am trying to learn linux on the fly.

                  Sorry for the stupid questions but any step by step help would be
                  greatly appreciated. I want to eventually get byrequest loaded on
                  the system and see if it can be a tivo server.

                  Rich

                  <t.e.mason@c...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > If you do
                  >
                  > ps -aux | grep mt-daapd
                  >
                  > you should see about six instances of the daemon.
                  >
                  > If there are problems check the log in /var/log/mt-daapd.log, if
                  you
                  > enabled it in mt-daapd.conf (run in debug mode to get more verbose
                  > output)
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gameon152001"
                  > <gameon152001@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thom, do you have (or can you point me to) a how-to on setting
                  up
                  > mt-
                  > > daapd on the LinkStation? I've got a ton of MP3s on it and an
                  > Apple
                  > > Airport Express on the main house stereo. Since iTunes looks for
                  > > mt-daapd server for streaming, it would a useful addition, but I
                  > > haven't fooled with all of this stuff enough to figure it out;

                • Thom Mason
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 11, 2004
                    A symlink is like a shortcut in windows - it doesn't make a
                    duplicate of the file - just a pointer to it. The syntax is

                    ln -s /existing/file/name /new/symlink

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "richone52"

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 12, 2004
                      In /sbin is a program called mfdisk. I assumed it
                      worked like the i386 Linux "fdisk" program. Instead
                      it deleted the partition table and re-created only
                      partition 1 & 2, leaving the large partition 3 entry
                      empty, all without any warning or prompting.

                      In my case, with my Debian running happily on the
                      linkstation running simultaneously, I was able to hop
                      over to it and apt-get "testdisk" which is a partition
                      rescue utility, and get it back. Most people wouldn't
                      have this luxury, so beware.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com