Re: link fw_up145_14/3

  • velomisto
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jah_pix" <jah_pix@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE flashing things
      > .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however it worked this
      > time! yey.
      > and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet was no longer
      > open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i would like the link
      > for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if anyone can send, or
      > alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw upgrades will include a
      > telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea of downgradeing
      > firmware.
      >
      > btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which is more than can
      > be said for the external USB drive i added. I understood that it would
      > be formatted when the drive was to be added... what i didnt count on
      > is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change this?!!!!!!! now my
      > mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to swap files with
      > other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is buggy at best on
      win2k)

      > Now i learn that added usb drives are only for storing backups from
      > the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next firmware update we
      > could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate having NetBios open
      > on my network it just invites trouble.

      I checked today the ftp-link and yes, firmware 1.45_13 ist still there
      for download.

      ftp-server: 206.135.38.243
      user: public
      pass: new stuff

      Greets,
      VeloMisto
    • born_daniel
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
        So what's the deal with this enabling/disabling telnet all the time?
        by accident? Buffalo trying to stop the hacking of their LS to maybe
        force people who want to hack it/play around with it to buy the
        Kuro. Had the Kuro been as available as the LS to Canadians (bought
        it on Computerland.ca), I would have bought that instead but I only
        found out after buying the LS.

        Daniel

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
        <velomisto@y...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jah_pix"
        <jah_pix@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi!
        > >
        > > Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE flashing
        things
        > > .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however it worked
        this
        > > time! yey.
        > > and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet was no
        longer
        > > open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i would like the
        link
        > > for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if anyone can send,
        or
        > > alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw upgrades will
        include a
        > > telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea of
        downgradeing
        > > firmware.
        > >
        > > btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which is more
        than can
        > > be said for the external USB drive i added. I understood that it
        would
        > > be formatted when the drive was to be added... what i didnt
        count on
        > > is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change this?!!!!!!!
        now my
        > > mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to swap files
        with
        > > other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is buggy at best
        on
        > win2k)
        > >
        > > Now i learn that added usb drives are only for storing backups
        from
        > > the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next firmware update
        we
        > > could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate having
        NetBios open
        > > on my network it just invites trouble.
        >
        > I checked today the ftp-link and yes, firmware 1.45_13 ist still
        there
        > for download.
        >
        > ftp-server: 206.135.38.243
        > user: public
        > pass: new stuff
        >
        > Greets,
        > VeloMisto
      • Mike Quetel
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
          I would think it has to do with technical support and warranty for the
          device. When you haxor your LS, you may possibly bugger it in the
          process. I think most people here have no expectation of accessing
          Buffalo's support or warranty service if that happens... but others
          may. I would think Buffalo is discouraging (or at least raising the
          bar) on hacking for that reason. Support and warranty claims cost them
          money. The kuro may be marketed as hackable, but it has a very
          different warranty and support infrastructure (much less than an LS).

          My $0.02.

          MQ

          born_daniel wrote:

          > So what's the deal with this enabling/disabling telnet all the time?
          > by accident? Buffalo trying to stop the hacking of their LS to maybe
          > force people who want to hack it/play around with it to buy the
          > Kuro. Had the Kuro been as available as the LS to Canadians (bought
          > it on Computerland.ca), I would have bought that instead but I only
          > found out after buying the LS.
          >
          > Daniel
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "velomisto"
          > <velomisto@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jah_pix"
          > <jah_pix@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi!
          > > >
          > > > Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE flashing
          > things
          > > > .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however it worked
          > this
          > > > time! yey.
          > > > and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet was no
          > longer
          > > > open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i would like the
          > link
          > > > for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if anyone can send,
          > or
          > > > alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw upgrades will
          > include a
          > > > telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea of
          > downgradeing
          > > > firmware.
          > > >
          > > > btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which is more
          > than can
          > > > be said for the external USB drive i added. I understood that it
          > would
          > > > be formatted when the drive was to be added... what i didnt
          > count on
          > > > is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change this?!!!!!!!
          > now my
          > > > mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to swap files
          > with
          > > > other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is buggy at best
          > on
          > > win2k)
          > > >
          > > > Now i learn that added usb drives are only for storing backups
          > from
          > > > the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next firmware update
          > we
          > > > could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate having
          > NetBios open
          > > > on my network it just invites trouble.
          > >
          > > I checked today the ftp-link and yes, firmware 1.45_13 ist still
          > there
          > > for download.
          > >
          > > ftp-server: 206.135.38.243
          > > user: public
          > > pass: new stuff
          > >
          > > Greets,
          > > VeloMisto

        • Wilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
            If you don't like downgrading...you can backup
            everything from / in the new firmware to
            somewhere...also check out the kernel version.. then
            you flash back to older 1.45_13 and do a comparison on
            the files to see what they have been fixed....if it's
            just simple scripts in /etc/ or /www, then you can
            always patch it by yourself as root in 1.45_13 to
            behave as the new one.

            Who knows what Buffalo folk doing...may be the
            difference between the new firmware and the 145_13 is
            just disabling the telnet..if so, we can always use
            145_13.

            Wilson
            --- jah_pix <jah_pix@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > Well the upgrade was a success from 1.30 !!!! i HATE
            > flashing things
            > .. always has a 50-50 chance of going wrong, however
            > it worked this
            > time! yey.
            > and yes after a quick dirty nmap scan i found telnet
            > was no longer
            > open :( aww poo, ah well never mind .. however i
            > would like the link
            > for the 1.45_13 it would be much appreciated if
            > anyone can send, or
            > alternatively does anyone kow if any future fw
            > upgrades will include a
            > telnet/ssh facility? i dont really relish the idea
            > of downgradeing
            > firmware.
            >
            > btw my data was untouched through the upgrade!.Which
            > is more than can
            > be said for the external USB drive i added. I
            > understood that it would
            > be formatted when the drive was to be added... what
            > i didnt count on
            > is it formatting it EXT2 anyone know hoto change
            > this?!!!!!!! now my
            > mobile ext usb drive is no longer mobile enough to
            > swap files with
            > other windows users (unless i use Ltools, which is
            > buggy at best on win2k)
            >
            > Now i learn that added usb drives are only for
            > storing backups from
            > the linkstation :( . Any chance that in the next
            > firmware update we
            > could use external disks as ftp shares too? i hate
            > having NetBios open
            > on my network it just invites trouble.

            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
            http://my.yahoo.com
          • jah_pix
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
              born_daniel <born_daniel@...> writes:

              > So what's the deal with this enabling/disabling telnet all the time?
              > by accident? Buffalo trying to stop the hacking of their LS to maybe
              > force people who want to hack it/play around with it to buy the
              > Kuro. Had the Kuro been as available as the LS to Canadians (bought
              > it on Computerland.ca), I would have bought that instead but I only
              > found out after buying the LS.
              >
              > Daniel

              hrm buffalo against the hacker? lmao nevermind .. anyhow, how do they expect to
              get it improved if people dont find out anything about the LS? i mean its just a
              redrag putting linux based distro on it in the first place. Surely its because
              of all the "user" input/tinkering, the project is getting any further?.. i mean
              if it was only supposed to be a NAS then surely M$ firmware wouldve suficed..
              mind u then it really wouldve been exploit hell lol

              I cant help thinking that the telnet been open .. then next update, been
              closed.. its gotta be a prelude to them including it in a future update "beta"
              testing as it were.

              jus have to wait n see, btw this group has been invaluble to me recently .. just
              taking time out to say Tah! much appreciated.
            • born_daniel
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                > btw this group has been invaluble to me recently .. just
                > taking time out to say Tah! much appreciated.

                Yeah, no kidding. Thanks everyone for your contributions. It's made
                a difference for me too.

                Daniel
              • irvine_stock
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                  Maybe I missed something here but can't you still log into the
                  console port of the Linkstation if you solder in the internal serial
                  port?
                  If you are hacking, adding this is very simple anyway. I just plug
                  mine in when I want to see what the box is upto when the TELNET is
                  not working. I included a link on the kuro wiki to show how to do
                  it is below. (Same board, I have a couple of both)

                  [http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?
                  page=AddTheInternalSerialPort&PHPSESSID=a5adf03fcf0d24741fd3aa4854656
                  513]

                  Then you should be able to turn the telnet back on permanently,
                  Right? This would give you the latest firmware and telnet.

                  Rich

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                  <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

                  > > btw this group has been invaluble to me recently .. just
                  > > taking time out to say Tah! much appreciated.
                  >
                  > Yeah, no kidding. Thanks everyone for your contributions. It's
                  made
                  > a difference for me too.
                  >
                  > Daniel
                • Wilson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                    If this is the case, you first need to make sure the
                    root password from all the pre-1.45_14 are not
                    overwrote by the new firmware. So that you can still
                    login as root via the console. Otherwise, there's no
                    way to enable the telnet (mostly in inetd.conf) and
                    send a HUP to read the file.

                    the other way one MAY do to re-enable the telnet is to
                    take out the HD and mount it with the linux
                    workstation (with a fixed ext2fs)..but this is the
                    theory..I don't know if it'll work or not. But as I
                    suggest in other email....if the difference between
                    the new firmware and the 1.45_13 are only minor
                    scripts and configuration files fix..but not the
                    system library or so....one may be able to get a diff
                    on those files..and create an unoffical update package
                    to patch from 1.45_13 to 1.45_14.

                    just my 2 cents.

                    --- irvine_stock <r_obermeyer@...> wrote:

                    > Maybe I missed something here but can't you still
                    > log into the
                    > console port of the Linkstation if you solder in the
                    > internal serial
                    > port?
                    > If you are hacking, adding this is very simple
                    > anyway. I just plug
                    > mine in when I want to see what the box is upto when
                    > the TELNET is
                    > not working. I included a link on the kuro wiki to
                    > show how to do
                    > it is below. (Same board, I have a couple of both)
                    >
                    > [http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?

                    page=AddTheInternalSerialPort&PHPSESSID=a5adf03fcf0d24741fd3aa4854656
                    > 513]
                    >
                    > Then you should be able to turn the telnet back on
                    > permanently,
                    > Right? This would give you the latest firmware and
                    > telnet.
                    >
                    > Rich

                    > "born_daniel"
                    > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > btw this group has been invaluble to me recently
                    > .. just
                    > > > taking time out to say Tah! much appreciated.
                    > >
                    > > Yeah, no kidding. Thanks everyone for your
                    > contributions. It's
                    > made
                    > > a difference for me too.
                    > >
                    > > Daniel

                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • Marc Bizer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                      On 1/7/05 at 2:16 PM -0800, Wilson wrote:
                      >if the difference between the new firmware and the 1.45_13

                      What's the difference between 1.44_15 and 1.45_13?

                      --Marc
                    • jah_pix
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                        Wilson <sonsondei@...> writes:

                        > If this is the case, you first need to make sure the
                        > root password from all the pre-1.45_14 are not
                        > overwrote by the new firmware. So that you can still
                        > login as root via the console. Otherwise, there's no
                        > way to enable the telnet (mostly in inetd.conf) and
                        > send a HUP to read the file.
                        >
                        > the other way one MAY do to re-enable the telnet is to
                        > take out the HD and mount it with the linux
                        > workstation (with a fixed ext2fs)..but this is the
                        > theory..I don't know if it'll work or not. But as I
                        > suggest in other email....if the difference between
                        > the new firmware and the 1.45_13 are only minor
                        > scripts and configuration files fix..but not the
                        > system library or so....one may be able to get a diff
                        > on those files..and create an unoffical update package
                        > to patch from 1.45_13 to 1.45_14.
                        >
                        > just my 2 cents.

                        Hrm...,
                        well that goes right over my head lol but as i have an "interest" in linux i
                        would be open to some suggestions on howto get some output out of the 1.45_14
                        update if someone will guide me to i ... i am not very versed in linux ways but
                        eager to learn.
                      • Andrew Hodgson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 7, 2005
                          Wilson.

                          One issue with the disk moving is that disk has a hack on it to stop it
                          being mounted in anything other than the Linkstations firmware. There
                          is a fix to fix this, however, I am not sure whether newer revisions of
                          firmware will overwrite it.

                          Andrew.